News

Default Garden Shed Roof Leaking

Can anyone help please?

My garden Shed roof is leaking due to sagging. The roof is 11 foot 6 x 7
foot 6 with a 6 inch drop.
The shed was handbuilt (poorly) by the previous owners and is covered in
felt over tongue and groove boarding. The 2 supporting beams are along the
long axis rather than the shorter one.
Each "beam" is are made out if 2 lengths of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" with a short
length of the same bracing them at the join (something like -_- ).
This has caused the centre of the roof to sag and leak. I have tried bracing
the roof with poles and sealing the joins of the felt with bitumen paint
with limited success.
Can anyone suggest a good to fix this? I am reluctant to replace the entire
roof as I'm not that adventurous with DIY and I don't think that the weather
will be kind enough to allow me an extended fixing period.

I was considering fitting a second roof over the first by constructing a
frame (with the main supports on the shorter span), boarding and felting
this.
This will hopefully allow me to increase the slope of the roof as well. A 6"
drop over 7 foot 6" seems a bit shallow to me.
Is this a relatively easy job? Or would removing the existing roof and
rebuilding be a better bet?

All suggestions gratefully received.

OldGit

"News" wrote in message
[...]

Cover with a Polythene sheet for the winter, then build a new roof in the
spring!

Andy Hall

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:57:15 -0000, "News"
wrote:

[...]

From experience, trying to fix something like this never works
satisfactorily.

I would suggest you buy a roll of the cheapest felt you can find or
even some plastic sheet and nail it on for the time being.

Then, when the weather improves, rip the whole lot off and build a new
roof. Generally you don't want the pitch to be mush less than about
15 degrees......

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
N. Thornton

wrote:

Can anyone help please?

My garden Shed roof is leaking due to sagging. The roof is 11 foot 6 x 7
foot 6 with a 6 inch drop.
The shed was handbuilt (poorly) by the previous owners and is covered in
felt over tongue and groove boarding. The 2 supporting beams are along the
long axis rather than the shorter one.
Each "beam" is are made out if 2 lengths of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" with a short
length of the same bracing them at the join (something like -_- ).
This has caused the centre of the roof to sag and leak. I have tried bracing
the roof with poles and sealing the joins of the felt with bitumen paint
with limited success.

From experience, trying to fix something like this never works
satisfactorily.

I would suggest you buy a roll of the cheapest felt you can find or
even some plastic sheet and nail it on for the time being.

Then, when the weather improves, rip the whole lot off and build a new
roof. Generally you don't want the pitch to be mush less than about
15 degrees......

Hi. I quite agree with Andy.

Your existing roof has 2 design problems. First its too light,
resulting in sagging. and thus holding water. Second its t-n-g and
felt, and the 2 dont mix well. Felt has to have a flat smooth surface
to sit on or it fails prematurely.

Come warmer weather I'd pull the whole roof off and build the frame up
a bit on one side to give more slope. Replace roof with 8x4 sheets of
18mm water resistant wood, and preferably pay attention to how you
joint the sheets. Run a length of eg 2x3 along under each joint, screw
into from above, and this is important, fill the resulting depression
smooth. Also fill any gap left between the sheets. The result is
you'll have a much longer felt life.

Now add good quality felt. A days work.

You can use any old junk for the filler, in this case. Dont build on
the existing roof because a) you trap wet, b) the roof isnt strong
enough to last, and c) its easy to remove and replace.

Regards, NT

existing base for garden shed....break it? john west++++ UK diy 2 October 9th 03 02:47 PM
break up base for garden shed? john west++++ UK diy 1 October 8th 03 12:31 PM
On the subject of a garden shed Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 27th 03 05:31 PM
Spur feed to garden shed... Me UK diy 4 August 6th 03 11:13 AM
Garden Shed Roof Andrew McKay UK diy 6 August 3rd 03 04:41 PM