Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default camera batteries and chargers

I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery doesn't
last long any more. Bought a new battery and that doesn't last any
longer, so it isn't that. If I keep the battery outside the camera, it
doesn't last any longer either, so the camera isn't using power when
it's off. I guess the charger is done for then. Is that likely/normal? TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 19, 11:39*am, stuart noble wrote:
I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery doesn't
last long any more. Bought a new battery and that doesn't last any
longer, so it isn't that. If I keep the battery outside the camera, it
doesn't last any longer either, so the camera isn't using power when
it's off. I guess the charger is done for then. Is that likely/normal? TIA

Did you buy a genuine replacement battery for the camera or a cheapo
chinese one?
In my experience some of the chinese copies are not very good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , stuart noble
writes
I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery doesn't
last long any more. Bought a new battery and that doesn't last any
longer, so it isn't that. If I keep the battery outside the camera, it
doesn't last any longer either, so the camera isn't using power when
it's off. I guess the charger is done for then. Is that likely/normal? TIA

That's a shame, I like that range and internal zoom optics but got the
AA bat version for easy spares and swapping. Sad that Sony bought it
then smothered it

Your logic sounds good, maybe check the output of the charger and see if
it is as spec'd on the body.

I could see it being either the charger or the charge control circuitry
in the camera. If the unit o/p is as spec'd it would point to the cam.

Even if the cam is at fault, I see there are plenty of external chargers
available cheaply eg: (first hit):

http://www.dc-battery.co.uk/product_...oducts_id=2550
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery doesn't
last long any more. Bought a new battery and that doesn't last any
longer, so it isn't that. If I keep the battery outside the camera, it
doesn't last any longer either, so the camera isn't using power when
it's off. I guess the charger is done for then. Is that likely/normal?

I've not come across a charger that still works, but not properly. They
normally work properly or fail totally. But, of course, everything is
possible.

What you need to do it look at the voltage it's delivering while charging
- or better still the current. But it's likely the new battery you've
bought is also faulty.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 12:10, fred wrote:
In article , stuart noble
writes
I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery doesn't
last long any more. Bought a new battery and that doesn't last any
longer, so it isn't that. If I keep the battery outside the camera, it
doesn't last any longer either, so the camera isn't using power when
it's off. I guess the charger is done for then. Is that likely/normal?
TIA

That's a shame, I like that range and internal zoom optics but got the
AA bat version for easy spares and swapping. Sad that Sony bought it
then smothered it

Your logic sounds good, maybe check the output of the charger and see if
it is as spec'd on the body.

I guess that means trudging off to the shops to buy a multimeter? Job
for the new year then

I could see it being either the charger or the charge control circuitry
in the camera. If the unit o/p is as spec'd it would point to the cam.

Even if the cam is at fault, I see there are plenty of external chargers
available cheaply eg: (first hit):

http://www.dc-battery.co.uk/product_...oducts_id=2550

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I guess that means trudging off to the shops to buy a multimeter? Job
for the new year then

No multimeter? You mean you only have an angle grinder?

:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
stuart wrote:
I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery doesn't
last long any more. Bought a new battery and that doesn't last any
longer, so it isn't that. If I keep the battery outside the camera, it
doesn't last any longer either, so the camera isn't using power when
it's off. I guess the charger is done for then. Is that likely/normal?

I've not come across a charger that still works, but not properly. They
normally work properly or fail totally. But, of course, everything is
possible.

What you need to do it look at the voltage it's delivering while charging
- or better still the current. But it's likely the new battery you've
bought is also faulty.

Strange that the two batteries are equally inefficient though. Yes, I
must get myself a meter...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 13:18, Newshound wrote:

I guess that means trudging off to the shops to buy a multimeter? Job
for the new year then

No multimeter? You mean you only have an angle grinder?

:-)

I only have tools in areas where I have a modicum of competence. That
rules out electronics and anything to do with cars :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 03:45:32 -0800 (PST), chudford wrote:

I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery

doesn't
last long any more.

I've a Minolta Dimage XT battery has been essentially useless from
new. Very short life and doesn't appear to hold charge when in the
camera.

Did you buy a genuine replacement battery for the camera or a cheapo
chinese one? In my experience some of the chinese copies are not very
good.

Just boughta cheap (£9.99 delivered from the UK, well channel
islands) chinese copy for my iPaq from eBay. Knocks spots of the old
chinese one that would be lucky to last 30 mins. Time will tell how
long the new one lasts of course but I'm happy ATM. B-) A HP
branded battery is in the order of £30...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 14:19, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 03:45:32 -0800 (PST), chudford wrote:

I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery

doesn't
last long any more.

I've a Minolta Dimage XT battery has been essentially useless from
new. Very short life and doesn't appear to hold charge when in the
camera.

Was it the official one?

Did you buy a genuine replacement battery for the camera or a cheapo
chinese one? In my experience some of the chinese copies are not very
good.

Just boughta cheap (£9.99 delivered from the UK, well channel
islands) chinese copy for my iPaq from eBay. Knocks spots of the old
chinese one that would be lucky to last 30 mins. Time will tell how
long the new one lasts of course but I'm happy ATM. B-) A HP
branded battery is in the order of £30...

It's all pot luck it seems to me

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Just boughta cheap (£9.99 delivered from the UK, well channel
islands) chinese copy for my iPaq from eBay. Knocks spots of the old
chinese one that would be lucky to last 30 mins. Time will tell how
long the new one lasts of course but I'm happy ATM. B-) A HP
branded battery is in the order of £30...

It's all pot luck it seems to me

Could be. I needed a new battery for my Acer laptop - the original only
lasted two years or so, but was left on charge.
Ebay had a bewildering variety from about 15 - 150 quid. So i just picked
one at random, and it seems just fine. Certainly got as good a capacity as
the original. But I'm now keeping it on the shelf when not needed. ;-)

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:17:13 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery
doesn't last long any more.

I've a Minolta Dimage XT battery has been essentially useless from
new. Very short life and doesn't appear to hold charge when in the
camera.

Was it the official one?

I should hope so, it came with the camera. B-) I can see what I
typed can be read two ways.

It's all pot luck it seems to me

At least with eBay you can dig through the feedback and see if the
goods match expectations in general. Personally I don't use the ships
from HK sellers and check reasonably rigoursly any potential seller.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 17:49, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:17:13 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery
doesn't last long any more.

I've a Minolta Dimage XT battery has been essentially useless from
new. Very short life and doesn't appear to hold charge when in the
camera.

Was it the official one?

I should hope so, it came with the camera. B-) I can see what I
typed can be read two ways.

It's all pot luck it seems to me

At least with eBay you can dig through the feedback and see if the
goods match expectations in general. Personally I don't use the ships
from HK sellers and check reasonably rigoursly any potential seller.

What makes me suspect the charger is that it doesn't seem to take long
for the charging light to go off
Posted to uk.d-i-y

At least with eBay you can dig through the feedback and see if the
goods match expectations in general. Personally I don't use the ships
from HK sellers and check reasonably rigoursly any potential seller.

Agree about feedback. Most of the stuff I've had from HK has been
absolutely fine. It's never been rubbish, just once or twice a bit tacky
or underperforming slightly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 03:45:32 -0800 (PST), chudford wrote:

I have an old Dimage XG that I'm very fond of, but the battery

doesn't
last long any more.

I've a Minolta Dimage XT battery has been essentially useless from
new. Very short life and doesn't appear to hold charge when in the
camera.

Did you buy a genuine replacement battery for the camera or a cheapo
chinese one? In my experience some of the chinese copies are not very
good.

Just boughta cheap (£9.99 delivered from the UK, well channel
islands) chinese copy for my iPaq from eBay. Knocks spots of the old
chinese one that would be lucky to last 30 mins. Time will tell how
long the new one lasts of course but I'm happy ATM. B-) A HP
branded battery is in the order of £30...

I presume that you are talking about 7dayshop there

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:46:36 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

What makes me suspect the charger is that it doesn't seem to take long
for the charging light to go off

What sort of battery is it? Lithium based batteries/chargers try to
be rather too clever to protect the battery and the user. They have a
"fuel guage" abd protection circuitry. The "fuel guage" can get out
os step with actual battery charge level and te protection can get
triggered accidentally. Leaving things "on charge" for 24hrs or more
sometimes sorts things out, until the next time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 22:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:46:36 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

What makes me suspect the charger is that it doesn't seem to take long
for the charging light to go off

What sort of battery is it? Lithium based batteries/chargers try to
be rather too clever to protect the battery and the user. They have a
"fuel guage" abd protection circuitry. The "fuel guage" can get out
os step with actual battery charge level and te protection can get
triggered accidentally. Leaving things "on charge" for 24hrs or more
sometimes sorts things out, until the next time.

It's a lithium battery. Perhaps I need a stupid charger rather than a
smart one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 19/12/2011 22:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:46:36 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

What makes me suspect the charger is that it doesn't seem to take long
for the charging light to go off

What sort of battery is it? Lithium based batteries/chargers try to
be rather too clever to protect the battery and the user. They have a
"fuel guage" abd protection circuitry. The "fuel guage" can get out
os step with actual battery charge level and te protection can get
triggered accidentally. Leaving things "on charge" for 24hrs or more
sometimes sorts things out, until the next time.

It's a lithium battery. Perhaps I need a stupid charger rather than a
smart one

trouble is the batteries are also smart..for elfin safety reasons.