How much space does a shower need?

Old January 6th 12, 10:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much space does a shower need?

It's a rather basic question but I can't find straightforward answers
anywhere.

We're [re]designing an area in our house and want to install a new
shower (among other things). In order to plan the layout we need to
know how much space a shower needs. It might be a dedicated shower
room or, if it fits, we might squeeze it into the existing downstairs
loo.

So any advice, pointers, etc. as to minimum and/or sensible sizes for
a shower would be very welcome.

--
Chris Green
Old January 6th 12, 11:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 10:46 am, wrote:
It's a rather basic question but I can't find straightforward answers
anywhere.

We're [re]designing an area in our house and want to install a new
shower (among other things). In order to plan the layout we need to
know how much space a shower needs. It might be a dedicated shower
room or, if it fits, we might squeeze it into the existing downstairs
loo.

So any advice, pointers, etc. as to minimum and/or sensible sizes for
a shower would be very welcome.

--
Chris Green

industry standard (look at shower tray sizes) vs personal taste (how
small dare you go)?

Jim K
Old January 6th 12, 12:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
It's a rather basic question but I can't find straightforward answers
anywhere.

We're [re]designing an area in our house and want to install a new
shower (among other things). In order to plan the layout we need to
know how much space a shower needs. It might be a dedicated shower
room or, if it fits, we might squeeze it into the existing downstairs
loo.

So any advice, pointers, etc. as to minimum and/or sensible sizes for
a shower would be very welcome.

Our current shower tray is 750mm * 750mm.
Elbow room is a little less as the shower screen is inboard of the edge.
I wouldn't like to go any smaller than that unless the whole family is built
on budget lines.
I am 6 foot tall and can manage in this, but I haven't tried to bend over in
the shower (not that I could anyway).
AFAIK this is a standard small shower cubicle.
If you want to go for a full wet room then you have more flexibility as long
as you can cover up the loo (And especially the toilet paper) when you are
showering.
For a small shower there are benefits in having the shower head over the
middle of the area pointing down instead of taking up wall space.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old January 6th 12, 12:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:23:01 -0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

I am 6 foot tall and can manage in this, but I haven't tried to bend
over in the shower (not that I could anyway).

I guess you squat to pick up the dropped soap or WHY. Washing lower
legs is tricky without bending and or lifting it up.

For a small shower there are benefits in having the shower head over the
middle of the area pointing down instead of taking up wall space.

Except then you can't get away from it to lather up or if it suddenly
gets hot/cold. I find most shower on/off controls difficult to use
with hands covered in lather.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old January 6th 12, 01:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 12:23:01 -0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

I am 6 foot tall and can manage in this, but I haven't tried to bend
over in the shower (not that I could anyway).

I guess you squat to pick up the dropped soap or WHY. Washing lower
legs is tricky without bending and or lifting it up.

For a small shower there are benefits in having the shower head over the
middle of the area pointing down instead of taking up wall space.

Except then you can't get away from it to lather up or if it suddenly
gets hot/cold. I find most shower on/off controls difficult to use
with hands covered in lather.

Thermostatic shower control?
Although that wouldn't sort the cold watrer only problem.

Old January 6th 12, 03:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 13:54:57 -0000, David WE Roberts wrote:

Except then you can't get away from it to lather up or if it

suddenly
gets hot/cold. I find most shower on/off controls difficult to use
with hands covered in lather.

Thermostatic shower control?
Although that wouldn't sort the cold watrer only problem.

Thermostatic have a lag though some are quite quick but the main
problem with not being able to get out of the shower water is that
you can't lather up well without the soap/detergent getting washed
away. Most controls are too fiddly to use with wet soapy hands.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old January 6th 12, 03:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 15:37:49 +0000, Graham. wrote:

I wish someone would do something similar when designing public
lavatory cubicals.
All too often there is barely enough space to squeeze past he inward
opening door and the pan, and I am not in the least overweight, quite
the reverse. There is often ample space for bigger cubicles.

The worst is in a local Starbucks coffee shop. The lavatory is tiny,
and it's almost impossible to avoid setting off the hand drier as you
stand there for a pee. You can just about shuffle round on the spot to
wash your hands.
It's a little bit easier to use the disabled one, or use a public loo
nearby where there's loads of room.

--
Frank Erskine