Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler Leak - Any Worcester-Bosch Experts Out There Please?

Hi all

Sorting breakfast this morning, I noticed water dripping from the front RH
corner of my W-B 24Ri condensing (not combi so no cold water feed) boiler.
The boiler is 6 years old and has been reliable so far.

This is clear water, almost sure it's not the heating circuit content (due
to no Fernox evident).
So my first thought is condensed water. Removed the lower (underneath)
cover and there was no sign of water around the condensate outlet elbow, or
the canister above it. The water seemed to be coming from quite high up.
I don't mess with boilers, so have called the installers/servicers to have a
look, but would like to know the possible sources and therefore an idea of
repair cost.

Is it possible that driving rain has got into the flue and drained back to
the boiler? The weather has been wild here in East Yorkshire overnight and
this morning.

As the boiler warmed up, the leak stopped so I'm guessing a dodgy joint on
condensate somewhere (but where?) or rain ingress if that's even possible.

Comments/suggestions appreciated.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:37:13 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

Is it possible that driving rain has got into the flue and drained back
to the boiler? The weather has been wild here in East Yorkshire
overnight and this morning.

A possibilty, it was pretty wild up here last night. Did you have any
powder snow last night? That is terrible stuff for getting through
tiny holes and getting carried deep into and building up in places
that rain won't reach. It then melts... The wind last night was also
NNE'ly which isn't all that common a direction.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Is it possible that driving rain has got into the flue and drained back
to the boiler? The weather has been wild here in East Yorkshire
overnight and this morning.

A possibilty, it was pretty wild up here last night. Did you have any
powder snow last night? That is terrible stuff for getting through
tiny holes and getting carried deep into and building up in places
that rain won't reach. It then melts... The wind last night was also
NNE'ly which isn't all that common a direction.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thanks Dave

No powder snow, more like sleat and driving rain from what I saw this
morning.

The guy who called blamed rain ingress and also a dodgy seal - my wife's
update sent to me just now reads:

"combination of wind direction driving rain inside & the large seal at
bottom of ?condenser? was leaking. This has been turned round and is
watertight again."

What I don't understand is, if the rain drives into the "condensing" part of
the flue, I would expect it to simply mix with the condensed vapour and exit
the boiler via the condensate trap/drain. If it enters the vapour outlet
part of the flue, how does it drain through the boiler past the burners
etc.?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 13:51:35 +0100, TheScullster
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

[...]

ask him when you get his bill?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2012 14:05, Jim K wrote:
On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 13:51:35 +0100, TheScullster
wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

[...]

FWIW we had problems with the pump on our 24i. Very slow leak to start
with, which the warmth from the boiler dried out before it appeared
externally. WB engineer said their pump seals weren't that great. Bottom
right about an inch from the front IIRC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 13:51:35 +0100, TheScullster wrote:

What I don't understand is, if the rain drives into the "condensing"
part of the flue, I would expect it to simply mix with the condensed
vapour and exit the boiler via the condensate trap/drain. If it enters
the vapour outlet part of the flue, how does it drain through the boiler
past the burners etc.?

You can pour water down the flue outlet and it'll go out into the
condensate drain!

If water (or snow etc) were getting into the air intake (the outer part
of the concentric flue assembly) I think it would end up in the boiler
casing - a thin steel box surrounding the heat exchanger, gas valve, fan
etc, with a soft tubular rubber seal against which the white outer case
presses. That seal might let water dribble out.

--
John Stumbles

I don't want to be part of a club that would have someone like me as a
member.

--
John Stumbles

It's bad luck to be superstitious.