DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   single phase Watt hour meter (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/327321-single-phase-watt-hour-meter.html)

SS[_2_] August 16th 11 12:33 AM

single phase Watt hour meter

Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

John Rumm August 16th 11 02:12 AM

On 15/08/2011 23:33, SS wrote:
Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Sounds rather like the electricity meter! You probably know what they
are for ;-)

There will usually be a indication of the flash significance printed on
it - say one flash every 100th kwh consumed. So basically the faster it
flashes the more its costing.

--
Cheers,

John.

harryagain August 16th 11 07:26 AM

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 15/08/2011 23:33, SS wrote:
Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Sounds rather like the electricity meter! You probably know what they are
for ;-)

There will usually be a indication of the flash significance printed on
it - say one flash every 100th kwh consumed. So basically the faster it
flashes the more its costing.

Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

SS[_2_] August 16th 11 11:21 AM

"harryagain" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 15/08/2011 23:33, SS wrote:
Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Sounds rather like the electricity meter! You probably know what they are
for ;-)

There will usually be a indication of the flash significance printed on
it - say one flash every 100th kwh consumed. So basically the faster it
flashes the more its costing.

Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Thanks for replies, wasnt sure if the light was a warning light of some
kind.

John Rumm August 16th 11 03:17 PM

On 16/08/2011 10:21, SS wrote:
wrote in message

"John wrote in message
On 15/08/2011 23:33, SS wrote:
Just recently moved into this house and it has a single phase watt hour
meter, it is positioned just above the normal main switch box.
To be honest I dont know if I had similar in my previous house.
What is it? as in whats it for.
and
Every so often I see a red light flash on momentarily, what is that for?

Sounds rather like the electricity meter! You probably know what they are
for ;-)

There will usually be a indication of the flash significance printed on
it - say one flash every 100th kwh consumed. So basically the faster it
flashes the more its costing.

Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Thanks for replies, wasnt sure if the light was a warning light of some
kind.

Only that someone is dipping into your pocket on every flash ;-)

(just looked at mine - that is one flash per 1000th kwh as well)

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] August 16th 11 04:31 PM

John Rumm wrote:
Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Thanks for replies, wasnt sure if the light was a warning light of some
kind.

Only that someone is dipping into your pocket on every flash ;-)

(just looked at mine - that is one flash per 1000th kwh as well)

Wouldn't it be simpler to say 1 wh per flash? :-)

--
Chris Green

John Rumm August 17th 11 12:39 AM

On 16/08/2011 15:31, wrote:
John wrote:
Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Thanks for replies, wasnt sure if the light was a warning light of some
kind.

Only that someone is dipping into your pocket on every flash ;-)

(just looked at mine - that is one flash per 1000th kwh as well)

Wouldn't it be simpler to say 1 wh per flash? :-)

It would, but I was indicating how it is marked.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

The Other Mike[_3_] August 17th 11 11:36 AM

single phase Watt hour meter

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:39:14 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 16/08/2011 15:31, wrote:
John wrote:
Usually 1000th of a Kwh. Ie, it flashes once per watt hour.

Thanks for replies, wasnt sure if the light was a warning light of some
kind.

Only that someone is dipping into your pocket on every flash ;-)

(just looked at mine - that is one flash per 1000th kwh as well)

Wouldn't it be simpler to say 1 wh per flash? :-)

It would, but I was indicating how it is marked.

With a *small* w ????