Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bosch washing machine programs take a long time

I've got a Bosch WFG2020 washing machine. If I use the wash programs down
the right had side of the timer the programs take ages to complete,
sometimes up to 4-5 hours, but if I use the programs on the left they're all
fine and complete in a correct time-frame. Any ideas on what the problem
could be? I know what you're thinking, why not just use the programs on the
left? I would but I live with my mum who won't stop moaning about it, and
now I've been given an ultimatum. Thanks for any advice...about the machine
that is...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tg wrote:

I've got a Bosch WFG2020 washing machine. If I use the wash programs
down the right had side of the timer the programs take ages to
complete, sometimes up to 4-5 hours, but if I use the programs on the
left they're all fine and complete in a correct time-frame. Any ideas
on what the problem could be? I know what you're thinking, why not
just use the programs on the left? I would but I live with my mum who
won't stop moaning about it, and now I've been given an ultimatum.
Thanks for any advice...about the machine that is...

The ones on the right are for cottons/linens and the ones
on the left are for easycare etc, so presumably whatever
determines the timing etc for those is likely whats failed.

Still hard to see why that should just take a lot longer
than normal as opposed to not working at all tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 5:46*am, "tg" wrote:
I've got a Bosch WFG2020 washing machine. If I use the wash programs down
the right had side of the timer the programs take ages to complete,
sometimes up to 4-5 hours, but if I use the programs on the left they're all
fine and complete in a correct time-frame. Any ideas on what the problem
could be? I know what you're thinking, why not just use the programs on the
left? I would but I live with my mum who won't stop moaning about it, and
now I've been given an ultimatum. Thanks for any advice...about the machine
that is...

First thing to check is, is the machine filling with water at a
reasonable rate?
If not how is the water pressure and if OK check the filter. You
disconnect the hose from the machine, filter is inside the threaded
bit on the machine.

If not fill problem,you have to determine which part of the cycle is
taking so long.
Eg,could be a problem with the waste pipe being blocked (takes a long
time to empty.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Mar 4, 5:46 am, "tg" wrote:
[...]

If not, do they use flash ROM to hold the program on these things? If
so, then it could conceivably get corrupted. Or there may be a bad joint
on one of the data/ clock/ addressing pins on the microprocessor.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for the responses.
The machine fills fine, empties fine and heats the water fine. What I have
noticed though is after the machine heats the water to the right
temperature, the heater goes off (which is correct) but then the machine is
still washing the clothes in the same hot water an hour later. I tested this
using a 90 degree wash on the right hand side of the timer. The heater
doesn't come back on once it goes off but the washing cycle just carries on.
It's still washing the clothers in the same hot water as I write. So my
question(s) is:
1) do you think it's the controller?
2) should the heater go on and off a few times or just the once?
thanks for any further pointers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2012 13:45, tg wrote:
thanks for the responses.
The machine fills fine, empties fine and heats the water fine. What I have
noticed though is after the machine heats the water to the right
temperature, the heater goes off (which is correct) but then the machine is
still washing the clothes in the same hot water an hour later. I tested
this
using a 90 degree wash on the right hand side of the timer. The heater
doesn't come back on once it goes off but the washing cycle just carries
on.
It's still washing the clothers in the same hot water as I write. So my
question(s) is:
1) do you think it's the controller?
2) should the heater go on and off a few times or just the once?
thanks for any further pointers.

Is it actually reaching the target temperature? Often on hot washes the
program waits in a holding state until the temperature is reached. It
could indicate a failing heater or temperature sensor...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 4:07*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/03/2012 13:45, tg wrote:

[...]

If the temp sensor fails, either the water will boil, or it'll wash
for the usual time or less, and below temp.

If the heater were failing, the water would heat up faster, or not at
all.

My money's on the controller.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

My money's on the controller.

The water temperature appears to be correct for the heat setting. I took the
controller board out and noticed overheating on it, marked by lines of soot
along the conductor print. It looks as though the coil device on the other
side is the cause of the heat. I suppose I'll just have to take the gamble
on the price of a replacement board. I can't think what else it could be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tg wrote:

thanks for the responses.
The machine fills fine, empties fine and heats the water fine. What I
have noticed though is after the machine heats the water to the right
temperature, the heater goes off (which is correct) but then the
machine is still washing the clothes in the same hot water an hour
later. I tested this using a 90 degree wash on the right hand side of
the timer. The heater doesn't come back on once it goes off but the
washing cycle just carries on. It's still washing the clothers in the
same hot water as I write. So my question(s) is:
1) do you think it's the controller?

Likely, cant see why the timing should be miles out just with the ones on the right.

2) should the heater go on and off a few times or just the once?

Dunno, I dont have a front loader and dont heat the water anyway, I only ever cold wash.

I wouldnt expect that it would bother to heat more than once, but dont know that.

thanks for any further pointers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2012 19:23, NT wrote:
On Mar 4, 4:07 pm, John wrote:
On 04/03/2012 13:45, tg wrote:

[...]

Note if the heater has an over temp cutout...

If the heater were failing, the water would heat up faster, or not at
all.

My money's on the controller.

Yup, they do get stuck sometimes... tis what killed our last dishwasher
in the end.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2012 19:29, tg wrote:

"NT" wrote in message

My money's on the controller.

The water temperature appears to be correct for the heat setting. I took
the controller board out and noticed overheating on it, marked by lines
of soot along the conductor print. It looks as though the coil device on
the other side is the cause of the heat. I suppose I'll just have to
take the gamble on the price of a replacement board. I can't think what
else it could be.

What sort of parts were there on the board? (i.e. would they be
replaceable for less than the cost of a new board, or where there lots
of unidentifiable ICs?)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2012 13:45, tg wrote:

[...]

NT- Hide quoted text -

+1 on controller.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 1:24*am, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/03/2012 19:23, NT wrote:

On Mar 4, 4:07 pm, John *wrote:
On 04/03/2012 13:45, tg wrote:

[...]

I've never seen a WM element with any sort of cutout, but things might
have moved on. Its not a safety issue if it boils though, so I wouldnt
expect to ever see one.

If the heater were failing, the water would heat up faster, or not at
all.

My money's on the controller.

Yup, they do get stuck sometimes... tis what killed our last dishwasher
in the end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/03/2012 19:29, tg wrote:

snip
What sort of parts were there on the board? (i.e. would they be
replaceable for less than the cost of a new board, or where there lots of
unidentifiable ICs?)

it was the coiled device next to the heatsink. I think they call them
inductors but I haven't a clue what the rating of it is or where I could get
another. Nothing is printed on it. The boards are £154 (+ vat?) new from
bosch uk so I'll wait for one to come up on ebay. The machine is entirely
useable in the meantime and I've re-assembled it and it's washing now. I'll
have to cope with a moaning mum until then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2012 10:37, tg wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/03/2012 19:29, tg wrote:

snip
What sort of parts were there on the board? (i.e. would they be
replaceable for less than the cost of a new board, or where there lots of
unidentifiable ICs?)

it was the coiled device next to the heatsink. I think they call them
inductors but I haven't a clue what the rating of it is or where I could
get
another.

Depends a bit on the type... to be fair they don't usually fail even if
they have got a bit hot. Replacements can be bought ready made or made
from bits depending on the type. You would need a LCR meter or something
similar to read its value directly - its not the sort of reading most
multimeters can do directly. However it would be quite easy to assess
its value with a suitable AC source and a ammeter (assuming its still
basically working!)

Nothing is printed on it. The boards are £154 (+ vat?) new from
bosch uk so I'll wait for one to come up on ebay. The machine is entirely
useable in the meantime and I've re-assembled it and it's washing now.
I'll have to cope with a moaning mum until then.

;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or some have quick versions and full versions, though it has to be said mine
has a simple toggle on a button for this, so only half as many programmes
on the dial of cours. I feel it is a bit like a caps lock key. It bleeps
high if its long and low if its short.
I think the manual will have the key to this. It seems silly to have two
identical systems, when one would do otherwise.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 28/03/2019 18:00,
wrote:
Den söndag 4 mars 2012 kl. 06:46:48 UTC+1 skrev tg:
I've got a Bosch WFG2020 washing machine. If I use the wash programs
down
the right had side of the timer the programs take ages to complete,
sometimes up to 4-5 hours, but if I use the programs on the left they're
all
fine and complete in a correct time-frame. Any ideas on what the problem
could be? I know what you're thinking, why not just use the programs on
the
left? I would but I live with my mum who won't stop moaning about it,
and
now I've been given an ultimatum. Thanks for any advice...about the
machine
that is...

RTFM. It might be meant to be like that, for people who set it in the
morning then go to work.

Bill