knotting solution

Old April 23rd 12, 09:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default knotting solution

Hi,

About three years ago I put up some architrave that I know I painted
with knotting solution yet the knots are starting to show through the
paint. What could have gone wrong?

I always coat any knot by brushing on one coat of knotting solution.
Should I apply more than one coat or should I apply it more thickly?

I see Ronseal now make an all-in-one primer, undercoat, and knot
blocker. Has anyone used it? Reading the tin you need two coats, so I
suppose there is little advantage over using one coat of primer and
one coat of undercoat but if the knot-blocking part works, it could be
useful. Has anyone used this?

TIA
Old April 23rd 12, 10:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:56:03 +0100, Fred
wrote:

Hi,

About three years ago I put up some architrave that I know I painted
with knotting solution yet the knots are starting to show through the
paint. What could have gone wrong?

I always coat any knot by brushing on one coat of knotting solution.
Should I apply more than one coat or should I apply it more thickly?

ISTR knotting is two coats but whether that's just for extra consumption &
repurchase?

whose was it? cheapo or kwolity?

clear nail varnish also works well.

Jim K
Old April 23rd 12, 10:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 08:56:03 +0100, Fred wrote:

About three years ago I put up some architrave that I know I painted
with knotting solution yet the knots are starting to show through the
paint.

"Show through" as in blister and ooze resin or just slight
discolouration in a pale paint?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old April 23rd 12, 11:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

clear nail varnish also works well.

Does it? Logically it should, the varnish being insoluble in turpentine
type solvents. Much more convenient to use too with that little brush
and all.
Old April 23rd 12, 06:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 8:56*am, Fred wrote:
Hi,

About three years ago I put up some architrave that I know I painted
with knotting solution yet the knots are starting to show through the
paint. What could have gone wrong?

I always coat any knot by brushing on one coat of knotting solution.
Should I apply more than one coat or should I apply it more thickly?

I see Ronseal now make an all-in-one primer, undercoat, and knot
blocker. Has anyone used it? Reading the tin you need two coats, so I
suppose there is little advantage over using one coat of primer and
one coat of undercoat but if the knot-blocking part works, it could be
useful. Has anyone used this?

TIA

The alternative treatment is to heat the knot with a blowlamp. Burns/
evaporates the resin out.
Old April 23rd 12, 07:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
Hi,

About three years ago I put up some architrave that I know I painted
with knotting solution yet the knots are starting to show through the
paint. What could have gone wrong?

I always coat any knot by brushing on one coat of knotting solution.
Should I apply more than one coat or should I apply it more thickly?

I see Ronseal now make an all-in-one primer, undercoat, and knot
blocker. Has anyone used it? Reading the tin you need two coats, so I
suppose there is little advantage over using one coat of primer and
one coat of undercoat but if the knot-blocking part works, it could be
useful. Has anyone used this?

TIA

A good coat of shellac perhaps. That's all (decent) knotting solution is.

Old April 23rd 12, 07:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:25:30 +0100, "Jim K"
wrote:

ISTR knotting is two coats but whether that's just for extra consumption &
repurchase?

whose was it

It was from Toolstation and was branded as a Toolstation own brand. I
notice that they currently show a branded product on there web site:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Knot...n+500ml/p28317

So perhaps they have changed suppliers since I bought mine; it was a
few years ago.
Old April 23rd 12, 07:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:38:36 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

"Show through" as in blister and ooze resin or just slight
discolouration in a pale paint?

No blisters or oozing, just a brown discolouration on white paint.
Old April 30th 12, 10:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:15:45 +0100, "Nick"
wrote:

A good coat of shellac perhaps. That's all (decent) knotting solution is.

What colour is shellac? Is it what gives knotting solution it's brown
colour?

I found I had a tin of the ronseal in the garage. I must have bought
it to try and forgotten about it. It is water based a white, which is
why I wonder whether it is something other than shellac. The blurb on
the tin talks about advanced polymers etc. but that could just be the
marketing department talking.

I have tried some on the skirting board and architrave; I'll let you
know if it works but you will have to wait three years

Solution thegirl Home Repair 0 May 14th 10 07:30 PM
Knotting Peter UK diy 2 November 3rd 06 07:27 PM
How to wind a trimmer wire to stop it knotting up? dean Home Repair 9 October 6th 05 11:11 PM