DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How much space needed for a staircase (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/327295-how-much-space-needed-staircase.html)

[email protected] August 15th 11 01:44 PM

How much space needed for a staircase

We're looking into providing our son with a separate part of our house
to use as his home (he currently rents a flat locally). It all looks
fairly easily do-able but one issue is the need for a new staircase.

I'm pretty sure there's enough space but looking at staircases from
Screwfix and such it's very difficult to workout how much space the
actually need.

We're aiming to put it in one end of our (very large) hall, the space
we'd *like* to fit it into is about 2.2 metres by 2.5 metres and has
one outside door opening into it. Is it practical to get a
conventional staircase into this space (with a turn if necessary) or
do we need to be thinking about some sort of compact/spiral one?

--
Chris Green

geraldthehamster[_2_] August 15th 11 02:27 PM

On 15 Aug, 12:44, wrote:
We're looking into providing our son with a separate part of our house
to use as his home (he currently rents a flat locally). *It all looks
fairly easily do-able but one issue is the need for a new staircase.

I'm pretty sure there's enough space but looking at staircases from
Screwfix and such it's very difficult to workout how much space the
actually need.

We're aiming to put it in one end of our (very large) hall, the space
we'd *like* to fit it into is about 2.2 metres by 2.5 metres and has
one outside door opening into it. *Is it practical to get a
conventional staircase into this space (with a turn if necessary) or
do we need to be thinking about some sort of compact/spiral one?

--
Chris Green

I fitted a straight staircase with three winders at the bottom into a
3.3 metre length of floor (the "going"), and had a fairly gentle angle
of 38 degrees. The steepest angle allowed by Building Regs is 42
degrees. You should be OK.

Cheers
Richard

gazz August 15th 11 03:03 PM

How much space needed for a staircase

We're looking into providing our son with a separate part of our house
to use as his home (he currently rents a flat locally). It all looks
fairly easily do-able but one issue is the need for a new staircase.

I'm pretty sure there's enough space but looking at staircases from
Screwfix and such it's very difficult to workout how much space the
actually need.

hole in the celing, square of plywood, some rope and a few pulleys...

a human powered lift, it'll keep him fit using it, and take up less room
than a stair case :)

Bob Minchin[_4_] August 15th 11 03:04 PM

wrote:
We're looking into providing our son with a separate part of our house
to use as his home (he currently rents a flat locally). It all looks
fairly easily do-able but one issue is the need for a new staircase.

I'm pretty sure there's enough space but looking at staircases from
Screwfix and such it's very difficult to workout how much space the
actually need.

We're aiming to put it in one end of our (very large) hall, the space
we'd *like* to fit it into is about 2.2 metres by 2.5 metres and has
one outside door opening into it. Is it practical to get a
conventional staircase into this space (with a turn if necessary) or
do we need to be thinking about some sort of compact/spiral one?

I'm not sure about this but I think I've read somewhere that if you
split a dwelling into separate dwellings, each will treated individually
for council tax and often the total tax will be greater than that levied
on the original property.
In your case there might be something you could do ie by having a
connecting door 'always unlocked' to avoid this.

Can't help with the stairs but thought it worth mentioning the possible
CT poo trap.

The building regs are very specific about stairs in many ways so having
a look there might help.

Bob

Jim K[_3_] August 15th 11 03:47 PM

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
[...]

you are correct.

In your case there might be something you could do ie by having a
connecting door 'always unlocked' to avoid this.

yup - also beware seperate kitchen areas can attract the bean counters too

Worth a hypothetical anonymous question phone call before you get too far
down...

Jim K

MuddyMike August 15th 11 04:09 PM

[...]

If it is a complete habitation which includes kitchen and bathroom it is
indeed treated as separate for CT. Having a connecting door makes no
difference. We were caught out by that when we created an annex to our house
from existing rooms, and existing outside doors. The buggers also refused to
reduce the banding of the main house due to improvements increasing its
value since last assessment.

Mike

John Rumm August 15th 11 04:54 PM

On 15/08/2011 12:44, wrote:

We're looking into providing our son with a separate part of our house
to use as his home (he currently rents a flat locally). It all looks
fairly easily do-able but one issue is the need for a new staircase.

I'm pretty sure there's enough space but looking at staircases from
Screwfix and such it's very difficult to workout how much space the
actually need.

We're aiming to put it in one end of our (very large) hall, the space
we'd *like* to fit it into is about 2.2 metres by 2.5 metres and has
one outside door opening into it. Is it practical to get a
conventional staircase into this space (with a turn if necessary) or
do we need to be thinking about some sort of compact/spiral one?

A conventional stair ought to fit. Building regs document K1 is the one
you need. Relevant bits extracted below:

"STAIRS AND LADDERS
Steepness of stairs Rise and going
1.1 The requirement will be satisfied if, in a flight, the steps all
have the same rise and the same going to the dimensions shown in 1.3 or
comply with 1.4 and 1.5.
1.2 Three categories of stairs are considered in this Approved Document:
"Private" intended to be used for only one dwelling.
"Institutional and assembly" serving a place where a substantial number
of people wilt gather.
"Other" in all other buildings.
1.3 Indication of the practical limits for rise and going, for each
category of stair which satisfies the requirements, is given below.

a. Private stair: Any rise between 155mm and 220mm used with any going
between 245mm and 260mm, or
Any rise between 165mm and 200mm used with any going between 223mm and
300mm.

The maximum pitch for a private stair is 42deg

1-5 The normal relationship between the dimensions of the rise and
going is that twice the rise plus the going (2R + G) should be between
550mm and 700mm.
Diagram 1 shows how to measure the rise and going (for steps with
tapered treads, see also paragraphs 1.18 - 1.20).

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 15th 11 05:40 PM

Bob Minchin wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes. check out tax issues in making a 'maisonette' out of a house.

OTOH if he is simply sharing your house and you add a staircase, that;s
that. Likewise if he isn't paying rent exactly you can't be taxed on it.

There are exact limits on staircase and the smallest footprint is pretty
much what I did - a three section stair with two landings at about 800mm
and 1.6m above floor level and three short flights Its about 2 meters
square out of the lower and upper floor.

Its a steep rise but because it winds a bit the building regs can be
bent a little.

As straight staircase takes a LOT of room.

Squeezing staircases in means hand making as well. Suggest glued and
screwed MDF.

Finally watch out for fire issues..ma ned more smoke alarms. Definitely
this one is worth getting building control in on, and, if you cant do
the math, an architect.

andrew August 15th 11 08:13 PM

On Aug 15, 12:44*pm, wrote:
We're looking into providing our son with a separate part of our house
to use as his home (he currently rents a flat locally). *It all looks
fairly easily do-able but one issue is the need for a new staircase.

I'm pretty sure there's enough space but looking at staircases from
Screwfix and such it's very difficult to workout how much space the
actually need.

We're aiming to put it in one end of our (very large) hall, the space
we'd *like* to fit it into is about 2.2 metres by 2.5 metres and has
one outside door opening into it. *Is it practical to get a
conventional staircase into this space (with a turn if necessary) or
do we need to be thinking about some sort of compact/spiral one?

--
Chris Green

That's more than enough space. I'm about to take out a staircase we
fitted a few years ago to an attic that fits in a space about 1400mm x
2100mm, and goes up 3.1m floor to floor. There are lots of sites that
will help you design a suitable staircase, and quote to supply it.
tkstairs.com is quite good, as is stairplan.com

Jules Richardson August 15th 11 08:27 PM

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:03:45 +0100, Gazz wrote:
hole in the celing, square of plywood, some rope and a few pulleys...

a human powered lift, it'll keep him fit using it, and take up less room
than a stair case :)

Or a Paternoster? Wheeeeee! (squish)

John Rumm August 16th 11 02:33 AM

On 15/08/2011 19:13, andrew wrote:
On Aug 15, 12:44 pm, wrote:
[...]

Or make your own - quite good fun, and half to a third the price.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mark[_30_] August 18th 11 12:03 PM

How much space needed for a staircase

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:04:29 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

The building regs are very specific about stairs in many ways so having
a look there might help.

Yes. I don't know a lot about them but I couldn't replace my
staircase since I didn't have enough headroom clearance.
--
(\__/) M.