Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remove small dents from stainless steel fridge

Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 12:13 pm, larkim wrote:
Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt

is the brand relevant?

can you get to the rear of the panel?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 1:04*pm, Jim K wrote:

is the brand relevant?

can you get to the rear of the panel?

Jim K

Brand? Not sure. We have it because it is an odd size (which works
for us), but I believe it is a "quality" brand and the guage of the SS
might therefore be moderately relevant.

Can I get to the rear - not obviously, no.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 1:06 pm, larkim wrote:
On Sep 22, 1:04 pm, Jim K wrote:

is the brand relevant?

can you get to the rear of the panel?

Jim K

Brand? Not sure. We have it because it is an odd size (which works
for us), but I believe it is a "quality" brand and the guage of the SS
might therefore be moderately relevant.

it has dents so it isn't a luxuriously thick gauge then...

Can I get to the rear - not obviously, no.

oh well - fridge magnets?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:

Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

Hmm, options limited then ..

Glazing suckers/dent pullers maybe?

I guess a lot depends on the 'sharpness' of the dents, if they're
creased then it's unlikely you'll do anything good to them. If they're
just depressions it may be possible to 'suck' them out, or at least get
them nearer to flat.

Getting to the underside would give a far better choice of method and
chance of successful recovery.

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:
Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

You could try a suction cup type dent puller as sold for minor dents on
cars. Speak to your local mobile stonechip fixer if you don't want to
take a chance.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If they're just depressions it
may be possible to 'suck' them out,

do you have to find the local prozzie that can suck a golf ball through a
hose pipe for that job?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gazz wrote:

If they're just depressions it
may be possible to 'suck' them out,

do you have to find the local prozzie that can suck a golf ball
through a hose pipe for that job?

Nah, ask your wife nicely ..

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"larkim" wrote in message
Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt

I would say leave it alone, you don;t stand a chance of getting a good
finish.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 2:27*pm, "Baz" wrote:

I would say leave it alone, you don;t stand a chance of getting a good
finish.

Baz

That may well be the best option!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 1:13*pm, Jim K wrote:

it has dents so it isn't a luxuriously thick gauge then...

You don't know how hard my kids slammed their toys into it :-) Fair
point though!

oh well - fridge magnets?

Not allowed them near the fridge to avoid scratching the surface (!) -
SWMBO would be apoplectic!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 2:31 pm, larkim wrote:
On Sep 22, 1:13 pm, Jim K wrote:

it has dents so it isn't a luxuriously thick gauge then...

You don't know how hard my kids slammed their toys into it :-) Fair
point though!

oh well - fridge magnets?

Not allowed them near the fridge to avoid scratching the surface (!) -
SWMBO would be apoplectic!

Matt

(modern ones are mostly "magnetised" plastic not stonking bits of old
scratchy iron)

buy some Innocent smoothies for the kids (5 a day etc) the promo packs
have "plasnetic" letters in....

or why not sex the dents up with some stick on "james bond" bullet
hole decals?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/11 12:13, larkim wrote:
Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher& Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt

Some have had good results with freezer spray (or inverted airduster) on
cars:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379...ith_airduster/

or google for 'dent removal freezer spray'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2011 12:13, larkim wrote:
Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher& Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

Without access to the rear of the panel, and decent panel beating skills
and tools, you are probably stuffed, since the alternative car style
repair of filling, sanding, and refinishing does not sound like its
going to be an option either!

Dent pullers etc only really work on larger sized dents, and preferably
those without much creasing or stretching of the metal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 12:13*pm, larkim wrote:
Any tips on how to achieve the above? *Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. *The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt

Dent pulling is a skilled job. And even with the skills you're not
going to get a properly flat finish. You could take it to a panel
beater, but I doubt the result would look much better without filler.
Perhaps you could stick fridge magnets over the damage.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
larkim writes
On Sep 22, 2:27*pm, "Baz" wrote:

I would say leave it alone, you don;t stand a chance of getting a good
finish.

That may well be the best option!

I think Baz has put it very well/succinctly.

You need to get at the back of a panel to apply regular panel beating
techniques (ie completely strip & remove insulation).

Dressing out the ding would ruin the brushed effect on the outer so
expect to have the panel completely refinished, theeeeeen, refinish all
other panels to make them match the repaired one ;-).

Is there any truth in the rumour that you thought this would be the case
and are posting here to placate your other half?
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:34:54 +0100, fred wrote:

In article
,
larkim writes
On Sep 22, 2:27 pm, "Baz" wrote:

I would say leave it alone, you don;t stand a chance of getting a good
finish.

That may well be the best option!

I think Baz has put it very well/succinctly.

You need to get at the back of a panel to apply regular panel beating
techniques (ie completely strip & remove insulation).

Dressing out the ding would ruin the brushed effect on the outer so
expect to have the panel completely refinished, theeeeeen, refinish all
other panels to make them match the repaired one ;-).

Is there any truth in the rumour that you thought this would be the case
and are posting here to placate your other half?

Made us laugh.

IMHO take it to a bodyshop, get it filled (yes, car body filler),
refinished with the true and proper finish for white goods - paint. (Mind
the bodyshop should be able to do a pretty good match to an extremely wide
range of colours if white isn't desired.) Or live with it, dents and all.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:

Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher& Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

See if any of the companies that do car dent removal use a magnetic
induction heating tool, and are intereted in using the same to repair
your fridge?

http://youtu.be/zSz87hChfe8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 04:13:08 -0700 (PDT), larkim
wrote:

Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

You *might* have had a faint chance of an invisible repair on large dents, but
small? Naah. On brushed stainless, the quickest and probably cheapest option is
to buy a sheet of brushed stainless, possibly with four edges appropriately
bent, and sticking it on (silicone, double sided tape, whatever).

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
On Sep 22, 1:06 pm, larkim wrote:
On Sep 22, 1:04 pm, Jim K wrote:

is the brand relevant?

can you get to the rear of the panel?

Jim K

Brand? Not sure. We have it because it is an odd size (which works
for us), but I believe it is a "quality" brand and the guage of the SS
might therefore be moderately relevant.

it has dents so it isn't a luxuriously thick gauge then...

Can I get to the rear - not obviously, no.

oh well - fridge magnets?

Surprised TNP hasn't mentioned car body filler yet

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:49:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Have a Fisher& Paykel brushed stainless steel fridge that has

acquired
a few small dents from children and adults alike.

See if any of the companies that do car dent removal use a magnetic
induction heating tool,

Magnetic induction, stainless steel, hum...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:

You don't know how hard my kids slammed their toys into it :-) Fair
point though!

Not allowed them near the fridge to avoid scratching the surface (!) -
SWMBO would be apoplectic!

Matt

Not another case of a SWMBO asking the impossible is it? Who was on child
duty when the damage was done? I come home every day to find yet another
example of child vandalism in our house. Asking my missus what she was
doing at the time and why she didn't tell one of three to stop 'before
something gets damaged' usually ends up with us having dinner in silence

I have now decided not to buy anything nice until they have all emigrated
(including the wife, dog, budgie, goldfish AND the rescued squirrel!)

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:49:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Have a Fisher& Paykel brushed stainless steel fridge that has

acquired
a few small dents from children and adults alike.

See if any of the companies that do car dent removal use a magnetic
induction heating tool,

Magnetic induction, stainless steel, hum...

It works on copper.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:49:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

See if any of the companies that do car dent removal use a magnetic
induction heating tool,

Magnetic induction, stainless steel, hum...

It works on copper.

And tubas, apparently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"larkim" wrote in message
Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt

DentMaster? They get impossible dents out of cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 07:59:18 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

John Williamson wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:49:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

See if any of the companies that do car dent removal use a magnetic
induction heating tool,

Magnetic induction, stainless steel, hum...

It works on copper.

And tubas, apparently.

And you can happily induce currents in aluminum. Came across this being
used as a brake on huge wide-format digital photographic printers. Very
neat.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

And you can happily induce currents in aluminum. Came across this being
used as a brake on huge wide-format digital photographic printers. Very
neat.

Fun with magnets in thick walled copper tube

http://youtu.be/E97CYWlALEs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 08:57:56 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

polygonum wrote:

And you can happily induce currents in aluminum. Came across this being
used as a brake on huge wide-format digital photographic printers. Very
neat.

Fun with magnets in thick walled copper tube

http://youtu.be/E97CYWlALEs

Totally visually counter-intuitive.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:51:15 +0100, Chris Bartram
wrote:

Some have had good results with freezer spray (or inverted airduster) on
cars:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379...ith_airduster/

Now that's something I haven't seen before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 6:34*pm, fred wrote:

Is there any truth in the rumour that you thought this would be the case
and are posting here to placate your other half?

Guilty as charged, m'lud.

Matt