Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toolstation taken over

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...of+Toolstation

I wonder if anything will cchange.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 9:35 am, PeterC wrote:
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...vis+Perkins+ta...

I wonder if anything will cchange.

and how long it will take them to knacker the "success", shag the
goodwill, and sell it on to Klingfisher

another question :- what willl the "new" toolsatan be called?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2012 10:02, Jim K wrote:
On Jan 4, 9:35 am, wrote:
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...vis+Perkins+ta...

I wonder if anything will cchange.

and how long it will take them to knacker the "success", shag the
goodwill, and sell it on to Klingfisher

another question :- what willl the "new" toolsatan be called?

Jim K

Yes, they sold their first version, then when the legal restrictions ran
out started Toolstation, they must be very rich by now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 9:35*am, PeterC wrote:
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...vis+Perkins+ta....

I wonder if anything will cchange.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

Most of the sloppy press coverage of this credits Mark Goddard-Watts
as the founder of Screwfix, although he'd have to have found the
Fountain of Youth to be the same guy whose fizzog used to appear in
Screwfix catalogues.

Interesting article from the Indy in 1999 about pre-takeover
Screwfix's modus operandi:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...n-1080482.html

And good to see the real founder, Goddard-Watts Snr, was still living
the millionaire cocaine-and-hookers lifestyle in 2009:

http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.u...ng_appro val/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
news
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...of+Toolstation

I wonder if anything will cchange.

Yes.. the next one will be called startupforsale.co.uk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Jim K wrote:
On Jan 4, 9:35 am, PeterC wrote:
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...vis+Perkins+ta...

I wonder if anything will cchange.

and how long it will take them to knacker the "success", shag the
goodwill, and sell it on to Klingfisher

Don't Kingfisher already own Screwfix?

another question :- what willl the "new" toolsatan be called?

IIRC, it was the original owners of Screwfix that sold out to Kingfisher
and then set up the rival Toolstation. Wonder if they'll do the same trick
again?

Jim K

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 11:46*am, mike wrote:
On Jan 4, 9:35*am, PeterC wrote:

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...vis+Perkins+ta...

I wonder if anything will cchange.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

Most of the sloppy press coverage of this credits Mark Goddard-Watts
as the founder of Screwfix, although he'd have to have found the
Fountain of Youth to be the same guy whose fizzog used to appear in
Screwfix catalogues.

Interesting article from the Indy in 1999 about pre-takeover
Screwfix's modus operandi:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-to-make-a-mil...

How things changed for Screwfix:

"We're not interested in cutting costs to the point where we see what
we can get away with," he says."

Toolstation in Edinburgh is just an all round more pleasant experinece
than Screwfux .

Cheers
Adam

And good to see the real founder, Goddard-Watts Snr, was still living
the millionaire cocaine-and-hookers lifestyle in 2009:

http://www.thisisthewestcountry.co.u...oddard_Watts_h...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Adam Aglionby wrote:
On Jan 4, 11:46 am, mike wrote:
On Jan 4, 9:35 am, PeterC wrote:

[...]

trouble is all the tools that I've bought from them are not good quality.
OK for a one off job, just, but not for keeping.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 12:49 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
Jim K wrote:

On Jan 4, 9:35 am, PeterC wrote:
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...vis+Perkins+ta...

I wonder if anything will cchange.

and how long it will take them to knacker the "success", shag the
goodwill, and sell it on to Klingfisher

Don't Kingfisher already own Screwfix?

yes

another question :- what willl the "new" toolsatan be called?

IIRC, it was the original owners of Screwfix that sold out to Kingfisher
and then set up the rival Toolstation.

yes

Wonder if they'll do the same trick
again?

and what name do we fancy? Screwstation?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 05:55:16 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby wrote:

How things changed for Screwfix:

"We're not interested in cutting costs to the point where we see what
we can get away with," he says."

Presumably the cost cutting came in when it was sold to Kingfisher
(B&Q)... Screwfix at the start were OK.

I also wondered what will arise from the 40 odd million that
Goddard-Watts now have kicking about.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2012 14:56, Jim K wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:49 pm, "Dave Plowman
wrote:
In article
,
Jim wrote:

On Jan 4, 9:35 am, wrote:
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...vis+Perkins+ta...

I wonder if anything will cchange.
and how long it will take them to knacker the "success", shag the
goodwill, and sell it on to Klingfisher

Don't Kingfisher already own Screwfix?

yes

another question :- what willl the "new" toolsatan be called?

IIRC, it was the original owners of Screwfix that sold out to Kingfisher
and then set up the rival Toolstation.

yes

Wonder if they'll do the same trick
again?

and what name do we fancy? Screwstation?

Toolfix... (could merge with Ann Summers ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

How things changed for Screwfix:

"We're not interested in cutting costs to the point where we see what
we can get away with," he says."

Toolstation in Edinburgh is just an all round more pleasant experinece
than Screwfux .

Screwfix turned into a shower of ******s (and employed ******s) after
the appointment of so-called 'professional' managers. There was an
item they had, that I wanted and was more than willing to pay the
shipping costs to Ireland.
The customer-relations mouthpiece informed me that Parcelforce/RM
didn't deliver to Ireland, and since that's who their contract was
with, it was out of the question.
I informed her she was talking a right crock of **** and that very
week several parcels had come through PF/RM via Irish PO. Since then,
I've ordered thousands of pounds worth of materials from other UK
suppliers - business Screwfux could have had. I wonder how many others
that stupid woman ****ed off. Not that the loss of my business would
have made any difference to them, but plenty of other companies
realised that the doorstep export market was worthwhile.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...of+Toolstation

I wonder if anything will cchange.

I've just come back from our local TS branch.

Apparently Goddard-Watts is still in charge but no longer the owner. So
the board composition is different with more TS involvement.
He said that there had been little interference in day to day running by
TP and he did not anticipate much change it that situation.
The board at TP are very aware of the harm that the new ownership of
Screwfix have caused and don't want to do the same to TS.

Sadly of the 5 items I wanted today, 4 are only sold by SF and I had the
usual wait there but they did have everything in stock this time!

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

PeterC wrote:

http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp...of+Toolstation

I wonder if anything will cchange.

I've just come back from our local TS branch.

Apparently Goddard-Watts is still in charge but no longer the owner. So
the board composition is different with more TS involvement.
He said that there had been little interference in day to day running by
TP and he did not anticipate much change it that situation.
The board at TP are very aware of the harm that the new ownership of
Screwfix have caused and don't want to do the same to TS.

"Management studies history so as not to repeat mistakes". That's got to be
a first, but if it's true then it is quite encouraging

Sadly of the 5 items I wanted today, 4 are only sold by SF and I had the
usual wait there but they did have everything in stock this time!

Bob

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
scribeth thus
wrote:

How things changed for Screwfix:

"We're not interested in cutting costs to the point where we see what
we can get away with," he says."

Toolstation in Edinburgh is just an all round more pleasant experinece
than Screwfux .

Screwfix turned into a shower of ******s (and employed ******s) after
the appointment of so-called 'professional' managers. There was an
item they had, that I wanted and was more than willing to pay the
shipping costs to Ireland.
The customer-relations mouthpiece informed me that Parcelforce/RM
didn't deliver to Ireland, and since that's who their contract was
with, it was out of the question.

I informed her she was talking a right crock of **** and that very
week several parcels had come through PF/RM via Irish PO. Since then,

Knowing Grimely's way of 'tellin it as it is that would have been a
interesting conversation to drop into;!....

I've ordered thousands of pounds worth of materials from other UK
suppliers - business Screwfux could have had. I wonder how many others
that stupid woman ****ed off. Not that the loss of my business would
have made any difference to them, but plenty of other companies
realised that the doorstep export market was worthwhile.

I've never liked the local Cambridge branch, prefer toolstation just
across the road from them..

Or Ridgeons and or Mackays sometimes...

--
Tony Sayer

I won't bother with Toolstation again Clive Page[_2_] UK diy 19 September 22nd 11 06:35 PM
Toolstation Password Dave Liquorice[_3_] UK diy 1 August 24th 11 12:46 AM
Toolstation grouse Lobster UK diy 4 July 1st 11 06:15 PM
Toolstation The Medway Handyman UK diy 6 March 15th 06 10:13 PM
TRV from Toolstation Mike UK diy 2 April 22nd 05 08:33 PM