Open Fire Back Boiler

Old February 3rd 12, 12:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Open Fire Back Boiler

Hi
Recently I added a couple of radiators to a small system. I
now have a total of four [Around 6kW].

The boiler is at the back of an open fire and I have been informed
that it should be a larger unit with the sides extending to the front
of the fire.

In another part of the house there is one matching this description, I
remember it going in, it was a Dunsley.

I want to upgrade the "water heating" rated backboiler for a "wrap
around" similar to the Dunsley but everything on the web seems to be
designed to be used with dedicated solid fuel burning systems.

Has anyone any ideas where to source something similar to the old
Dunsley, and what would be involved in replacing the existing boiler
with a higher output unit?

Regards

HN
Old February 3rd 12, 07:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

H. Neary wrote:
Hi
Recently I added a couple of radiators to a small system. I
now have a total of four [Around 6kW].

The boiler is at the back of an open fire and I have been informed
that it should be a larger unit with the sides extending to the front
of the fire.

In another part of the house there is one matching this description, I
remember it going in, it was a Dunsley.

I want to upgrade the "water heating" rated backboiler for a "wrap
around" similar to the Dunsley but everything on the web seems to be
designed to be used with dedicated solid fuel burning systems.

Has anyone any ideas where to source something similar to the old
Dunsley, and what would be involved in replacing the existing boiler
with a higher output unit?

Regards

HN

Not sure what you mean by "dedicated solid fuel burning systems" but you
can still buy a Dunsley fire with back boiler.
http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/baxi.htm

Tim
Old February 3rd 12, 08:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:56:44 +0000, Tim wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "dedicated solid fuel burning systems" but you
can still buy a Dunsley fire with back boiler.

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/baxi.htm

Figues for how much heat goes to water and radiated into the room,
none for how much is going up the chimney...

Stoves with boilers are far more effcient at heating the room and
water than an open fire. I think the OP ought to at least look at
fitting a stove, though finding one with a suitable balalnce of heat
to room and heat to water might be tricky. Our Stovax Stockon 11 is
rated at 7kW to water and 3 to room but it's quite large.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old February 3rd 12, 07:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:20:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Stovax Stockon

Thanks for the replies. I could not see anything that related to what
I have already though.

The back boilers were bought in, no fire was supplied, only the
boilers and the fireplace/ fittings were built around the boilers.

The Dunsley was a cast iron device that the grate pushed up against.
It formed the fire back and continued up for around 750mm.

The boiler sides came forward so that the fire was surrounded on three
sides by the boiler.

I have tried to find a similar device but all the Dunsley site depicts
is complete fires. No boiler details or diagrams.

Regards

Hugh
Old February 3rd 12, 07:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://guide.hetas.co.uk/guide_appliances.html

Click on link for open fires with high-output back-boilers. It lists
all UK-approved solid fuel appliances.

Old February 3rd 12, 10:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Stovax Stockon

Thanks for the replies. I could not see anything that related to what
I have already though.

The back boilers were bought in, no fire was supplied, only the
boilers and the fireplace/ fittings were built around the boilers.

The Dunsley was a cast iron device that the grate pushed up against.
It formed the fire back and continued up for around 750mm.

The boiler sides came forward so that the fire was surrounded on three
sides by the boiler.

I have tried to find a similar device but all the Dunsley site depicts
is complete fires. No boiler details or diagrams.

Surely by the time you've rebuilt the whole fireplace to fit a back boiler
you're not going to quibble about fitting a new fireplace? Fitting a
manufacturer's own fire at least gives you some comeback if you have any
problems with lack of performance in the future.

Tim

Old February 4th 12, 01:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The fireplace in question is very impressive. It was built using a
range of materials that blend together perfectly.

I would want to keep this. Although the units on offer now do look
very nice, the open fire that was put together by the local builders
could not be improved upon in terms of looks. I would willingly lose a
bit of efficiency in order to keep it.

There is already a back boiler, so I am hopeful that a replacement
could be fitted without having to do much more than the temporary
removal of a few bricks on the fireplace.

I really do not know much about the work involved. My only work on a
fireplace was the removal of one in order to fit a gas fire around
thirty years back.

I think If I could locate a boiler similar to the Dunsley that is
fitted to the other room, I could see if the job looked feasible.
First though I need boiler dimensions, and of course a supplier.

HN

HN

Old February 4th 12, 10:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/12 01:28, H. Neary wrote:

I think If I could locate a boiler similar to the Dunsley that is
fitted to the other room, I could see if the job looked feasible.
First though I need boiler dimensions, and of course a supplier.

I came across this whilst looking for an ash pan for my Baxi:-

http://www.ashpanworld.co.uk/baxi-boilers-28-c.asp

Cheers,

Colin.

Old February 4th 12, 12:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 10:24:05 +0000, Colin Stamp
wrote:

On 04/02/12 01:28, H. Neary wrote:

I think If I could locate a boiler similar to the Dunsley that is
fitted to the other room, I could see if the job looked feasible.
First though I need boiler dimensions, and of course a supplier.

I came across this whilst looking for an ash pan for my Baxi:-

http://www.ashpanworld.co.uk/baxi-boilers-28-c.asp

Cheers,

Colin.

Thanks Colin.

Not quite the same as the original, but I'll attempt to get a full
diagram of the dimensions and feed arrangements. It may do the trick.

Many thanks

HN

New World fire / back boiler - Where's the pump? John Rumm UK diy 2 November 6th 08 08:52 PM
Gas Fire - open coals ( John UK diy 6 July 3rd 08 04:24 PM
Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler and Fire Front Replacement Steve[_20_] UK diy 6 April 10th 08 02:41 PM
stove or open fire? [email protected] UK diy 13 December 28th 06 07:54 PM
Replacement of Back Boiler with ILFE Gas Fire from B&Q [email protected] UK diy 1 May 25th 06 11:41 PM