Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 22mm into 15mm and back to 22mm

Hello,

What are the consequences of 22mm CH pipe going into 15mm and back
again to 22mm before yet again going to 15mm for final run to
radiators?

House currently has 22mm from boiler which runs under landing and
under hall, from this is 15mm to rads.

As part of extension work we are having a new boiler which will be in
a new location. Plumbers have 22mm from boiler which runs for about
about 3m, then down into 15mm for new rads. But it looks as though
they will then take this 15mm and connect it to existing pipework
(22mm).

I estimate that the length of 15mm pipework between the two 22mm runs
will be about 2m.

Is this OK?

Thanks,

Graham
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 17, 10:32*am, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

What are the consequences of 22mm CH pipe going into 15mm and back
again to 22mm before yet again going to 15mm for final run to
radiators?

House currently has 22mm from boiler which runs under landing and
under hall, from this is 15mm to rads.

As part of extension work we are having a new boiler which will be in
a new location. Plumbers have 22mm from boiler which runs for about
about 3m, then down into 15mm for new rads. But it looks as though
they will then take this 15mm and connect it to existing pipework
(22mm).

I estimate that the length of 15mm pipework between the two 22mm runs
will be about 2m.

Is this OK?

Thanks,

Graham

No-one can say.
It depends on the size of your system and how new/big your circulating
pump is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 17, 1:10*pm, harry wrote:
[...]

OK, I understand, but is it bad practice in general?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 17, 10:32*am, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

What are the consequences of 22mm CH pipe going into 15mm and back
again to 22mm before yet again going to 15mm for final run to
radiators?

House currently has 22mm from boiler which runs under landing and
under hall, from this is 15mm to rads.

As part of extension work we are having a new boiler which will be in
a new location. Plumbers have 22mm from boiler which runs for about
about 3m, then down into 15mm for new rads. But it looks as though
they will then take this 15mm and connect it to existing pipework
(22mm).

I estimate that the length of 15mm pipework between the two 22mm runs
will be about 2m.

Is this OK?

How many rads will flow through the 15mm pipework. At each place
where the pipework branches there is the possibility to use smaller
pipes. A a general rule of thumb (amateur) I ran 22mm from the boiler
to the branch point where there were 3 or fewer radiators on the
branch. Then I dropped to 15mm Individual rads got 10mm pipe.

In fact, in my case (ordinary victorian end terrace) the size limit
was becuase of the flow noise rather than thepressure drop. if the
water velocity is too fast you hear the sound of it in the pipes and I
wanted to avoid that.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2011 10:32, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

What are the consequences of 22mm CH pipe going into 15mm and back
again to 22mm before yet again going to 15mm for final run to
radiators?

House currently has 22mm from boiler which runs under landing and
under hall, from this is 15mm to rads.

As part of extension work we are having a new boiler which will be in
a new location. Plumbers have 22mm from boiler which runs for about
about 3m, then down into 15mm for new rads. But it looks as though
they will then take this 15mm and connect it to existing pipework
(22mm).

I estimate that the length of 15mm pipework between the two 22mm runs
will be about 2m.

Is this OK?

IIRC there is a limit of a 6kW of power delivery on a 15mm pipe with a
flow temp at 81 and return at 70 - a bit less at condensing boiler flow
temperatures. So in general I would not be keen to have a significant
number of rads hanging off a length of 15mm. However, a short length of
smaller pipe will have a much lower overall effect than a long length.

--
Cheers,

John.