Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a chimney

Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap tiled
over?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 16, 9:01 pm, F news@nowhere wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap tiled
over?

couple of days +materials/profit ~6-700?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2011 21:12, Jim K wrote:
On Sep 16, 9:01 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap tiled
over?

couple of days +materials/profit ~6-700?

+ scaffolding and a skip, so double that...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 9:33 am, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2011 21:12, Jim K wrote:

On Sep 16, 9:01 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap tiled
over?

couple of days +materials/profit ~6-700?

+ scaffolding and a skip, so double that...

If the chimney is in Christchurch NZ, just wait a few hours and the
chimney will fall down by itself:
http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/drums/mqz-drum.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 16, 10:33 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2011 21:12, Jim K wrote:

On Sep 16, 9:01 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap tiled
over?

couple of days +materials/profit ~6-700?

+ scaffolding and a skip, so double that...

well was thinking tower scaffold & roof ladders - which most
reasoonable builders seem to be able to get hold of if not already
own?

a skip for 100 bricks ? sensitive on site recycling shurely m'lud?
BBQ, path....

mind you I am tight! ;)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2011 07:47, Jim K wrote:
On Sep 16, 10:33 pm, John wrote:
On 16/09/2011 21:12, Jim K wrote:

On Sep 16, 9:01 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap tiled
over?

couple of days +materials/profit ~6-700?

+ scaffolding and a skip, so double that...

well was thinking tower scaffold& roof ladders - which most
reasoonable builders seem to be able to get hold of if not already
own?

a skip for 100 bricks ? sensitive on site recycling shurely m'lud?
BBQ, path....

mind you I am tight! ;)

Jim K

Even with the soot, they might fetch a few quid on EBay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2011 07:47 Jim K wrote:

On Sep 16, 10:33 pm, John wrote:
On 16/09/2011 21:12, Jim K wrote:

On Sep 16, 9:01 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap tiled
over?

couple of days +materials/profit ~6-700?

+ scaffolding and a skip, so double that...

well was thinking tower scaffold& roof ladders - which most
reasoonable builders seem to be able to get hold of if not already
own?

Ouch! I was hoping for less than half that. Perhaps the local guy might
weave his usual magic and use just ladders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 17/09/2011 07:47 Jim K wrote:

On Sep 16, 10:33 pm, John wrote:
On 16/09/2011 21:12, Jim K wrote:

On Sep 16, 9:01 pm, Fnews@nowhere wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap
tiled
over?

couple of days +materials/profit ~6-700?

+ scaffolding and a skip, so double that...

well was thinking tower scaffold& roof ladders - which most
reasoonable builders seem to be able to get hold of if not already
own?

Ouch! I was hoping for less than half that. Perhaps the local guy might
weave his usual magic and use just ladders.

Doing that sort of work off a ladder is lunacy. A scaffold tower would
seem to be a good compromise if you have sufficient space for one to be
erected and the chimney is on an end wall. A local handyman type would
possibly have a scaffold tower. A bigger building firm are most likely
to go down the H&S route of needing a proper scaffolding to be put up.
You possibly don't need a skip if you are prepared to do a few trips to
the dump and clear up after the contractor.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doing that sort of work off a ladder is lunacy. A scaffold tower would
seem to be a good compromise if you have sufficient space for one to be
erected and the chimney is on an end wall. A local handyman type would
possibly have a scaffold tower. A bigger building firm are most likely
to go down the H&S route of needing a proper scaffolding to be put up.
You possibly don't need a skip if you are prepared to do a few trips to
the dump and clear up after the contractor.

Bob

I think a roofer would do the job off a ladder. Piece of cake, as you'd
be standing on the tiles most of the time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2011 15:36 stuart noble wrote:

Doing that sort of work off a ladder is lunacy. A scaffold tower would
seem to be a good compromise if you have sufficient space for one to be
erected and the chimney is on an end wall. A local handyman type would
possibly have a scaffold tower. A bigger building firm are most likely
to go down the H&S route of needing a proper scaffolding to be put up.
You possibly don't need a skip if you are prepared to do a few trips to
the dump and clear up after the contractor.

Bob

I think a roofer would do the job off a ladder. Piece of cake, as you'd
be standing on the tiles most of the time

That's what I was expecting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap
tiled over?

2 men at £100 each, plus materials at about £75...say another £75 for profit
and getting rid of the bricks, so £350 ish.

They should have it done in about 5 hours....forget scaffold and all that
****e, it's totally unnecesary, the bloke on the roof will lower down 3 or 4
bricks in a bucket on a rope until it's all down, and this is the only use
of a second man - without him it would be probably a full day for one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 8:55 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
F wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap
tiled over?

2 men at 100 each, plus materials at about 75...say another 75 for profit
and getting rid of the bricks, so 350 ish.

They should have it done in about 5 hours....forget scaffold and all that
****e, it's totally unnecesary, the bloke on the roof will lower down 3 or 4
bricks in a bucket on a rope until it's all down, and this is the only use
of a second man - without him it would be probably a full day for one

where you based Phil?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heh heh, ask for roofer under Age UK to lift an aerial off a roof
right by the guttering, both cable straps had snapped. Work breakdown
structure... place ladder against guttering, cut aerial cable, throw
aerial down into driveway, descend ladder. One quote demanding a
Cherry Picker because "H&S will not allow anyone to do it any other
way".

Lowest quote... £100.

I suspect an aerial installer would be £175-200 plus materials to
remove it AND fit a new one, far better approach!

You need to find someone old hand who can fit it in at their
convenience re turning up either between a job or having finished
something a bit sooner. That said I doubt it will be less than £420,
more likely £450 minimum. Diesel is not getting any cheaper, and most
things are going up in price including stupidity (£70 for obtainable
moron, £100 for a unobtainable competent).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Phil L
scribeth thus
F wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap
tiled over?

2 men at £100 each, plus materials at about £75...say another £75 for profit
and getting rid of the bricks, so £350 ish.

They should have it done in about 5 hours....forget scaffold and all that
****e, it's totally unnecesary, the bloke on the roof will lower down 3 or 4
bricks in a bucket on a rope until it's all down, and this is the only use
of a second man - without him it would be probably a full day for one

Would you be allowed under H&S regs to do that without scaffold?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2011 22:13, tony sayer wrote:
In , Phil L
scribeth thus
F wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but I
think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney (2
bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap
tiled over?

2 men at £100 each, plus materials at about £75...say another £75 for profit
and getting rid of the bricks, so £350 ish.

They should have it done in about 5 hours....forget scaffold and all that
****e, it's totally unnecesary, the bloke on the roof will lower down 3 or 4
bricks in a bucket on a rope until it's all down, and this is the only use
of a second man - without him it would be probably a full day for one

Would you be allowed under H&S regs to do that without scaffold?..

Seems to be a grey area. If every loose slate required scaffolding,
nothing would ever get done, and roofers would be out of a job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Sep 17, 8:55 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
F wrote:
Not too many years ago I would have taken a chimney down myself but
I think I'll give it a miss this time!

Anyone any idea on how much I might expect to pay to have a chimney
(2 bricks x 2 bricks x 13 bricks high) removed and the resultant gap
tiled over?

2 men at 100 each, plus materials at about 75...say another 75 for
profit and getting rid of the bricks, so 350 ish.

They should have it done in about 5 hours....forget scaffold and all
that ****e, it's totally unnecesary, the bloke on the roof will
lower down 3 or 4 bricks in a bucket on a rope until it's all down,
and this is the only use of a second man - without him it would be
probably a full day for one

where you based Phil?

I'm in the NW.

I would probably do this type of job on my own and charge about £175, I
can't see it taking more than about 8 tiles at £1.50 a pop, a fiver's worth
of timber and felt and a quid's worth sand/cement, so £25 would **** it for
materials, even if it's on the ridge and it needs a new ridge tile

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Would you be allowed under H&S regs to do that without scaffold?..

Yes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Seems to be a grey area. If every loose slate required scaffolding,
nothing would ever get done, and roofers would be out of a job.

And not just roofers, window cleaners, aerial fitters, even plumbers and
electricians often have need to go on rooves

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

and electricians often have need to go on rooves

How else do we manage to fit the England flags to our chimneys?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Phil L wrote:

and electricians often have need to go on rooves

How else do we manage to fit the England flags to our chimneys?

Reminds me of a numpty I know a few years ago ( who shall remain nameless!).

Working on his roof, he tied a rope to car in back garden, went up ladder at
the back and up and over so he could work on the front part of his roof.

He heard his wife start the car at the back so he ran up the roof and down
the other side to shout to her to stop but he lost his footing and fell off
into the back yard...to add insult to injury it wasn't even his car being
started, it was someone else's further down the street.

Same bloke a few months later came up to my brother (who worked with him at
the time) holding out a lump hammer, screaming, 'get it off, get it off' at
the top of his voice...our kid was thinking 'WTF' - it turns out he'd been
trying to get the hammer head back down tight onto the shaft and whilst
holding the shaft and banging it on the floor, he'd caught his skin between
the head and the shaft!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2011 19:15 Phil L wrote:

I would probably do this type of job on my own and charge about £175, I
can't see it taking more than about 8 tiles at £1.50 a pop, a fiver's worth
of timber and felt and a quid's worth sand/cement, so £25 would **** it for
materials, even if it's on the ridge and it needs a new ridge tile

An eminently sensible approach! Pity you don't live in Leeds: you'd have
a job come tomorrow morning...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 19, 12:20 am, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 18/09/2011 19:15 Phil L wrote:

I would probably do this type of job on my own and charge about 175, I
can't see it taking more than about 8 tiles at 1.50 a pop, a fiver's worth
of timber and felt and a quid's worth sand/cement, so 25 would **** it for
materials, even if it's on the ridge and it needs a new ridge tile

An eminently sensible approach! Pity you don't live in Leeds: you'd have
a job come tomorrow morning...

so offer him a bit more and see if he'll do it?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 18, 8:04*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Phil L wrote:

[...]

When I was even more foolish than I am now, I was working on a roof of
asbestos tiles replacing a few that had those copper clips missing and
had slid down. The roof was an awkward shape and I couldn't get a
ladder at the places where the job had been left (guess why.)

The roof was slightly damp after frost.
I found myself sitting on the lawn thinking: WTF?
So I climbed back up for more of the same.
I was ready for the second event but I still had to finish the job.
God knows what any neighbours were thinking after the third time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2011 21:43, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sep 18, 8:04 pm, "Phil wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Phil wrote:

[...]

I know just what it's like. I was once working on the roof of a house in
France. Not having a roof ladder, we walked up the asbestos roof of the
single storey kitchen and onto the main roof. After a while it began to
rain hard and we decided to climb down, only to find the roof of the
kitchen like an ice slide! We actually decended by sitting on it one by
one and sliding down while holding onto the aerial wire.

SteveW

removing a chimney breast paul UK diy 5 September 7th 11 08:20 AM
Removing exterior chimney Moo[_2_] Home Repair 1 April 3rd 08 03:56 AM
Removing chimney ideas adder1969 UK diy 6 June 4th 07 04:20 PM
Removing chimney breast [email protected] UK diy 3 April 13th 06 09:43 AM
Removing a chimney stack Ian Nutt UK diy 3 November 21st 03 06:03 PM