computer_user

Default problems removing vinyl floor tiles

Hi,

We're pulling up old vinyl/plastic floor tiles to make way for a new
floor.

The existing tiles are in 3 rooms, all with concrete floors. One room
they were on top of a lino sheet, so that was easy. The bathroom tiles
had to be chipped off and have left stuff on the concrete. Dark brown
(in places sticky) stuff, presumably a tar-based adhesive? Any ideas
on how to get rid of these big patches?

The final room is the worst - we've not yet removed the tiles, because
there's something underneath them, which is stuck hard to the
concrete. Whatever it is it seems crumbly/fibrous when chipped at.

Not sure what it is - maybe a layer of levelling compound ?, or it may
be some kind damp membrane ? - or it maybe be some kind of
underlay/floor - in which case I'm a bit worried it might be asbestos
(area in question built in 1982). Its about 2mm thick,
greyish/brownish, with the dark adhesive on top.

I've uploaded pictures of them, if its any help !

pic1 - the adhesive stuff:
http://www.ochre.force9.co.uk/floors/pic1.jpg

pic2 - the thick stuff:
http://www.ochre.force9.co.uk/floors/pic1.jpg