Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dent in wooden kitchen worktop?

What is the best way of dealing with a small dent in a kitchen worktop,
caused by a cup dropping on the wood?
Is there any way of reducing the size of the dent?
I think the wood is teak, though I am not sure of that.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 21, 12:31*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
What is the best way of dealing with a small dent in a kitchen worktop,
caused by a cup dropping on the wood?
Is there any way of reducing the size of the dent?
I think the wood is teak, though I am not sure of that.

Place damp cloth over it. Add hot iron, and the wood under it expands
back out.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

What is the best way of dealing with a small dent in a kitchen worktop,
caused by a cup dropping on the wood?

Place damp cloth over it. Add hot iron, and the wood under it expands
back out.

Thanks. I'll try that.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2012 12:45, NT wrote:
On Apr 21, 12:31 pm, Timothy wrote:
What is the best way of dealing with a small dent in a kitchen worktop,
caused by a cup dropping on the wood?
Is there any way of reducing the size of the dent?
I think the wood is teak, though I am not sure of that.

Place damp cloth over it. Add hot iron, and the wood under it expands
back out.

What he said...

It forces steam into the crushed fibres and makes them swell.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 04:45:29 -0700 (PDT), NT wrote:

Place damp cloth over it. Add hot iron, and the wood under it expands
back out.

Yes.

In addition, localise the heat by placing a dent-sized bit of metal betwen the
iron and the cloth.

You may have to re-oil the wood where the dent was, but the chances of
completely steaming out the dent are extemely good. You might want to practice
on a bit of wood (cutting board? scrap?) first -- pound it with a hammer, see
what steams back out.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
What is the best way of dealing with a small dent in a kitchen worktop,
caused by a cup dropping on the wood?
Is there any way of reducing the size of the dent?
I think the wood is teak, though I am not sure of that.

I think you may have inadvertantly answered my query about wooden worktops
:-(

Given the damage and faff of repairing it, would you go for wooden worktops
again?

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 07:58:30 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

I think you may have inadvertantly answered my query about wooden worktops:-(

Given the damage and faff of repairing it, would you go for wooden worktops again?

A lot easier to repair a dent or burn in a wooden worktop than a melamine-coated
one. The melamine won't dent or burn nearly as easily, but if it does, you'll be
routing in a plate of something, or replacing the lot. And by getting the
granite top instead, you've made sure it won't dent -- but also that the cup
will never survive the drop.

Just get what you like the look of, and feel comfortable paying for: wood,
melamine, stainless, tile, stone -- it'll all wear out eventually:-)

Thomas Prufer

Cutting kitchen worktop that is already fixed in a kitchen. Rob Horton UK diy 15 June 16th 09 08:11 AM
kitchen worktop mpt1978 UK diy 1 March 18th 08 07:44 PM
kitchen worktop Cuprager UK diy 12 January 31st 06 10:56 AM
Kitchen Worktop alexbartman UK diy 2 August 31st 05 12:15 AM
Kitchen worktop jig MattP Woodworking 5 March 17th 04 05:50 AM