Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alde bubble gas leak detector, how does it work (and where to buy cheaply)?

I'm aiming to get one of these for the gas supply on our boat, can
anyone explain to me how they work? I just want to know out of
interest really.

Here's a link to one:-
http://chandlery.biz/product_info.php?products_id=253

If anyone can suggest a cheaper supplier I'd be very pleased too, best
price I can find is £38.38 plus delivery.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2011 20:56, wrote:
I'm aiming to get one of these for the gas supply on our boat, can
anyone explain to me how they work? I just want to know out of
interest really.

It looks similar to the fermentation trap used on the top of a
brewing/wine making vessel / jar in concept.

Basically as gas passes through it, its forced to bubble through a
liquid, hence making any gas flow "visible". So if installed near the
supply after the regulator, any bubbles indicate gas being passed into
the system. If all the taps are off, then you know something is leaking
or letting by.

Here's a link to one:-
http://chandlery.biz/product_info.php?products_id=253

If anyone can suggest a cheaper supplier I'd be very pleased too, best
price I can find is £38.38 plus delivery.

Its 44.91 at BES, so that seems like a decent price.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm submitted this idea :
It looks similar to the fermentation trap used on the top of a brewing/wine
making vessel / jar in concept.

Basically as gas passes through it, its forced to bubble through a liquid,
hence making any gas flow "visible". So if installed near the supply after
the regulator, any bubbles indicate gas being passed into the system. If all
the taps are off, then you know something is leaking or letting by.

I would agree with that description, though I have never seen one.

They are probably not much more useful than checking for leaks by
turning everything off, then the regulator off - leaving it off for a
while, then back on. If the regulator hisses, then you have leaked some
pressure. You do though have a constant check with the bubbler, for
potential leaks.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm submitted this idea :
It looks similar to the fermentation trap used on the top of a brewing/wine
making vessel / jar in concept.

Basically as gas passes through it, its forced to bubble through a liquid,
hence making any gas flow "visible". So if installed near the supply after
the regulator, any bubbles indicate gas being passed into the system. If all
the taps are off, then you know something is leaking or letting by.

I would agree with that description, though I have never seen one.

They are probably not much more useful than checking for leaks by
turning everything off, then the regulator off - leaving it off for a
while, then back on. If the regulator hisses, then you have leaked some
pressure. You do though have a constant check with the bubbler, for
potential leaks.

If it's that simple why is it so expensive?

Though looking at a close up of the device:-
http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=53

it seems as if you could well be right. You have to "Press the red
cap" for the leak detection to operate so presumably normally the gas
bypasses the leak detector chamber.

It still seems a bit of a rip-off price, typical boat equipment! :-)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 09:14, wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't dream of using one on a boat as it would give no audible
warning. By the time you've noticed it showing a leak the bilges could
be filled with gas or you could be accelerating skywards

Paul Mc Cann

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
On 8 Sep, 09:14, wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Hmm, I think I'd rather have a good visible indicator of a leak rather than
wait for a possibly fallible detector system to tell me that the leak had
already happened.

I don't think it's meant to replace a gas detector, more as an additional
safeguard.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
On 8 Sep, 09:14, wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm submitted this idea :
It looks similar to the fermentation trap used on the top of a brewing/wine
making vessel / jar in concept.

Basically as gas passes through it, its forced to bubble through a liquid,
hence making any gas flow "visible". So if installed near the supply after
the regulator, any bubbles indicate gas Â*being passed into the system. If all
the taps are off, then you know something is leaking or letting by.

I would agree with that description, though I have never seen one.

They are probably not much more useful than checking for leaks by
turning everything off, then the regulator off - leaving it off for a
while, then back on. If the regulator hisses, then you have leaked some
pressure. You do though have a constant check with the bubbler, for
potential leaks.

If it's that simple why is it so expensive?

Though looking at a close up of the device:-
Â* Â*http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=53

it seems as if you could well be right. Â*You have to "Press the red
cap" for the leak detection to operate so presumably normally the gas
bypasses the leak detector chamber.

It still seems a bit of a rip-off price, typical boat equipment! Â*:-)

--
Chris Green

Wouldn't dream of using one on a boat as it would give no audible
warning. By the time you've noticed it showing a leak the bilges could
be filled with gas or you could be accelerating skywards

I'm not considering it as the *only* safety device. It will however
spot very small leaks that might not cause any serious problem for a
very long time but which might become worse in time.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
fred wrote:
On 8 Sep, 09:14, wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Yes, exactly, a regular check of the bubble detector will show up even
tiny leaks before anything else is noticeable.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
fred wrote:

[snip]

Wouldn't dream of using one on a boat as it would give no audible
warning. By the time you've noticed it showing a leak the bilges could
be filled with gas or you could be accelerating skywards

I'm not considering it as the *only* safety device. It will however
spot very small leaks that might not cause any serious problem for a
very long time but which might become worse in time.

A Gaslow gauge will detect leaks on boats. Ensure all taps are closed then
turn off the cylinder valve. The gauge will show green. Check that the
gauge stays green for at least 24 hours.

Much more important on a boat is to turn off the gas at the cylinder when
sailing and whenever the gas is not in use. There's no hazardif the gas
cylinder is turned off and it is installed in a free draining gas locker.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

A Gaslow gauge will detect leaks on boats. Ensure all taps are closed then
turn off the cylinder valve. The gauge will show green. Check that the
gauge stays green for at least 24 hours.

Doesn't sound particularly practical on a boat you're actually
inhabiting ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

A Gaslow gauge will detect leaks on boats. Ensure all taps are closed then
turn off the cylinder valve. The gauge will show green. Check that the
gauge stays green for at least 24 hours.

Doesn't sound particularly practical on a boat you're actually inhabiting ...

Gas and boats are a poor combination. Leaving gas turned on on a boat is
Russian roulette.

Houseboats are floating caravans, not boats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:
fred wrote:

[snip]

Wouldn't dream of using one on a boat as it would give no audible
warning. By the time you've noticed it showing a leak the bilges could
be filled with gas or you could be accelerating skywards

I'm not considering it as the *only* safety device. It will however
spot very small leaks that might not cause any serious problem for a
very long time but which might become worse in time.

A Gaslow gauge will detect leaks on boats. Ensure all taps are closed then
turn off the cylinder valve. The gauge will show green. Check that the
gauge stays green for at least 24 hours.

Surely that would be a huge leak to empty the gas cylinder to that
extent in 24 hours.

Much more important on a boat is to turn off the gas at the cylinder when
sailing and whenever the gas is not in use. There's no hazardif the gas
cylinder is turned off and it is installed in a free draining gas locker.

Even less hazard if you don't carry any gas at all! :-)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:
fred wrote:

[snip]

Wouldn't dream of using one on a boat as it would give no audible
warning. By the time you've noticed it showing a leak the bilges could
be filled with gas or you could be accelerating skywards

I'm not considering it as the *only* safety device. It will however
spot very small leaks that might not cause any serious problem for a
very long time but which might become worse in time.

A Gaslow gauge will detect leaks on boats. Ensure all taps are closed then
turn off the cylinder valve. The gauge will show green. Check that the
gauge stays green for at least 24 hours.

Surely that would be a huge leak to empty the gas cylinder to that
extent in 24 hours.

Err the valve to the cylinder is closed. You're just monitoring losses from
the pipes/seals. Given that the pipe is usually 8 or 10mm any leaks will
show up quickly.

Much more important on a boat is to turn off the gas at the cylinder when
sailing and whenever the gas is not in use. There's no hazardif the gas
cylinder is turned off and it is installed in a free draining gas locker.

Even less hazard if you don't carry any gas at all! :-)

That is the best solution. May I introduce you to the concepts of diesel
heating, diesel ovens and Origo spirit burner hobs?