Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap laser cutter plastic

We've been having fun with the laser cutter recently... but 'professional'
(A1) acrylic sheets from our local supplier are a bit on the expensive side.
So I wondered if there was a source of cheap plastic sheet for messing about
with.

One thought was HDPE chopping boards (Tesco Value and friends, or
from the pound shop). Anyone have any other ideas of a source of cheap
uniform-ish flat plastic, somewhere between 1mm and 12mm? Is there some
supermarket or Ikea product that can be abused?

Cheers,
Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 1:20*am, Theo Markettos
wrote:
We've been having fun with the laser cutter recently... *but 'professional'
(A1) acrylic sheets from our local supplier are a bit on the expensive side.
So I wondered if there was a source of cheap plastic sheet for messing about
with.

One thought was HDPE chopping boards (Tesco Value and friends, or
from the pound shop). *Anyone have any other ideas of a source of cheap
uniform-ish flat plastic, somewhere between 1mm and 12mm? *Is there some
supermarket or Ikea product that can be abused?

Cheers,
Theo

I would have thought getting a boxful of assorted plastic sheet
products from the local tip would work, 10-20p a piece.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Theo Markettos" wrote in message
We've been having fun with the laser cutter recently... but
'professional'
(A1) acrylic sheets from our local supplier are a bit on the expensive
side.
So I wondered if there was a source of cheap plastic sheet for messing
about
with.

One thought was HDPE chopping boards (Tesco Value and friends, or
from the pound shop). Anyone have any other ideas of a source of cheap
uniform-ish flat plastic, somewhere between 1mm and 12mm? Is there some
supermarket or Ikea product that can be abused?

Look out your local signmakers who deal in the stuff.... They usually have
skiploads of offcuts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Dec 2011 01:20:15 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

One thought was HDPE chopping boards (Tesco Value and friends, or
from the pound shop). Anyone have any other ideas of a source of cheap
uniform-ish flat plastic, somewhere between 1mm and 12mm? Is there some
supermarket or Ikea product that can be abused?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50153123/

2mm x 37 cm x 29 cm, 2 quid pack of two, polyethylene.

I've seen temporary signs made of plastic shaped like cardboard: two flat
surfaces and a wavy bit in between. Usually cable-tied to things, easy to remove
the eyesores...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So I wondered if there was a source of cheap plastic sheet for messing about with.

Maybe something other than plastic? There's 2mm or 3mm plywood, thin MDF...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
We've been having fun with the laser cutter recently... but 'professional'
(A1) acrylic sheets from our local supplier are a bit on the expensive side.
So I wondered if there was a source of cheap plastic sheet for messing about
with.

One thought was HDPE chopping boards (Tesco Value and friends, or
from the pound shop). Anyone have any other ideas of a source of cheap
uniform-ish flat plastic, somewhere between 1mm and 12mm? Is there some
supermarket or Ikea product that can be abused?

Cheers,
Theo

Most hardwares have clear pvc sheeting(about 3mm) for glazing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RCW wrote:
Look out your local signmakers who deal in the stuff.... They usually
have skiploads of offcuts

Indeed. But my local one charges through the nose for them. Perhaps they
have a scrap value - like metal?

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50153123/

2mm x 37 cm x 29 cm, 2 quid pack of two, polyethylene.

The nice thing about Ikea is they tell you what everything's made of, and
decent dimensions. Those look interesting, though I'm curious what
'bendable' means. Hopefully they're not floppy...

I've seen temporary signs made of plastic shaped like cardboard: two flat
surfaces and a wavy bit in between. Usually cable-tied to things, easy to
remove the eyesores...

You mean estate agents' boards and the like... interesting thought. We have
some foamboard (expanded polystyrene sandwiched between two flat surfaces)
that's intended for artwork mounting etc... works quite nicely but the foam
retreats back into the core around cut surfaces, so cuts aren't very rigid.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Most hardwares have clear pvc sheeting(about 3mm) for glazing

PVC is tricky because on combustion it makes hydrogen chloride, which
dissolves in any water vapour to make hydrochloric acid. This is not good
news for the inside of your laser cutter. (PTFE is even more fun because
you get HF)

Is this glazing all PVC or are there other types? I'd have thought it would
be more likely to be polystyrene or polycarbonate?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
AOL CDs :-)

I like your style

should be cuttable into shapes about the right size for xmas tree
decorations

Sadly my piles of 1990s CDs are long gone. So I wonder if I can sign up to
a few 'free CD' mailing lists ;-)

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2011 11:18, Theo Markettos wrote:
F wrote:
Most hardwares have clear pvc sheeting(about 3mm) for glazing

PVC is tricky because on combustion it makes hydrogen chloride, which
dissolves in any water vapour to make hydrochloric acid. This is not good
news for the inside of your laser cutter. (PTFE is even more fun because
you get HF)

Is this glazing all PVC or are there other types? I'd have thought it would
be more likely to be polystyrene or polycarbonate?

Any of those three, plus acrylic and PET, although it should always be
identified.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Dec 2011 11:11:58 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
wrote:

The nice thing about Ikea is they tell you what everything's made of, and
decent dimensions. Those look interesting, though I'm curious what
'bendable' means. Hopefully they're not floppy...

I have some -- bendable, but not floppy. Can be rolled into a 27 cm long
cylinder, but springs back, mostly, shows some creep.

You mean estate agents' boards and the like... interesting thought. We have
some foamboard (expanded polystyrene sandwiched between two flat surfaces)
that's intended for artwork mounting etc... works quite nicely but the foam
retreats back into the core around cut surfaces, so cuts aren't very rigid.

The cheap clear sheeting off a roll is PET, I think it says so on a stamped text
I wiped off. Something like 10 Euros per square meter, here.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
Owain wrote:
AOL CDs :-)

I like your style

should be cuttable into shapes about the right size for xmas tree
decorations

Sadly my piles of 1990s CDs are long gone. So I wonder if I can sign up to
a few 'free CD' mailing lists ;-)

Laser cutting CDs is also bad. You get small quantities of HCl and CN
(cyanide) from the dyes used in the CD data layer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
[snip]

One thought was HDPE chopping boards (Tesco Value and friends, or
from the pound shop). Anyone have any other ideas of a source of cheap
uniform-ish flat plastic, somewhere between 1mm and 12mm? Is there some
supermarket or Ikea product that can be abused?

Ikea have a range of cheap plastic sheets sold for use as cutting boards.
They are polypropylene, available in a range of colours and about 3mm
thick. Barely good enough for cutting on but may suit you (sir).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
RCW wrote:
Look out your local signmakers who deal in the stuff.... They usually
have skiploads of offcuts

Indeed. But my local one charges through the nose for them. Perhaps they
have a scrap value - like metal?

Our local signmakers in Sidcup can't get rid of the stuff quick enough, all
shapes and sizes. As for the excellent Euro pallets it comes on they make a
good fence and shed :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 16:37:11 -0000, "RCW"
wrote:

Our local signmakers in Sidcup can't get rid of the stuff quick enough, all
shapes and sizes. As for the excellent Euro pallets it comes on they make a
good fence and shed :-)

Proper diy! Most of the feckers on here wouldn't know how to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You mean estate agents' boards and the like... interesting thought. We have
some foamboard (expanded polystyrene sandwiched between two flat surfaces)
that's intended for artwork mounting etc... works quite nicely but the foam
retreats back into the core around cut surfaces, so cuts aren't very rigid.

Just seen in a store with the colored paper and crayons: Stack of approx 2mm
thickness very fine foam rubber (neoprene?), assorted colors, 20 A4 sheets just
under 6 euros.

Might be useful to cut, stack and glue, or as gaskets?

Thomas Prufer