Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Landlord Certificates ?

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Jim G

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Gas safety
Energy performance
Deposit protection

Theo
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2012 22:24, the_constructor wrote:
What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

gas safety, is the primary one I am aware of...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:24:22 -0000
"the_constructor" wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Jim G

I suggest joining the National Landlords Association. They can provide
you with enough information to make you reconsider property letting.

--
Davey.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2012 22:50, Theo Markettos wrote:
wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Gas safety
Energy performance
Deposit protection

....is the correct answer
Obviously (1) and (3) are only applicable if the property actually has
gas, and a deposit was taken

David

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Jim G

I suggest joining the National Landlords Association. They can provide
you with enough information to make you reconsider property letting.

--
Davey.

I use a letting agent and he sees to all that sort of thing, the cost is
well worth the lack of hassle. A friend rented his house to someone and had
no end of trouble, the tenant even tried to get him to co-operate in some
kind of benefits fraud.

Phian

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

*wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Gas safety
Energy performance
Deposit protection

...is the correct answer
Obviously (1) and (3) are only applicable if the property actually has
gas, and a deposit was taken

David

I think you need an electrical one renewed every ten years. the gas
has to be renewed annually.

Jonathan
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Gas safety
Energy performance
Deposit protection

...is the correct answer

I think you need an electrical one renewed every ten years.....

No you don't.
There isnt any legislation that says there should be electrical
certification.
The only thing an electrical installation must be is 'safe' There is no
definition of 'safe'.

Alan.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jan 2012 22:50:13 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos wrote:

the_constructor wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Gas safety
Energy performance
Deposit protection

Theo

Some aren't compulsory but might be worth getting.
Some friends who rent out 2 houses had all of the carpets and soft
furnishings professionally cleaned and obtained proof of that after a
landlord friend of theirs was sued by an athsmatic tenant - CYA!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2012 22:24 the_constructor wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

If you're new to letting,
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/succes...andlording.htm may be useful.
The forum there will get you answers to most 'landlording' questions.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Jim G

I suggest joining the National Landlords Association. They can
provide you with enough information to make you reconsider property
letting.

--
Davey.

I use a letting agent and he sees to all that sort of thing, the cost
is well worth the lack of hassle. A friend rented his house to
someone and had no end of trouble, the tenant even tried to get him
to co-operate in some kind of benefits fraud.

Phian

A viable alternative, for sure. We had a large local well-known company
act for us as letting agent, and it didn't work out. But there is no
'one size fits all'.
--
Davey.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Gas safety
Energy performance
Deposit protection

...is the correct answer
Obviously (1) and (3) are only applicable if the property actually has
gas, and a deposit was taken

David

I think you need an electrical one renewed every ten years. the gas
has to be renewed annually.

While there is a requirement that the electrical installation be "safe"
there is no actual legislation requiring testing or certification that I
am aware of.

Obviously one could argue that a PIR or similar would be one way of
demonstrating that the system was ok on a given date, but its not
mandatory a landlord have one done.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Gas safety
Energy performance
Deposit protection

Some aren't compulsory but might be worth getting.
Some friends who rent out 2 houses had all of the carpets and soft
furnishings professionally cleaned and obtained proof of that after a
landlord friend of theirs was sued by an athsmatic tenant - CYA!

Good grief - do you know what the outcome of that was? Did it go to court?

David

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

.uk wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

I suggest joining the National Landlords Association. They can provide
you with enough information to make you reconsider property letting.

I use a letting agent and he sees to all that sort of thing, the cost is
well worth the lack of hassle. A friend rented his house to someone and had
no end of trouble, the tenant even tried to get him to co-operate in some
kind of benefits fraud.

Well YMMV but personally I think agents are hugely expensive for what
they do; plus, as the whole area is unregulated your chances of finding
a bad one are extremely high. By far the single biggest feature of
successful landlording is in selection and vetting of decent tenants,
which I do personally, and I really get very little hassle from my
tenants (he says, having just been called out to look at a boiler - see
other thread! - but that's the first time in ages).

The other occasion when I'd go with using an agent would be when you
live a long way from the let property.

And truth be told, for a first-time landlord it's probably worth using a
*good* agent (and ARLA affiliated) as there's a fair amount to take on
board at the outset.

David
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Gas safety
Energy performance
Deposit protection

...is the correct answer
Obviously (1) and (3) are only applicable if the property actually
has gas, and a deposit was taken

David

I think you need an electrical one renewed every ten years. the gas
has to be renewed annually.

While there is a requirement that the electrical installation be
"safe" there is no actual legislation requiring testing or
certification that I am aware of.

Obviously one could argue that a PIR or similar would be one way of
demonstrating that the system was ok on a given date, but its not
mandatory a landlord have one done.

I would be financially delighted if it was a requirement:-)

--
Adam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

.uk *wrote:

[...]

I'd say if you're new, don't use an agent. Agents don't generally look
after your basic interests, and do routinely rip landlords off. DIYing
it will be a steep learning curve, but at least you'll learn.

NT
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

.uk wrote:

[...]

What kind of prices do these agents charge and what do you get for your
money?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

Gas safety
Energy performance
Deposit protection

Some aren't compulsory but might be worth getting.
Some friends who rent out 2 houses had all of the carpets and soft
furnishings professionally cleaned and obtained proof of that after a
landlord friend of theirs was sued by an athsmatic tenant - CYA!

Good grief - do you know what the outcome of that was? Did it go to court?

David

Sorry, I can't remember - it was about 10 - 12 years ago.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

.uk wrote:

[...]

Well broadly you can split their offering into "Letting only" (where
they will advertise for and find a tenant, then prepare all the
paperwork; but from then on the landlord's on his own); and "Letting and
Management", where, once the property is let the agent remains the point
of contact for the tenant and deals with any issues arising, subject to
an agreed cost above which the agent seeks approval.

I'm not very up on costs but typically I'd guess "Letting only" would
probably lose you your first months' rent, and "letting plus management"
you'd get an initial startup fee of a couple of hundred, and then an
ongoing commission of 10% of the rent + VAT?

They also charge the tenants substantial admin fees which I find
particularly nefarious; also they clobber you (and the tenant) for
renewal fees every 6 or 12 months, but don't tell you that it's actually
completely unneccessary to do so, as the original Assured Shorthold
Tenancy contract remains in force indefinitely. What else... oh, unless
they are members of an umbrella organisation like ARLA (they don't need
to be, and the vast majority aren't) then if they are holding the
tenant's deposit and/or rent money of yours which they've collected and
haven't forwarded) and then go bust or AWOL, then you (and not the
tenant) lose it. I'm not an agent fan, you'll gather!

David

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:17:37 -0800 (PST), NT
wrote:

The other occasion when I'd go with using an agent would be when you
live a long way from the let property.

And truth be told, for a first-time landlord it's probably worth using a
*good* agent (and ARLA affiliated) as there's a fair amount to take on
board at the outset.

David

I'd say if you're new, don't use an agent. Agents don't generally look
after your basic interests, and do routinely rip landlords off. DIYing
it will be a steep learning curve, but at least you'll learn.

And tenants! Charging for renewing a tenancy when it need not be
renewed - frequent question over on MSE forums about tenants being
harrassed into paying sometimes as much as £100.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

.uk *wrote:

[...]

Another way a lot make income is by overcharging on repairs, and
playing 'we knocked but you didnt answer, thats another £50' games.

NT
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/01/2012 22:24 the_constructor wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

If you're new to letting,
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/succes...andlording.htm may be useful.
The forum there will get you answers to most 'landlording' questions.

After a bit of Googling, it seems that a lot of landlords are starting to
use on-line only agents whose fees are much lower than the big high street
companies.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2012 13:10 Wesley wrote:

"F"news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/01/2012 22:24 the_constructor wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

If you're new to letting,
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/succes...andlording.htm may be useful.
The forum there will get you answers to most 'landlording' questions.

After a bit of Googling, it seems that a lot of landlords are starting to
use on-line only agents whose fees are much lower than the big high street
companies.

I only use an agent to find and check-out a tenant. Though even that
isn't guaranteed to provide an acceptable outcome!

Paying an agent to manage is, in my view, a waste of money and removes
you from (the minimal) contact with the tenant that can be 'useful'.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2012 13:54, F wrote:
On 22/01/2012 13:10 Wesley wrote:

"F"news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/01/2012 22:24 the_constructor wrote:

What certificates must a landlord provide a tenant with please. ?

If you're new to letting,
http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/succes...andlording.htm may be useful.
The forum there will get you answers to most 'landlording' questions.

After a bit of Googling, it seems that a lot of landlords are starting to
use on-line only agents whose fees are much lower than the big high
street
companies.

Is that not just for "tenant-find" services though? You really need to
have someone 'on the ground' to liaise with tenants.

I only use an agent to find and check-out a tenant. Though even that
isn't guaranteed to provide an acceptable outcome!

No, indeed: horror stories abound of agents who haven't properly checked
references and credit checks, and then have the nerve to bleat about the
Data Protection Act when the landlord quite rightly demands to see the
original paperwork relating to a subsequently defaulting tenant. Me -
I'd much rather DIY; eg I can take whatever steps I deem necessary to
verify that the employer /landlord sdetails provided by the applicant
are genuine: you can bet your socks that most agents won't bother with that.

David

Man tried to hit his landlord with his van Oren[_2_] Home Repair 24 July 27th 10 12:27 AM
Landlord&Tenant George UK diy 5 November 13th 07 05:36 PM
Completion Certificates Andrew Mawson UK diy 2 April 12th 06 08:44 PM