Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 8cm legs/plinth - IKEA Faktum?

Hi

Does anyone know if IKEA Faktum (kitchen cab) plastic legs can be cut down
to 8cm (from 16cm) and remain functionally sound?

If not, I'm looking for ideas on how to raise cabs from floor safely by
exactly 8cm - sorry, I'm not too handy and pushed for time ...

TIA

Flynn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 11:40*am, "Flynn" wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if IKEA Faktum (kitchen cab) plastic legs can be cut down
to 8cm (from 16cm) and remain functionally sound?

If not, I'm looking for ideas on how to raise cabs from floor safely by
exactly 8cm - sorry, I'm not too handy and pushed for time ...

No, they can't.

However, you can buy the shortest (11cm) stainless legs, remove the
screwed insert at the top, cut them down with a hacksaw or grinder,
and then put the insert back in.

If it's all going to be hidden behind a plinth, you could simply use
wooden blocks under the side panels of the units. You don't need legs
at the back at all, just sit everything on a batten screwed to the
wall.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 26, 11:40*am, "Flynn" wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if IKEA Faktum (kitchen cab) plastic legs can be cut down
to 8cm (from 16cm) and remain functionally sound?

If not, I'm looking for ideas on how to raise cabs from floor safely by
exactly 8cm - sorry, I'm not too handy and pushed for time ...

TIA

Flynn

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shower-Tra...-/250694429987

These go down to 65mm, although are slightly expensive. Standard 100mm
kitchen legs (smaller than the IKEA ones - available on eBay or from
lots of kitchen suppliers) go down to 88mm, and can usually be cut
down slightly, so would work at 80mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2011 11:40, Flynn wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if IKEA Faktum (kitchen cab) plastic legs can be cut
down to 8cm (from 16cm) and remain functionally sound?

If not, I'm looking for ideas on how to raise cabs from floor safely by
exactly 8cm - sorry, I'm not too handy and pushed for time ...

Get a length of 2x2" and saw 8cm long lumps off it. Dab of no more nails
etc on the end and sit them in place.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DaveN wrote:

If it's all going to be hidden behind a plinth, you could simply use
wooden blocks under the side panels of the units. You don't need legs
at the back at all, just sit everything on a batten screwed to the
wall.

If there's any possibility that someone may lean heavily on the carcase
bases in future, eg while doing plumbing or electrical work at the back,
it's worth properly supporting them anyway. I've had chipboard floors in
units break (possibly having got damp in the past). They're now all held up
with blocks as well as their legs.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
Bookcase Plinth Greg Esres Woodworking 4 March 19th 07 10:57 AM
plinth for bath david thorpe UK diy 8 April 3rd 06 10:27 PM
Black plinth cyclerider UK diy 15 August 27th 05 05:55 PM
Kitchen plinth which way up? David UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 04:58 PM