Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT The 1970s

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:21:29 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

BBC2 tonight at 9.00pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01glsyl

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2012/04/the-70s.shtml

It might be of interest to some posters. I did say it was OT.
I count myself fortunate to have been living overseas for the whole of
the 70s. Looks like it was Britain's ****tiest decade ever.

Am I the only one that knows that Britain has been bankrupt since the
end of WW2?

Technically, Britain isn't bankrupt at the moment, as we are owed about
100 Billion dollars more by other contries than we owe them.

Unless you're talking about moral bankruptcy, in which case it started
in the 1920s, according to some, and the 1960s according to others.

Wasn't it the 1980s when Thatcher said it was OK to do do anything you
could get away with to succeed.
She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured the
Falklands War.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

[...]

I liked the 80's:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Hugh - Was Invisible" wrote in message
newsp.wcvoeiz8gtk8fg@hugh-lap...

Wasn't it the 1980s when Thatcher said it was OK to do do anything you
could get away with to succeed.
She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured the
Falklands War.

I bet you think she was an alien lizard that got the alien lizard running
Argentina to invade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote
John Williamson wrote
Mr Pounder wrote
Tim Streater wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

BBC2 tonight at 9.00pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01glsyl

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2012/04/the-70s.shtml

It might be of interest to some posters. I did say it was OT.

I count myself fortunate to have been living overseas for the whole of
the 70s. Looks like it was Britain's ****tiest decade ever.

Am I the only one that knows that Britain has been bankrupt since the
end of WW2?

Technically, Britain isn't bankrupt at the moment, as we are owed about
100 Billion dollars more by other contries than we owe them.

Unless you're talking about moral bankruptcy, in which case it started
in the 1920s, according to some, and the 1960s according to others.

Wasn't it the 1980s when Thatcher said it was OK to do do anything you
could get away with to succeed.

She never said that.

She was heading for a huge election defeat

Yes.

until she manufactured the Falklands War.

That's a lie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

BBC2 tonight at 9.00pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01glsyl

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2012/04/the-70s.shtml

It might be of interest to some posters. I did say it was OT.
I count myself fortunate to have been living overseas for the whole
of the 70s. Looks like it was Britain's ****tiest decade ever.
Am I the only one that knows that Britain has been bankrupt since
the end of WW2?

Technically, Britain isn't bankrupt at the moment, as we are owed
about 100 Billion dollars more by other contries than we owe them.

Unless you're talking about moral bankruptcy, in which case it started
in the 1920s, according to some, and the 1960s according to others.

Wasn't it the 1980s when Thatcher said it was OK to do do anything you
could get away with to succeed.

and then Tony Blair took her advice..

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured the
Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured the
Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds and
ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time, is where
most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 14:02:01 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured the
Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds and
ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time, is where
most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

Colin Bignell

If you discount the military and mineral implications, I guess so.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured
the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds
and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time,
is where most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

That's called surrender in my dictionary. And Mrs T was not Italian.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Apr 17, 2:13 pm, Tim Streater wrote:
It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds and
ask them to relocated to a Scottish island,

And if you feel that ethnic cleansing is OK.

For a million quid I think I'd be willing to be ethnically cleansed to
a Scottish island.

For a million quid I wouldn't need to be ethnically cleansed. Id move
somewhere warm.

Especially now with broadband and Amazon.

Owain

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

For a million quid I wouldn't need to be ethnically cleansed. Id move
somewhere warm.

Like Argentina?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
For a million quid I wouldn't need to be ethnically cleansed. Id move
somewhere warm.

You implied you were already a millionaire?

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured the
Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds and
ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time, is where
most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

Scottish Islands don't have penguins, so they'd have had to come too.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
For a million quid I wouldn't need to be ethnically cleansed. Id move
somewhere warm.

You implied you were already a millionaire?

yes but I would now be worth 2million.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You implied you were already a millionaire?

yes but I would now be worth 2million.

Depends what you mean by worth.

--
*Who is this General Failure chap anyway - and why is he reading my HD? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2012 14:24, ARWadsworth wrote:
Nightjar wrote:
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured
the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds
and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time,
is where most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

That's called surrender in my dictionary. And Mrs T was not Italian.

I have little doubt that she would have been quite willing to leave the
islanders to their fate, if that had been the politically best policy
and if the geology of the seabed around the Falklands were not very
similar to that of the North Sea oil fields.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:21:39 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You implied you were already a millionaire?

yes but I would now be worth 2million.

Depends what you mean by worth.

Quite. With a very similar house to your own just down the road on
the market for 1.1 million Mr Plowman you are quite likely to be a
"millionaire" as well. These days it's not all that hard to be one.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2012 19:04, Tim Streater wrote:

Nightjar wrote:
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured
the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds
and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time,
is where most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

That's called surrender in my dictionary. And Mrs T was not Italian.

I have little doubt that she would have been quite willing to leave
the islanders to their fate, if that had been the politically best
policy and if the geology of the seabed around the Falklands were not
very similar to that of the North Sea oil fields.

Don't be silly. She'd have lasted five minutes in office with a policy
like that.

I did say if it had been politically the best policy, which obviously it
was not.

You're also seriously misreading her character.

Nobody gets to be PM without a serious lust for power.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote
Nightjar wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote

She was heading for a huge election defeat
until she manufactured the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds
and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time, is
where most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

If you discount the military and mineral implications, I guess so.

There were no military implications.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote
Bob Eager wrote
Nightjar wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured the
Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds and
ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time, is where
most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

If you discount the military and mineral implications, I guess so.

And if you feel that ethnic cleansing is OK.

It wouldnt have been ethnic cleansing, some would have chosen to
stay just like some did when HongKong was handed back to China.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 17/04/12 17:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:21:39 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You implied you were already a millionaire?

yes but I would now be worth 2million.

Depends what you mean by worth.

Quite. With a very similar house to your own just down the road on
the market for 1.1 million Mr Plowman you are quite likely to be a
"millionaire" as well. These days it's not all that hard to be one.

Not so long ago a million would buy you somewhere nice to live and still
leave enough in the bank to live an affluent life. Now the interest on a
million is a comfortable income but certainly would not fund a
millionaires lifestyle. These days you need something like an *income*
of a million per year (and assured for more than just a couple of peak
earning years) to live like a millionaire.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

Thats not right, some end up PM by default like Major did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Rod Speed" wrote:

Tim Streater wrote
Bob Eager wrote
Nightjar wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured
the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds
and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time,
is where most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

If you discount the military and mineral implications, I guess so.

And if you feel that ethnic cleansing is OK.

It wouldnt have been ethnic cleansing, some would have chosen to
stay just like some did when HongKong was handed back to China.

Difference is that HK was full of Chinese. No Argentinians living on the
Falklands, and never have been.

Irrelevant to whether some would have chosen to stay.

Plenty had their kids educated in Argy schools etc so they
would likely have chosen to stay under new ownership, just
like happened with HongKong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

Your argument being that he didn't want it?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:34:30 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

No Argentinians living on the
Falklands, and never have been.

Bingo.
Got it in one.
After all, the islands are what, 250 miles away from Argentina?
It's just geography and they can go **** themselves.

I wasn't in favour of the Falklands War, the way it had been brought
about, but I wasn't in favour of some bunch of wogs taking the islands
over by force.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nightjar wrote
Tim Streater wrote
Nightjar wrote
ARWadsworth wrote
Nightjar wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

No, that he didnt have a serious lust for power,
just ended up PM once Maggie got assassinated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured the
Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million pounds and
ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at the time, is where
most people in Britain probably thought the Falklands were.

Colin Bignell

Ha!
At the time a mate of mine said that the wops had invaded the channel
islands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2012 23:42, Rod Speed wrote:
Nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nightjar wrote
Tim Streater wrote
Nightjar wrote
ARWadsworth wrote
Nightjar wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

You can't see that, without a lust for power, he would not have been in
a position to become PM, whatever the circumstances of actually getting
there? Maggie might have been more ruthless than most, but even failed
pretenders don't get to that level of government without wanting power.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Nightjar wrote
Tim Streater wrote
Nightjar wrote
ARWadsworth wrote
Nightjar wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

Thats fantasy. He only got to be PM because of the **** fight
between those who did lust for power and assassinated Maggie.

. Maggie might have been more ruthless than most, but even failed
pretenders don't get to that level of government without wanting power.

Major wasnt a failed pretender.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

He gave it to Edwina:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she
manufactured the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million
pounds and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at
the time, is where most people in Britain probably thought the
Falklands were. Colin Bignell

Ha!
At the time a mate of mine said that the wops had invaded the channel
islands.

And had the Falklands fallen then Gibraltar would have been next.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote
Mr Pounder wrote
Nightjar wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured the
Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million
pounds and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at
the time, is where most people in Britain probably thought the
Falklands were. Colin Bignell

Ha!
At the time a mate of mine said that the wops had invaded the channel
islands.

And had the Falklands fallen

That wouldn’t have happened. The yanks were keeping
an eye on what was happening and would have ****ed
over the Argys if there had been any possibility of that.

Turned out the Argys were so completely ****ing
hopeless that the yanks werent needed.

then Gibraltar would have been next.

Nope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
She was heading for a huge election defeat until she
manufactured the Falklands War.
*shrug* takes two to tango.
It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million
pounds and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at
the time, is where most people in Britain probably thought the
Falklands were. Colin Bignell

Ha!
At the time a mate of mine said that the wops had invaded the channel
islands.

And had the Falklands fallen then Gibraltar would have been next.

And the finniest thing is, that is Spain as well as us the Argies are
****ing over this time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9714254.stm

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote
Mr Pounder wrote
Nightjar wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she
manufactured the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million
pounds and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at
the time, is where most people in Britain probably thought the
Falklands were. Colin Bignell

Ha!
At the time a mate of mine said that the wops had invaded the
channel islands.

And had the Falklands fallen

That wouldn’t have happened. The yanks were keeping
an eye on what was happening and would have ****ed
over the Argys if there had been any possibility of that.

In your dreams.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote
Mr Pounder wrote
Nightjar wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she
manufactured the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a million
pounds and ask them to relocated to a Scottish island, which, at
the time, is where most people in Britain probably thought the
Falklands were. Colin Bignell

Ha!
At the time a mate of mine said that the wops had invaded the
channel islands.

And had the Falklands fallen

That wouldn’t have happened. The yanks were keeping
an eye on what was happening and would have ****ed
over the Argys if there had been any possibility of that.

In your dreams.

Nope, it’s a fact. That was Raygun and Maggie, don’t forget.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote
Mr Pounder wrote
Nightjar wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she
manufactured the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a
million pounds and ask them to relocated to a Scottish
island, which, at the time, is where most people in Britain
probably thought the Falklands were. Colin Bignell

Ha!
At the time a mate of mine said that the wops had invaded the
channel islands.

And had the Falklands fallen

That wouldn’t have happened. The yanks were keeping
an eye on what was happening and would have ****ed
over the Argys if there had been any possibility of that.

In your dreams.

Nope, it’s a fact. That was Raygun and Maggie, don’t forget.

No. They would have left us in the ****. Raygun liked mad military
dictatorships in South America.

And TBH the decision to retake the Falklands was probably not Thatchers.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote
Rod Speed wrote
ARWadsworth wrote
Rod Speed wrote
ARWadsworth wrote
Mr Pounder wrote
Nightjar wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote

She was heading for a huge election defeat until she manufactured
the Falklands War.

*shrug* takes two to tango.

It would have been cheaper to give every inhabitant a
million pounds and ask them to relocated to a Scottish
island, which, at the time, is where most people in Britain
probably thought the Falklands were. Colin Bignell

Ha!
At the time a mate of mine said that the wops had invaded the channel
islands.

And had the Falklands fallen

That wouldn’t have happened. The yanks were keeping
an eye on what was happening and would have ****ed
over the Argys if there had been any possibility of that.

In your dreams.

Nope, it’s a fact. That was Raygun and Maggie, don’t forget.

No.

Fraid so.

They would have left us in the ****.

Fantasy. That was the time when they ****ed over Grenada
just go give the yanks some practice at a real live fire exercise
and with Nicaragua in spades.

Raygun liked mad military dictatorships in South America.

He wanted to **** Maggy even more.

And TBH the decision to retake the Falklands was probably not Thatchers.

Pigs arse it wasn’t.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklan...itish_response

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

Nope, it,s a fact. That was Raygun and Maggie, don,t forget.

No. They would have left us in the ****. Raygun liked mad military
dictatorships in South America.

And TBH the decision to retake the Falklands was probably not
Thatchers.

So whose was it then?

The Army. OK, so she made the decision to retake, but they had the final say
IYKWIM.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:35:09 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Nope, it,s a fact. That was Raygun and Maggie, don,t forget.

No. They would have left us in the ****. Raygun liked mad military
dictatorships in South America.

And TBH the decision to retake the Falklands was probably not
Thatchers.

So whose was it then?

The Army. OK, so she made the decision to retake, but they had the final say
IYKWIM.

Well only in the sense that they had to agree whether it was feasible or
not.

Hastings & Jenkins (the Battle for the Falklands, 1983) suggest that
the decision-making process might have been more muddled and that
unauthorised decisions made by the navy might have paved the way for
later actions.

The Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary made the decision to send
nuclear-powered submarines on March 29th. The First Sea Lord and Chief
of the Navy Staff, Admiral Sir Henry Leach started assembling a task
force from the 31st and in the early hours of Friday, April 2nd, as
the Argentine fleet was moving into position off East Falkland, he
issued the directive that the task force was to be made ready and
sailed.

As Hastings and Jenkins say: "It is perhaps no more than a
constitutional curiosity that at this stage such an expedition had
been approved by neither the British cabinet nor the British
Parliament."

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote
Tim Streater wrote
ARWadsworth wrote
Tim Streater wrote
ARWadsworth wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Nope, it,s a fact. That was Raygun and Maggie, don,t forget.

No. They would have left us in the ****. Raygun liked mad military
dictatorships in South America.

And TBH the decision to retake the Falklands was probably not
Thatchers.

So whose was it then?

The Army. OK, so she made the decision to retake, but they had the final
say IYKWIM.

Well only in the sense that they had to agree whether it was feasible or
not.

Hastings & Jenkins (the Battle for the Falklands, 1983) suggest that
the decision-making process might have been more muddled and that
unauthorised decisions made by the navy might have paved the way for
later actions.

ALL that really did was get hardware moving towards the Falklands
quickly in case Thatcher decided to **** over the Argys. The Navy
doesn't get to decide whether to go to war by itself.

The Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary made the
decision to send nuclear-powered submarines on March 29th.

And that again was just moving hardware around so it could be
used if it was decided to use it given the long time it takes to get
that sort of hardware where it could be used to **** over the Argys.

The First Sea Lord and Chief of the Navy Staff, Admiral Sir
Henry Leach started assembling a task force from the 31st

After Maggie had clearly decided to move hardware around so
it could be used there if it was decided that to **** over the Argys.

and in the early hours of Friday, April 2nd, as the Argentine
fleet was moving into position off East Falkland, he issued the
directive that the task force was to be made ready and sailed.

That's just the detail, not the important decision to use it.

As Hastings and Jenkins say: "It is perhaps no more than a
constitutional curiosity that at this stage such an expedition had
been approved by neither the British cabinet nor the British
Parliament."

It didn't have to be approved by either. USE of it to
**** over the Argys did require that permission tho.

So did the separate decision to sink the Belgrano too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_Gen...lgrano#Sinking

OT The 1970s The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 15 April 18th 12 12:00 AM
OT The 1970s [email protected] UK diy 1 April 16th 12 11:43 PM
Looking for old adverts for houses in 1970s MM UK diy 14 April 4th 06 02:42 PM