Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default single phase Watt hour meter

Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2011 23:33, SS wrote:
Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Sounds rather like the electricity meter! You probably know what they
are for ;-)

There will usually be a indication of the flash significance printed on
it - say one flash every 100th kwh consumed. So basically the faster it
flashes the more its costing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 15/08/2011 23:33, SS wrote:
Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Sounds rather like the electricity meter! You probably know what they are
for ;-)

There will usually be a indication of the flash significance printed on
it - say one flash every 100th kwh consumed. So basically the faster it
flashes the more its costing.

Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 15/08/2011 23:33, SS wrote:
Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Sounds rather like the electricity meter! You probably know what they are
for ;-)

There will usually be a indication of the flash significance printed on
it - say one flash every 100th kwh consumed. So basically the faster it
flashes the more its costing.

Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Thanks for replies, wasnt sure if the light was a warning light of some
kind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2011 10:21, SS wrote:
wrote in message

"John wrote in message
On 15/08/2011 23:33, SS wrote:
Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Sounds rather like the electricity meter! You probably know what they are
for ;-)

There will usually be a indication of the flash significance printed on
it - say one flash every 100th kwh consumed. So basically the faster it
flashes the more its costing.

Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Thanks for replies, wasnt sure if the light was a warning light of some
kind.

Only that someone is dipping into your pocket on every flash ;-)

(just looked at mine - that is one flash per 1000th kwh as well)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Thanks for replies, wasnt sure if the light was a warning light of some
kind.

Only that someone is dipping into your pocket on every flash ;-)

(just looked at mine - that is one flash per 1000th kwh as well)

Wouldn't it be simpler to say 1 wh per flash? :-)

--
Chris Green