Martin

Default Blocked toilet... help!

Moved into a new ground floor flat about a week ago and the toilet
blocked after day 2. When I flush the toilet the water rises all the
way to the rim and then it takes about 3-4 hours for all the water to
go down but it does go down to the normal level. I've tried a normal
plunger plus one of them aerosol power plungers (which threw loads of
water back at me - nice!)

The other drains (shower, 2 sinks) all drain away fine too. Is this
likely to be something I can fix myself?! As an aside, do you think
the flat above would be experiencing the same problem? Their pipe
connects to mine obviously...

Thanks in advance
Ian Stirling

Martin wrote:
Moved into a new ground floor flat about a week ago and the toilet
blocked after day 2. When I flush the toilet the water rises all the
way to the rim and then it takes about 3-4 hours for all the water to
go down but it does go down to the normal level. I've tried a normal
plunger plus one of them aerosol power plungers (which threw loads of
water back at me - nice!)

The other drains (shower, 2 sinks) all drain away fine too. Is this
likely to be something I can fix myself?! As an aside, do you think
the flat above would be experiencing the same problem? Their pipe
connects to mine obviously...

If the shower and sink drains, then unless you have some sort of grey-water
drains, it sounds like you've got a blockage in the toilet.

Try filling the bowl with warm soapy water, replacing as it empties with
hotter soapy water.

May help.

mrcheerful

"Martin" wrote in message
om...
Moved into a new ground floor flat about a week ago and the toilet
blocked after day 2. When I flush the toilet the water rises all the
way to the rim and then it takes about 3-4 hours for all the water to
go down but it does go down to the normal level. I've tried a normal
plunger plus one of them aerosol power plungers (which threw loads of
water back at me - nice!)

The other drains (shower, 2 sinks) all drain away fine too. Is this
likely to be something I can fix myself?! As an aside, do you think
the flat above would be experiencing the same problem? Their pipe
connects to mine obviously...

Thanks in advance

A bucket full of nearly boiling water would be the first thing to try.
Second will be stick your hand down and feel for a blockage, most likely
caused by an over-rim type toilet freshener falling in and being flushed.

mrcheerful

Timothy Murphy

Martin wrote:

Moved into a new ground floor flat about a week ago and the toilet
blocked after day 2.

I had exactly this last week.
I bought a plastic bottle of stuff called "Drain buster",
or some such title, in a local DIY supermarket.
It was caustic soda solution.
I followed the instructions - poured it down the loo,
left it overnight, and then added a few litres
of very hot (about 80deg C) water,
and that cleared it.
I'd tried various direct methods with plungers, etc,
but these didn't work.
(I bought a pair of goggles in case of disaster.)

Some people say that sulphuric acid is better than caustic soda -
I've seen it sold in plastic bottles for drain clearing
but couldn't find any this time.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

Clearing blocked toilet with caustic soda Timothy Murphy UK diy 45 August 9th 04 01:59 PM
Toilet Flexible Connector Issues Help! Quddus UK diy 12 January 12th 04 05:32 PM
Raised Toilet Andrew Mawson UK diy 11 December 12th 03 01:19 AM
blocked toilet philip UK diy 6 September 12th 03 02:54 PM
Replacing leaking toilet Jeremy Taylor UK diy 4 September 11th 03 05:51 PM