Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cat deterrents (DIY)

Huge wrote:
On 2012-03-23, Gordon Henderson wrote:

horses...

Suitable for pulling carts and feeding Frenchmen.

Feeding prats and pulling frenchwomen.

Dogfood that runs about.

That's no way to talk about chavettes..

Awful things.

Well yes.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote just the puerile **** thats all it can
ever manage when its got done llike a ****ing dinner, as always.

Golly Roddy. You are in need of some chlorpromazine.

Have a hot horlicks and a little lie down.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
dennis@home wrote

Well I do hope the courts act.
If they are stupid enough to set the precedent then it will have to
apply to cats triggering allergenic reactions in some people which
means all cat owners are keeping dangerous vermin and can be done and I can get them exterminated with a bit of
luck/effort.

It is not the cats' fault if, as a very young child, you were not exposed to enough infections to get your immune
system working properly.

Its much more complicated than that. One of the neighbours kids
was exposed to enough infections as a very young child and is
allegic to cats anyway. His brother who is only a year older isnt.

They have always had cats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote
larkim wrote
Tim Watts wrote
Stephen wrote

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population.
At first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now
cats are sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and
going to the toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a
couple of flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

I have a toddler and I know dog mess contains germs that can cause blindness,

It's actually a tiny worm that eats your retina IIRC and the problem is called toxacariasis (sp??)

Isn't it particularly the toxoplasmosis risk to the foetus of a
pregnant woman that's the largest risk. That was certainly what my wife told me to excuse her from clearing up ****
from the local pest (cat) population.

Simple for me - pets should be banned, the only animals people should be allowed to keep are ones which provide food
or perform an industrial service.

I dont mind as long as fat women and children are also banned.

Neither of which provide food

They did for the Maori.

or an industrial service.

They did for the slavers.

In fact if we banned everybody in the same light, we would be down to a happy healthy tenth of current population
levels,

But senile old farts like you would be long gone, too expensive to keep.

and there would be bags of room for cats.

Beats triffids I spose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote
Roger Mills wrote

There was a product that used to be highly recommended which was a PIR activated water spray. I don't imagine it was
intelligent enough to aim and target the intruder, so I presume it just operated a wide fan spray? Is that right?

Mine has about a 30 degree spray, so is best placed near a wall.

I wonder if these are covered by the imminent hosepipe ban?

Yep, so you would have to get it plumbed in.

Or get a rainwater tank and use that to spray the cats with.

Corse given that the hosepipe ban is because it hasnt
rained enough, you'd have to fill that using a bucket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote just the puerile **** thats all it can
ever manage when its got done llike a ****ing dinner, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 24, 1:34*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote just the puerile **** thats all it can
ever manage when its got done llike a ****ing dinner, as always.

Golly Roddy. You are in need of some chlorpromazine.

Have a hot horlicks and a little lie down.

No, he's got you sussed.
But he's from Oz, a weird place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2012 02:44, Rod Speed wrote:
Nightjar wrote
dennis@home wrote

Well I do hope the courts act.
If they are stupid enough to set the precedent then it will have to
apply to cats triggering allergenic reactions in some people which
means all cat owners are keeping dangerous vermin and can be done and I can get them exterminated with a bit of
luck/effort.

It is not the cats' fault if, as a very young child, you were not exposed to enough infections to get your immune
system working properly.

Its much more complicated than that.

Indeed. A lot depends upon the type of infection and what sort of
reaction it produces. Something that simply triggers antibody production
won't have much effect. Something like tuberculosis, which causes cell
level changes to the immune system, is thought to provide protection
from allergies and asthma, which is why giving the BCG vaccination to
neonates has been suggested as a preventative measure. Unfortunately,
when I last heard, no funding was available for trials.

One of the neighbours kids
was exposed to enough infections as a very young child and is
allegic to cats anyway. His brother who is only a year older isnt.

They have always had cats.

Not that that will help prevent an allergy to them. I don't know whether
constant exposure might help reduce the effects of the allergy though.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
On 23/03/2012 18:54, ARWadsworth wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:31:43 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Don't let them stand on your feet.

(Cows)

And keep to the middle of the room.

Why?

Cows have been known to lean on the wall for a rest.

So that is why I thought it was an apprentice.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2012 19:02, ARWadsworth wrote:
Nightjar wrote:

As with all English law, the Courts will decide how the Act works.

It is not illegal to grow plants that kill cats in your garden.

Thank you for that free legal advice - and to think that last time I
sought legal opinion from someone who was actually qualified to give it,
it took four weeks to arrive and cost me £600.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:13:15 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

Have you tried this?
http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/to...id.2000004185/
[I haven't - but would be interested to know whether it actually works!]

Hello,

Yes, I've seen recommendations for this on the internet but like all
the smelly approaches, the smell evaporates or is washed away by the
rain, so you have to keep applying it, which is expensive in the long
run. That's why I thought the ultrasonic or water approaches might be
better long term.

I only half understand the theory behind silent roar. I realise lions
are predators but surely not of cats? I wouldn't have thought the two
would have ever met in the wild for the one to know what the other
smells like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:59:06 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Is this any help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

Thanks. This may have answered my question about where to find a low
voltage PIR: one from a burglar alarm.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote
Roger Mills wrote

Have you tried this?
http://www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/to...id.2000004185/
[I haven't - but would be interested to know whether it actually works!]

Yes, I've seen recommendations for this on the internet but like all
the smelly approaches, the smell evaporates or is washed away by the
rain, so you have to keep applying it, which is expensive in the long
run. That's why I thought the ultrasonic or water approaches might be
better long term.

I only half understand the theory behind silent roar. I realise lions
are predators but surely not of cats? I wouldn't have thought the two
would have ever met in the wild for the one to know what the other
smells like.

That isnt necessarily how evolution works. Its likely just an accident that it works, if it works.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 04:56:17 -0700 (PDT), larkim
wrote:

On Friday, 23 March 2012 10:23:17 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population. At
first I tried to adopt a live and let live attitude but now cats are
sitting on my car, scratching at the fence panels, and going to the
toilet. Things have got so bad that I have dug up a couple of
flowerbeds and replaced them with gravel.

I have a toddler and I know dog mess contains germs that can cause
blindness,

It's actually a tiny worm that eats your retina IIRC and the problem is
called toxacariasis (sp??)

Isn't it particularly the toxoplasmosis risk to the foetus of a pregnant
woman that's the largest risk. That was certainly what my wife told me
to excuse her from clearing up **** from the local pest (cat) population.

This is true.

Simple for me - pets should be banned, the only animals people should be
allowed to keep are ones which provide food or perform an industrial service.

IMHO the special (legal) status of cats should be changed. They
should either be counted as normal pets and the owner made to be
responsible for their actions or they should be counted as full wild
animals and we should be allowed to treat them as vermin.

To answer the OP. Almost nothing works. You can't educate all the
cats in the neighourhood with chemical deterrents. These may deter
some cats for a short time, nothing more.

The same with ultrasonic deterrents.

I can cats off temporarily by squirting them with a high powered water
pistol but they come back quickly after I have gone.

I haven't tried a dog because I don't want one.

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Friday, 23 March 2012 10:23:17 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hello,

[...]

IME, they become scared of the person, not the place. The local feral
tom still comes into our garden, until he sees me, despite repeated
handfulls of gravel/soil chucked at him.

The only thing that one of the damn moggies is scared of is the water
pistol itself. If I run at it, shouting then it doesn't move until I
am almost touching it. OTOH if I pick up the water pistol it scarpers
quickly, although I normally manage to soak it before it escapes
completely.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Friday, 23 March 2012 10:23:17 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hello,

[...]

The cat man's daughter suggested lime juice in my flower beds. It did not
work
I know what to do. I don't want to do it.
Cat man's daughter has very big boobs. Just thought I would mention that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
wrote:

On Friday, 23 March 2012 10:23:17 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Stephen wrote:

Hello,

There seems to have been an increase in the local cat population.

Get Adam's neighbour in

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:47:15 +0100, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

Cat man's daughter has very big boobs

Get Adam in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:57:10 -0000, a certain chimpanzee,
"Cash" , randomly hit the

On 2012-03-22, Cash wrote:

Chicken manure - that does the trick in stopping the cats from from
messing up the garden, and it's also a bloody good fertiliser. No
good for car and fence problems though.

Yes, most people try to keep bird manure away from their cars.

Now if someone could find a way of doing that

Get a cat, or encourage cats into your garden.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-03-22, Cash wrote:

Chicken manure - that does the trick in stopping the cats from from
messing up the garden, and it's also a bloody good fertiliser. No
good for car and fence problems though.

Yes, most people try to keep bird manure away from their cars.

Now if someone could find a way of doing that

Get a cat, or encourage cats into your garden.

Already got a cat "in the garden", and the chicken s**t is the only thing
that stops the old cat and her mates doin' their business there - as for
stopping the birds messing on my car, the old cat has yet to deveolp a set
of wings to catch the perishers in mid-flight before they 'bomb' the car.

Now, when the birds are on the ground, she has a very good record of
knocking them off - and then leaving their innards on the back door step as
a 'present' for us to find with the soles of our shoes (drives SWMBO crazy).
I know, I'm never satisfied. ;-)

Cash

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote
Cash wrote
Adam Funk wrote
Cash wrote

Chicken manure - that does the trick in stopping the cats
from from messing up the garden, and it's also a bloody
good fertiliser. No good for car and fence problems though.

Yes, most people try to keep bird manure away from their cars.

Now if someone could find a way of doing that

Get a cat, or encourage cats into your garden.

Doesn't work for me. A couple of the neighbors cats love my jungle
but the birds love it even more and **** on the car almost every day.

The cats do catch an occasional bird and you can see that from the
big pile of feathers they leave, but that doesn't appear to faze the
birds any.

Seagull deterrents Jim S UK diy 14 September 4th 10 02:46 PM
Mouse deterrents TheOldFellow UK diy 29 September 18th 09 12:48 PM
What are the most effective deterrents to home burglars? Ablang Home Ownership 0 December 20th 08 08:40 PM
Cat Deterrents Donwill UK diy 27 February 18th 07 03:27 PM
Mouse deterrents? FurPaw Home Repair 8 October 8th 04 01:06 AM