cat deterrents (DIY)

Old March 22nd 12, 01:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cat deterrents (DIY)

Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

I have a toddler and I know dog mess contains germs that can cause
blindness, I don't know whether the same is true of what the cats
leave behind, but regardless, I don't really want him playing with it!

I have searched the internet and it claims some smells act as a
deterrent: citronella is one suggestion. How volatile is that? Would
it evaporate too quickly?

Many of he powders available from B&Q and garden centres seem to
contain pepper. The problem with these seems to be that the smell
washes away after the rain and has to be topped up. Is there a
catering supplier I could get very large (kg) quantities of pepper
from cheaply?

Ammonia seems to be another suggestion and Jeyes fluid. Again Idon't
know how volatile these are and the ingredients in Jeyes sound almost
as unfriendly as the cat litter!

There was a product that used to be highly recommended which was a PIR
activated water spray. I don't imagine it was intelligent enough to
aim and target the intruder, so I presume it just operated a wide fan
spray? Is that right?

I think these are 40-50 and I would need more than one, which makes
things expensive. I could make one. I have seen 12v dc solenoid valves
but do such things as 12v PIR exist? The ones I have seen are 240v for
lights. I'd prefer not to mix and match voltages and SELV would be
better for obvious reasons.

The RSPB web site seems to favour ultrasonic deterrents but these cost
as much. Has anyone made their own? Does anyone know the ideal
frequency? I remember using 40kHz piezo transducers once upon a time
but I wonder whether they would be loud enough or the right pitch.
Again PIR controlled but I think either of these could be made DIY for
a fraction of the retail price.

What do you think?
Old March 22nd 12, 02:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

SNIPPED

What do you think?

Chicken manure - that does the trick in stopping the cats from from messing
up the garden, and it's also a bloody good fertiliser. No good for car and
fence problems though.

Cash

Old March 22nd 12, 02:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2012 13:53, Stephen wrote:
[...]

Have you tried this?
http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/to...id.2000004185/
[I haven't - but would be interested to know whether it actually works!]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 22nd 12, 02:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 1:53*pm, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

I have a toddler and I know dog mess contains germs that can cause
blindness, I don't know whether the same is true of what the cats
leave behind, but regardless, I don't really want him playing with it!

it can be pretty bad with cats too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasma_gondii

This bacterai has an effect on the brain and they believ that;'s why
'cat women
i.le those that lok after or keep a lot of cats tend to be slightly
mad.

But personally I think Y chromsomes create madness ;-)

tend

[...]

The council might see them as hoese pipes and charge you during the
drought
anything rather than get the water companies repairing leeks.

I think these are 40-50 and I would need more than one, which makes
things expensive. I could make one. I have seen 12v dc solenoid valves
but do such things as 12v PIR exist? The ones I have seen are 240v for
lights. I'd prefer not to mix and match voltages and SELV would be
better for obvious reasons.

The RSPB web site seems to favour ultrasonic deterrents but these cost
as much. Has anyone made their own? Does anyone know the ideal
frequency? I remember using 40kHz piezo transducers once upon a time
but I wonder whether they would be loud enough or the right pitch.
Again PIR controlled but I think either of these could be made DIY for
a fraction of the retail price.

What do you think?

I've heard that dried tiger/lion **** works as they smell that as a
predictor and keep away.
I guess keeping one of teh above wopuld definantly work, not sure
where you'd aquire
lion/tiger ****.
well obvious really just take a trip down the amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-roar-...2425480&sr=8-6

I'n not saying this works as I''ve never tested it.

I've heard that sonic ones last for a few weeks and the animals cat/
dogs/mice/rats eventually get used to the noise.

Old March 22nd 12, 02:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 1:53*pm, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

Thereby creating an nice cat toilet I suspect. I have an area covered
in 2" pebbles that the cats don't crap on and it is easier enough to
grow plants through.

The only real deterents seem to be large territorial cats of your own
or a small cat-chasing dog. At least a dog can be trained to crap in
the same place.

Matt
Old March 22nd 12, 02:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2012 13:53, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel....

Cats like pea gravel even more than soil, so I hope you used at least
20mm grid chippings.

Ammonia seems to be another suggestion and Jeyes fluid. Again Idon't
know how volatile these are and the ingredients in Jeyes sound almost
as unfriendly as the cat litter!...

While wet, Jeyes fluid is highly toxic to cats, although it is safe once
dry, so must be used with care, unless you fancy a visit from the RSPCA.
I found it very useful as a dog repellent on an open fronted driveway,
but the cats didn't seem to notice it.

Colin Bignell
Old March 22nd 12, 02:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

A dog helps....

I've heard ground coffee is a good repellent - just throw the used coffee
beans around the garden, apparently other animals' manure is good as well as
mentioned below.

I've used Zoflora on my patio and the smell seems to linger for 3-4 days,
you only need a little bit in a watering can full of water.

Old March 22nd 12, 03:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

What do you think?

Is this any help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

Tim
Old March 22nd 12, 04:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2012 15:59, Tim Downie wrote:
Stephen wrote:

What do you think?

Is this any help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

Tim

Now that was good!!!

I thought cats were smarter.
Old March 22nd 12, 04:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

What is it about yoofa today and their inability to shave?

JGH

Seagull deterrents Jim S UK diy 14 September 4th 10 01:46 PM
Mouse deterrents TheOldFellow UK diy 29 September 18th 09 11:48 AM
What are the most effective deterrents to home burglars? Ablang Home Ownership 0 December 20th 08 07:40 PM
Cat Deterrents Donwill UK diy 27 February 18th 07 02:27 PM
Mouse deterrents? FurPaw Home Repair 8 October 8th 04 12:06 AM