DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Open Fire Back Boiler (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/335211-open-fire-back-boiler.html)

H. Neary February 3rd 12 12:08 AM

Open Fire Back Boiler

Hi
Recently I added a couple of radiators to a small system. I
now have a total of four [Around 6kW].

The boiler is at the back of an open fire and I have been informed
that it should be a larger unit with the sides extending to the front
of the fire.

In another part of the house there is one matching this description, I
remember it going in, it was a Dunsley.

I want to upgrade the "water heating" rated backboiler for a "wrap
around" similar to the Dunsley but everything on the web seems to be
designed to be used with dedicated solid fuel burning systems.

Has anyone any ideas where to source something similar to the old
Dunsley, and what would be involved in replacing the existing boiler
with a higher output unit?

Regards

HN

Tim[_28_] February 3rd 12 07:56 AM

Open Fire Back Boiler

H. Neary wrote:
Hi
Recently I added a couple of radiators to a small system. I
now have a total of four [Around 6kW].

The boiler is at the back of an open fire and I have been informed
that it should be a larger unit with the sides extending to the front
of the fire.

In another part of the house there is one matching this description, I
remember it going in, it was a Dunsley.

I want to upgrade the "water heating" rated backboiler for a "wrap
around" similar to the Dunsley but everything on the web seems to be
designed to be used with dedicated solid fuel burning systems.

Has anyone any ideas where to source something similar to the old
Dunsley, and what would be involved in replacing the existing boiler
with a higher output unit?

Regards

HN

Not sure what you mean by "dedicated solid fuel burning systems" but you
can still buy a Dunsley fire with back boiler.
http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/baxi.htm

Tim

Dave Liquorice[_3_] February 3rd 12 08:20 AM

Open Fire Back Boiler

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:56:44 +0000, Tim wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "dedicated solid fuel burning systems" but you
can still buy a Dunsley fire with back boiler.

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/baxi.htm

Figues for how much heat goes to water and radiated into the room,
none for how much is going up the chimney...

Stoves with boilers are far more effcient at heating the room and
water than an open fire. I think the OP ought to at least look at
fitting a stove, though finding one with a suitable balalnce of heat
to room and heat to water might be tricky. Our Stovax Stockon 11 is
rated at 7kW to water and 3 to room but it's quite large.

--
Cheers
Dave.

H. Neary February 3rd 12 07:30 PM

Open Fire Back Boiler

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 08:20:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Stovax Stockon

Thanks for the replies. I could not see anything that related to what
I have already though.

The back boilers were bought in, no fire was supplied, only the
boilers and the fireplace/ fittings were built around the boilers.

The Dunsley was a cast iron device that the grate pushed up against.
It formed the fire back and continued up for around 750mm.

The boiler sides came forward so that the fire was surrounded on three
sides by the boiler.

I have tried to find a similar device but all the Dunsley site depicts
is complete fires. No boiler details or diagrams.

Regards

Hugh

Onetap February 3rd 12 07:39 PM

Open Fire Back Boiler

http://guide.hetas.co.uk/guide_appliances.html

Click on link for open fires with high-output back-boilers. It lists
all UK-approved solid fuel appliances.

Tim Downie[_3_] February 3rd 12 10:20 PM

Open Fire Back Boiler

wrote:

Stovax Stockon

Thanks for the replies. I could not see anything that related to what
I have already though.

The back boilers were bought in, no fire was supplied, only the
boilers and the fireplace/ fittings were built around the boilers.

The Dunsley was a cast iron device that the grate pushed up against.
It formed the fire back and continued up for around 750mm.

The boiler sides came forward so that the fire was surrounded on three
sides by the boiler.

I have tried to find a similar device but all the Dunsley site depicts
is complete fires. No boiler details or diagrams.

Surely by the time you've rebuilt the whole fireplace to fit a back boiler
you're not going to quibble about fitting a new fireplace? Fitting a
manufacturer's own fire at least gives you some comeback if you have any
problems with lack of performance in the future.

Tim

H. Neary February 4th 12 01:28 AM

Open Fire Back Boiler

wrote:

[...]

The fireplace in question is very impressive. It was built using a
range of materials that blend together perfectly.

I would want to keep this. Although the units on offer now do look
very nice, the open fire that was put together by the local builders
could not be improved upon in terms of looks. I would willingly lose a
bit of efficiency in order to keep it.

There is already a back boiler, so I am hopeful that a replacement
could be fitted without having to do much more than the temporary
removal of a few bricks on the fireplace.

I really do not know much about the work involved. My only work on a
fireplace was the removal of one in order to fit a gas fire around
thirty years back.

I think If I could locate a boiler similar to the Dunsley that is
fitted to the other room, I could see if the job looked feasible.
First though I need boiler dimensions, and of course a supplier.

HN

HN

Colin Stamp February 4th 12 10:24 AM

Open Fire Back Boiler

On 04/02/12 01:28, H. Neary wrote:

I think If I could locate a boiler similar to the Dunsley that is
fitted to the other room, I could see if the job looked feasible.
First though I need boiler dimensions, and of course a supplier.

I came across this whilst looking for an ash pan for my Baxi:-

http://www.ashpanworld.co.uk/baxi-boilers-28-c.asp

Cheers,

Colin.

H. Neary February 4th 12 12:31 PM

Open Fire Back Boiler

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 10:24:05 +0000, Colin Stamp
wrote:

On 04/02/12 01:28, H. Neary wrote:

I think If I could locate a boiler similar to the Dunsley that is
fitted to the other room, I could see if the job looked feasible.
First though I need boiler dimensions, and of course a supplier.

I came across this whilst looking for an ash pan for my Baxi:-

http://www.ashpanworld.co.uk/baxi-boilers-28-c.asp

Cheers,

Colin.

Thanks Colin.

Not quite the same as the original, but I'll attempt to get a full
diagram of the dimensions and feed arrangements. It may do the trick.

Many thanks

HN