Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace asbestos cement garage roof.

Leaving aside the problems with asbestos disposal. What would be the
best material to replace the (properly disposed of) corrugated asbestos
cement roof? Corrugated bitumen sheets seem ok for sheds but they seem
a little flimsy for a garage roof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bash
writes
Leaving aside the problems with asbestos disposal. What would be the
best material to replace the (properly disposed of) corrugated asbestos
cement roof? Corrugated bitumen sheets seem ok for sheds but they seem
a little flimsy for a garage roof.

Cement fibre?

Same as you have but not asbestos since 1995.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 1:38*pm, Bash wrote:
Leaving aside the problems with asbestos disposal. What would be the
best material to replace the (properly disposed of) corrugated asbestos
cement roof? *Corrugated bitumen sheets seem ok for sheds but they seem
a little flimsy for *a garage roof.

Or box profile plastic coated steel. Much lighter to handle and
cheaper.
They will cut it to size for you.
Lasts15-20yrs depending on what grade you get.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On Aug 16, 1:38*pm, Bash wrote:
Leaving aside the problems with asbestos disposal. What would be the
best material to replace the (properly disposed of) corrugated asbestos
cement roof? *Corrugated bitumen sheets seem ok for sheds but they seem
a little flimsy for *a garage roof.

Or box profile plastic coated steel. Much lighter to handle and
cheaper.
They will cut it to size for you.
Lasts15-20yrs depending on what grade you get.

Tends to collect condensation on the underside. There was a fairly
recent discussion here.

If the purlins are strong enough to support asbestos you could do a
OSB/PIR foam/steel sandwich.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:15:52 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

On Aug 16, 1:38*pm, Bash wrote:
Leaving aside the problems with asbestos disposal. What would be the
best material to replace the (properly disposed of) corrugated asbestos
cement roof? *Corrugated bitumen sheets seem ok for sheds but they seem
a little flimsy for *a garage roof.

Or box profile plastic coated steel. Much lighter to handle and
cheaper.
They will cut it to size for you.
Lasts15-20yrs depending on what grade you get.

Modern materials aren't durable, are they? Onduline is about 15 years if
looked after (kept cleanish and moss etc. removed - not much else that one
can do), steel only a bit longer.
The roof on my shed is asbestos cement, has had a lot of moss, is only about
7 - 8 deg. slope and is ~60 yo. Yes, it has a few cracks but it doesn't
leak.
Trouble is, although I'd like to replace it before it cracks in a critical
place, there seems to be nothing that would be easy to use. There is only 1
support in 3m at a low angle and anything new would require at least 3 or a
full deck - and even a deck needs more support.
I'll leave it until a tuit lands in the garden.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 17, 10:11*am, PeterC wrote:
Modern materials aren't durable, are they? Onduline is about 15 years if
looked after (kept cleanish and moss etc. removed - not much else that one
can do), steel only a bit longer.

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel
garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly
perfect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 16, 9:08*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:

Or box profile plastic coated steel. Much lighter to handle and
cheaper.
They will cut it to size for you.
Lasts15-20yrs depending on what grade you get.

Tends to collect condensation on the underside. There was a fairly
recent discussion here.

I've never had this problem - possibly because it's about 20' high,
and even with a few people in there there's never enough moisture /
volume ratio to cause trouble,.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:39:28 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

On Aug 17, 10:11*am, PeterC wrote:
Modern materials aren't durable, are they? Onduline is about 15 years if
looked after (kept cleanish and moss etc. removed - not much else that one
can do), steel only a bit longer.

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel
garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly
perfect.

That's worth knowing. I'm 64, so if it'll last 25 years...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:39:28 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

On Aug 17, 10:11 am, PeterC wrote:
Modern materials aren't durable, are they? Onduline is about 15 years if
looked after (kept cleanish and moss etc. removed - not much else that
one
can do), steel only a bit longer.

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel
garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly
perfect.

That's worth knowing. I'm 64, so if it'll last 25 years...
--

For me appearance was also an important factor. I chose Steadman's AS 2000,
not cheap but long lasting and still looking good 4 years on.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 10:09:01 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:39:28 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel
garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly
perfect.

That's worth knowing. I'm 64, so if it'll last 25 years...

You probably /will/ have to get someone in to repair it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Geo
writes
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:39:28 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel
garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly
perfect.

That's worth knowing. I'm 64, so if it'll last 25 years...

You probably /will/ have to get someone in to repair it.

:-)

Care with installation is important, particularly on shallow pitched
roofing. Rain can *bounce* under the sheet laps. Steadmans will
recommend using a butyl strip seal and stitcher screws along the laps.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 18, 10:09*am, PeterC wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:39:28 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 17, 10:11*am, PeterC wrote:
Modern materials aren't durable, are they? Onduline is about 15 years if
looked after (kept cleanish and moss etc. removed - not much else that one
can do), steel only a bit longer.

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel
garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly
perfect.

That's worth knowing. I'm 64, so if it'll last 25 years...

.... you only need to plan on replacing it once. (In 2008, government
staticians reckoned that a 64 year old man in 2011 would have a life
expectancy of 22.3 years - so the odds of not making 25 years is only
slightly less than 50/50)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:35:45 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Geo
writes
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:39:28 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel
garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly
perfect.

That's worth knowing. I'm 64, so if it'll last 25 years...

You probably /will/ have to get someone in to repair it.

:-)

Care with installation is important, particularly on shallow pitched
roofing. Rain can *bounce* under the sheet laps. Steadmans will
recommend using a butyl strip seal and stitcher screws along the laps.

regards

It's 3m long, same as the shed next to that was done with Corruline, so 2m
sheets give a good overlap - about 90cm - and should be enough to stop water
getting blown back up the slope.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 05:39:28 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

I'm not impressed with Onduline (OK for sheds), but my big steel
garage (vinyl coated steel) is 25 years old and still spotlessly
perfect.

That's worth knowing. I'm 64, so if it'll last 25 years...

You probably /will/ have to get someone in to repair it.

:-)

Care with installation is important, particularly on shallow pitched
roofing. Rain can *bounce* under the sheet laps. Steadmans will
recommend using a butyl strip seal and stitcher screws along the laps.

regards

It's 3m long, same as the shed next to that was done with Corruline, so 2m
sheets give a good overlap - about 90cm - and should be enough to stop water
getting blown back up the slope.

Sorry. I was referring to the box section, rolled steel sheet side laps.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:45:46 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , PeterC
writes

wrote:

[...]

Ah, thanks. Yes, that would be less pliable and so more likely to have big
gaps and on a slack slope watere could easily be blown in.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away