kitchen cabinet opening restrictor

Old April 21st 12, 01:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kitchen cabinet opening restrictor

Just fitted the end kitchen cabinet, hinges are salice soft close hinges 110 degree, they dont supply 90 degree in that hinge pattern.
I need a little screw on thing to restrict the opening to 90 degrees so the door does not hit the wall.
Something about the size of a normal door hinge, but not needing the round cutout in the door etc.
Obviously would have to cope with the cam-type action of the hinge.
I don't really want a chain or bit of web strapping.

Cheers,
Simon.
Old April 21st 12, 01:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 04:01:04 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

Just fitted the end kitchen cabinet, hinges are salice soft close hinges 110 degree, they dont supply 90 degree in that hinge pattern.
I need a little screw on thing to restrict the opening to 90 degrees so the door does not hit the wall.
Something about the size of a normal door hinge, but not needing the round cutout in the door etc.
Obviously would have to cope with the cam-type action of the hinge.
I don't really want a chain or bit of web strapping.

The forces on the thingummyjig that you want are going to be amplified
by the leverage applied by the door and consequently the fastenings to
the door and cabinet and the materials are going to have to be really
good if they are not going to be pulled out. Would it not be possible
to fit something energy-absorbing to the wall or the floor instead?

Nick
Old April 21st 12, 02:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just fitted the end kitchen cabinet, hinges are salice soft close hinges 110 degree, they dont supply 90 degree in that hinge pattern.
I need a little screw on thing to restrict the opening to 90 degrees so the door does not hit the wall.
Something about the size of a normal door hinge, but not needing the round cutout in the door etc.
Obviously would have to cope with the cam-type action of the hinge.
I don't really want a chain or bit of web strapping.

The forces on the thingummyjig that you want are going to be amplified
by the leverage applied by the door and consequently the fastenings to
the door and cabinet and the materials are going to have to be really
good if they are not going to be pulled out. Would it not be possible
to fit something energy-absorbing to the wall or the floor instead?

Nick

True. Mind you the cabinet hinges themselves take such forces. They often have a slightly sprung limiter to take it.

I used the energy aborbing method in the bathroom - a little sticky pad (one half of velcro) to take the knob on the bathroom cabinet.
But something like that would look crap in the kitchen, and its the door itself hitting then wall / window reveal corner.

Someone suggested some stainless steel cable with crimped eyes on each end fixed with pan-head screws would look OK.

Simon.
Old April 21st 12, 02:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

news:[email protected]6...

wrote:

[...]

Something like
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GREAVES-CO-W.../dp/9792133739
?

Old April 21st 12, 03:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 05:06:28 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

I used the energy aborbing method in the bathroom

Hmm... usually somebody's sleepy head, in my experience.
Old April 21st 12, 06:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
1442520.1.1335006064324.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbx14,
sm_jamieson writes
Just fitted the end kitchen cabinet, hinges are salice soft close
hinges 110 degree, they dont supply 90 degree in that hinge pattern.
I need a little screw on thing to restrict the opening to 90 degrees so
the door does not hit the wall.
Something about the size of a normal door hinge, but not needing the
round cutout in the door etc.
Obviously would have to cope with the cam-type action of the hinge.
I don't really want a chain or bit of web strapping.

Peg and quadrant or linear slot?

As found on tool box opening trays.

Fit it under the shelf to avoid losing space?

regards

--
Tim Lamb