Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House insurance (OT)

Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and contents)
gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year to £328 for a 2
bed bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason. I haven't claimed
for more years than I can recall. Further they took my accidental cover off
me and gave me "sports insurance " - for bikes and equipment I don't
possess! Its RBS. Is something going on here?

Haven't been able to get quotes off sites today as they either wouldn't
recognize my occupation, thought I was foreign ( despite my putting in I was
born here) and in one case suggested a premium of £1029 ( I kid not!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 6:07*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and contents)
gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year * to £328 *for a 2
bed *bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason. * I haven't claimed
for more years than I can recall. *Further they took my accidental cover off
me and gave me "sports insurance " - for bikes and equipment I don't
possess! Its RBS. Is something going on here?

Haven't been able to get quotes off sites today as they either wouldn't
recognize my occupation, thought I was foreign ( despite my putting in I was
born here) *and in one case suggested a premium of £1029 ( I kid not!)

All insurance has gone up a lot this year. I got 10% off three
different policies just by questioning the increases.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and
contents) gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year to £328 for a 2
bed bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason.

It's because you haven't shopped around and they are playing you for a mug

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim...." wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and
contents) gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year to £328 for a 2
bed bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason.

It's because you haven't shopped around and they are playing you for a mug

Yes, I found out from my car insurance there is no reward for loyalty
anymore - or even a fair price.

But the fact they have an open direct debit which will renew automatically
it does seem a P*ss take to send a renewal like this.
M&S ( which is AXA) will offer me the same cover for £228 which is less
than AXA themselves will offer it for ( they want £270).
Similarly I had two different quotes from RIAS - one two weeks ago, valid
until October which was £238 and one now which was £290!
Go figure.

As for using price comparison sites - confused.com is really confusing. Its
sure got me confused anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/15/2011 06:07 PM, sweetheart wrote:
Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and
contents) gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year to £328 for a 2
bed bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason. I haven't
claimed for more years than I can recall. Further they took my
accidental cover off me and gave me "sports insurance " - for bikes and
equipment I don't possess! Its RBS. Is something going on here?

Haven't been able to get quotes off sites today as they either wouldn't
recognize my occupation, thought I was foreign ( despite my putting in I
was born here) and in one case suggested a premium of £1029 ( I kid not!)

Try Aviva. They're not on the comparison sites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Have you tried insurance broker ??

A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/15/2011 06:07 PM, sweetheart wrote:

Try Aviva. They're not on the comparison sites.

Is that from experience or because you have seen it on TV?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:49:54 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Try Aviva. They're not on the comparison sites.

Is that from experience or because you have seen it on TV?

From experience. I think they'll still give you an initial discount, so like
everyone else, the following year you have to check again, but this time I
decided to stay with them.

As you point out, you have to keep a close watch on the small print as they
change the terms in an effort to keep the headline premium down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Have you tried insurance broker ??

A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground here.

Alexander Graham Bell must be turning in his grave.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Have you tried insurance broker ??

A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground here.

Alexander Graham Bell must be turning in his grave.

--
Adam

Have you not heard of the internet? No one uses a phone these days!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2011 18:55, Andy Cap wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:49:54 +0100, "sweetheart"hotmail.com wrote:

Try Aviva. They're not on the comparison sites.

Is that from experience or because you have seen it on TV?

From experience. I think they'll still give you an initial discount, so like
everyone else, the following year you have to check again, but this time I
decided to stay with them.

Have to say I'm well impressed with them; at least for motor
insurance... last year, with two teenage drivers on to my policy
(aargh!) I did the old comparison site tango, and got about 300 quotes
from several different sites. Aviva - not on the comparison sites -
undercut them all dramatically so I went with them.

Just had my renewal notice from them - up by about 25-30% on last year
despite no claims or changes in circs. "Aye, aye" I thought - they're
taking the mick from a renewing customer. Went back on the comparison
sites again, and could not find a single premium there below £2,600. My
*renewal* premium with Aviva, however, was only(!) £1,450.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
On 15/08/2011 18:55, Andy Cap wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:49:54 +0100, "sweetheart"hotmail.com wrote:

Try Aviva. They're not on the comparison sites.

Is that from experience or because you have seen it on TV?

From experience. I think they'll still give you an initial discount, so
like
everyone else, the following year you have to check again, but this time
decided to stay with them.

Have to say I'm well impressed with them; at least for motor insurance...
last year, with two teenage drivers on to my policy (aargh!) I did the old
comparison site tango, and got about 300 quotes from several different
sites. Aviva - not on the comparison sites - undercut them all
dramatically so I went with them.

Just had my renewal notice from them - up by about 25-30% on last year
despite no claims or changes in circs. "Aye, aye" I thought - they're
taking the mick from a renewing customer. Went back on the comparison
sites again, and could not find a single premium there below £2,600. My
*renewal* premium with Aviva, however, was only(!) £1,450.

I have just got a quote off them . £176 . I can have free contents insurance
apparently.
Its very tempting as the cover is virtually like for like with my existing
policy ( I could even add protected no claims and probably come in cheaper
than the other quotes I have)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 6:46 pm, "sweetheart" wrote:
Have you tried insurance broker ??

A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground here.

They are located in your nearest sizeable town, and may be 'rung up'
on the telephone.

My nearest sizeable town is thirty miles away. I did say I was rural. I
prefer the internet. Oddly I have lost the art of talking to people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:01:46 +0100, sweetheart wrote:
A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground here.

Alexander Graham Bell must be turning in his grave.

Have you not heard of the internet? No one uses a phone these days!

I thought they all use Blackberry's messaging service, then smash stuff
up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2011 19:17, sweetheart wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 6:46 pm, "sweetheart" wrote:
Have you tried insurance broker ??

A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground here.

They are located in your nearest sizeable town, and may be 'rung up'
on the telephone.

My nearest sizeable town is thirty miles away. I did say I was rural...

That, in itself, will increase your premiums. Thefts in rural areas are
going up significantly.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Have you tried insurance broker ??

A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground
here.

Alexander Graham Bell must be turning in his grave.

--
Adam

Have you not heard of the internet? No one uses a phone these days!

And?

You you would have neither without AGB.

Why do you need the insurance broker to live in your village? You can call
or email one that lives miles away.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:17:18 +0100, sweetheart wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message

On Aug 15, 6:46 pm, "sweetheart" wrote:

My nearest sizeable town is thirty miles away. I did say I was rural.

Try the NFU - they like rural g and you don't have to be a member.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Have you tried insurance broker ??

A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground
here.

Alexander Graham Bell must be turning in his grave.

--
Adam

Have you not heard of the internet? No one uses a phone these days!

And?

You you would have neither without AGB.

In that case I would doubt that he is turning in his grave ( your
implication was that my desire not to use a phone would be the cause?) . I
suspect AGB would welcome the internet.

Why do you need the insurance broker to live in your village? You can call
or email one that lives miles away.

I don't but the last time I used a broker I left a message on an answer
maching and I couldn't get them to call me! So I have given up on that
method.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 6:46 pm, "sweetheart" wrote:
Have you tried insurance broker ??
A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground here.

They are located in your nearest sizeable town, and may be 'rung up'
on the telephone.

My nearest sizeable town is thirty miles away. I did say I was rural...

That, in itself, will increase your premiums. Thefts in rural areas are
going up significantly.

a) they would have to find us first
b) There is always someone here - either me or OH or both.

There has been the odd burgler in the village and a drug baron too ( they
lived there in nice houses and with posh cars until the police mounted a
dawn raid). We breed a better class of burgler here ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 6:46 pm, "sweetheart" wrote:
Have you tried insurance broker ??
A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground
here.

They are located in your nearest sizeable town, and may be 'rung up'
on the telephone.

My nearest sizeable town is thirty miles away. I did say I was
rural...

That, in itself, will increase your premiums. Thefts in rural areas
are going up significantly.

a) they would have to find us first

That eBayer you bought the plate off has your address.

He sounded dodgy to me.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Don't make things up and twist and turn your words that make it obvious that
you are a troll.

You made the implication that the broker had to live locally. I pointed out
that he need not.

Why do you need the insurance broker to live in your village? You
can call or email one that lives miles away.

I don't but the last time I used a broker I left a message on an
answer maching and I couldn't get them to call me! So I have given
up on that method.

Well if you were as pleasant and honest on the broker's answer machine
message as you are on usenet then I suspect that the broker just deleted
your message and assumed that you are a complete waste of space.

You did phone the broker and leave a message about an insurance quote didn't
you?

Or did and just leave a message banging on about patio doors, kitchen fires,
an automatic car, an inheritance and the OHs failure to get an erection?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Or did and just leave a message banging on about patio doors, kitchen
fires, an automatic car, an inheritance and the OHs failure to get an
erection?

Most of that I may have accepted as a joke but the last 8 words are uncalled
for and frankly offensive.

You dont have to like me. You do have the choice of not answering me. Nut to
be rude about my OH who has done you no harm is unnecessary.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

There has been the odd burgler in the village and a drug baron too ( they
lived there in nice houses and with posh cars until the police mounted a
dawn raid). We breed a better class of burgler here ;-)

At first glance I read that as "bugler".

Oh we had one of those too. At 3.00 am pie eyed as a newt and playing the
cavelry charge . You could hear it across the whole valley. Police did him
for disturbing the peace.

Something else I am coming across now. LV ( who I have my car with) have
stipulated that I upgrade all the locks in the house within 28 days if I
accept their insurance. I have a note in with RBS to a similar effect.

They want locks on all windows and doors. Mortice locks and locks on patio
and French doors ( the later two being a problem still in the solving).

All I have are standard Yale locks. I cant understand RBS though because
they have insured me for 10 years without a locks codicil. As I said, I
haven't claimed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Or did and just leave a message banging on about patio doors, kitchen
fires, an automatic car, an inheritance and the OHs failure to get an
erection?

Most of that I may have accepted as a joke but the last 8 words are
uncalled for and frankly offensive.

You dont have to like me. You do have the choice of not answering me.
Nut to be rude about my OH who has done you no harm is unnecessary.

Why should I not take the **** out of your OH?

He (if he exists) is your problem not mine.

When you are given nice polite advice from any poster you go on the
offensive and claim that it cannot be done. You lie and make up all your
stories to suit your trolling needs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and
contents) gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year

Some tautologies:

1) For any element a, in a set S, a=a

2) Insurance companies are thieving *******s...

to £328 for a 2
bed bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason. I haven't
claimed
for more years than I can recall. Further they took my accidental cover
off me and gave me "sports insurance " - for bikes and equipment I don't
possess! Its RBS. Is something going on here?

Possibly bad timing? The thieving *******s need to recoup some of the
potential riot losses (where the *******s *do* actually pay out).

The initial mutterings were to load premiums only in the affected areas or
cities, but I bet they are adding a general loading too...

Haven't been able to get quotes off sites today as they either wouldn't
recognize my occupation, thought I was foreign ( despite my putting in I
was
born here) and in one case suggested a premium of £1029 ( I kid not!)

That's just a "**** off" quote, like when a plumber who's too busy says "100
to change a tap washer".

Keep trying - I find there's always one who is much better than the rest,
but you may need to phone a few companies too, who are not represented on
the online quoters.

Also, do not overlook brokers - you can get a good deal and they are very
helpful if you do want to talk English to something that is actually human.

Try these brokers if you have time: http://www.bridges-insurance.co.uk/

They don't always come up the best on price, but about half the time from me
(motor and house insurance) they have beaten the online quotes - and they
are very helpful if you need to ask actual questions... I'm off them at the
moment, but they will get a call next year for another chance (they were
just unlucky this year - seems to go in phases as every year the bloody
quotes are seemingly plucked out of a hat at random by *everyone*).

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

Or did and just leave a message banging on about patio doors, kitchen
fires, an automatic car, an inheritance and the OHs failure to get an
erection?

Most of that I may have accepted as a joke but the last 8 words are
uncalled for and frankly offensive.

You dont have to like me. You do have the choice of not answering me.
Nut to be rude about my OH who has done you no harm is unnecessary.

Why should I not take the **** out of your OH?

He has done you no harm . He has not upset you. It is just inappropriate.
Says a lot more about you than it does me if you have to do that really I
suppose.

When you are given nice polite advice from any poster you go on the
offensive and claim that it cannot be done. You lie and make up all your
stories to suit your trolling needs.

You can think or say what you like about me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 8:10*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
[...]

To be honest its a good idea to do that anyway, I'd do it if its
practical. If you then declare you have such locks to BS or EN
whatever, and youre burgled when one is unlcoked, your insurance won't
pay.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and
contents) gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year to £328 for a 2
bed bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason. I haven't
claimed for more years than I can recall. Further they took my accidental
cover off me and gave me "sports insurance " - for bikes and equipment I
don't possess! Its RBS. Is something going on here?

Haven't been able to get quotes off sites today as they either wouldn't
recognize my occupation, thought I was foreign ( despite my putting in I
was born here) and in one case suggested a premium of £1029 ( I kid not!)

If your situation is rural and at all unusual try NFU on 01954 210007.

They are not known to be the cheapest for everyone but can be very
reasonable for rural properties. The cover is also top notch, they paid our
claim with no quibble even suggesting things we had not thought of claiming
for.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 6:07*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and contents)
gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year * to £328 *for a 2
bed *bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason. * I haven't claimed
for more years than I can recall. *Further they took my accidental cover off
me and gave me "sports insurance " - for bikes and equipment I don't
possess! Its RBS. Is something going on here?

Haven't been able to get quotes off sites today as they either wouldn't
recognize my occupation, thought I was foreign ( despite my putting in I was
born here) *and in one case suggested a premium of £1029 ( I kid not!)

If you're shopping around, forget the brands that advertise on tv,
unless you want to pay a premium to pay for their ads.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 8:10 pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message

To be honest its a good idea to do that anyway, I'd do it if its
practical.

That is the problem. I asked OH a few weeks ago ( coincidentally ) about
locks and he said that our main front and back doors wont take a change of
lock ( they are non standard or something _ I am not sure but the doors came
with the house when we bought it, as did the locks). The one has a seven
lever mortice chubb lock apparently which is up to the new specification but
the other has a standard Yale deadlock which isnt acceptable it seems.

Neither the patio doors nor the French doors could have proper locks on
them, again because of construction. They do have locks and chains and even
bolts but not the spring bolts specified.

The windows have never had locks but I would defy anyone to get through any
of them. They are too small. If there was a fire we would almost certainly
be trapped here. I have known that for a number of years. You wouldnt even
get a head and shoulder through sideways. Unless they are taking to burgling
with two year old todlers like in Dickens time?

But the thing is, the house is no different, why then suddenly make a
condition that surely RBS know is unacceptable to meet in the time frame? I
assume they want rid of me? But I dont know why. As I said, its not as if I
have claimed and I have been with them a long time. Since there is always
someone in the house I would have thought I was a very good risk

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Then why not get back to the point in question and forget about your OHs
lack of a point?

Why do you not not use an insurance broker or even try one for a quote?

You can phone them or use the internet to get a quote. They need not be
local.

If I was an insurance broker I would not quote you for flood damage as
living in a house under a bridge has a big risk of flooding.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 8:50*pm, Tim Watts wrote:

The thieving *******s need to recoup some of the
potential riot losses (where the *******s *do* actually pay out).

The initial mutterings were to load premiums only in the affected areas or
cities, but I bet they are adding a general loading too...

I got the impression from news coverage that the insurance companies
were able to reclaim their payouts from the Police (i.e. the taxpayer,
ultimately) under the Riot Act, just as an uninsured member of the
public would be able to do. Is that incorrect?

Either way, I'm sure it wouldn't stop them putting up the premiums.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , sweetheart
wrote
Just a quick question really. Has house insurance ( buildings and
contents) gone up a lot or is it just mine?

I cannot work out why its gone up over £100 this year to £328 for a 2
bed bungalow , rural location, for seemingly no reason. I haven't
claimed for more years than I can recall. Further they took my
accidental cover off me and gave me "sports insurance " - for bikes and
equipment I don't possess! Its RBS. Is something going on here?

Haven't been able to get quotes off sites today as they either wouldn't
recognize my occupation, thought I was foreign ( despite my putting in
I was born here) and in one case suggested a premium of £1029 ( I kid
not!)

RBS in common with all insurance companies will quote a renewal of
around 30% more than last year because your introductory discount of 30%
is not valid for a second year. This is why you have to shop around
every year to get the "introductory" 30% discounts from another company.
My household insurance (buildings £0.5million and contents £35k) is
around £5 more this year than I paid 2 years ago.

Consider also if you need accidental damage as this can add
substantially to the price with some companies.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:35:58 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

Have you tried insurance broker ??

A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground
here.

Alexander Graham Bell must be turning in his grave.

--
Adam

Have you not heard of the internet? No one uses a phone these days!

And?

You you would have neither without AGB.

I wouldn't be so sure - the 'fax machine' came more than 10 years
before the telephone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fax#Wire_transmission

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
wrote
On 15/08/2011 18:55, Andy Cap wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:49:54 +0100, "sweetheart"hotmail.com wrote:

Try Aviva. They're not on the comparison sites.

Is that from experience or because you have seen it on TV?

From experience. I think they'll still give you an initial discount, so like
everyone else, the following year you have to check again, but this time I
decided to stay with them.

Have to say I'm well impressed with them; at least for motor
insurance... last year, with two teenage drivers on to my policy

Isn't that a recommendation to avoid them if you don't have high risk
drivers on the policy?

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Cap
saying something like:

From experience. I think they'll still give you an initial discount,

Yep. Cheap as chips on first going with them.

so like
everyone else, the following year you have to check again,

A 50% increase for year two.

but this time I
decided to stay with them.

Ditto; after some reduction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message

On Aug 15, 6:46 pm, "sweetheart" wrote:
Have you tried insurance broker ??
A bit like double glazing firms, not exactly thick on the ground here.

They are located in your nearest sizeable town, and may be 'rung up'
on the telephone.

My nearest sizeable town is thirty miles away. I did say I was rural...

That, in itself, will increase your premiums. Thefts in rural areas
are going up significantly.

a) they would have to find us first

Google Maps

b) There is always someone here - either me or OH or both.

Which means there is someone to tell an intruder where everything is kept.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 9:09*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

To be honest its a good idea to do that anyway, I'd do it if its
practical.

That is the problem. I asked OH *a few weeks ago ( coincidentally ) about
locks and he said that our main *front and back doors wont take a change of
lock ( they are non standard or something _ I am not sure but the doors came
with the house when we bought it, as did the locks). The one has a *seven
lever mortice chubb lock apparently which is up to the new specification but
the other has a standard Yale deadlock which isnt acceptable it seems.

Neither the patio doors nor the French doors could *have proper locks on
them, again because of construction. They do have locks and chains and even
bolts but not the spring bolts specified.

Might be worth showing us a pic of all the issueful locks.

The windows *have never had locks but I would defy anyone to get through any
of them. *They are too small. If there was a fire we would almost certainly
be trapped here. I have known that for a number of years. You wouldnt even
get a head and shoulder through sideways. Unless they are taking to burgling
with two year old todlers like in Dickens time?

right.

But the thing is, the house is no different, why then suddenly make a
condition that surely RBS know is unacceptable to meet in the time frame? I
assume they want rid of me? *But I dont know why. As I said, its not as if I
have claimed and I have been with them a long time. *Since there is always
someone in the house I would have thought I was a very good risk

I presume they realised this is a way to reduce their payouts, the
resulting risk will be less. But insisting will lose them a lot of
customers, I'd talk to them to see if they'll backtrack on that on the
ground that standard approved locks arent compatible, and the windows
are already unenterable anyway. If they wont, they've just screwed
their business model up.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2011 23:11, Alan wrote:
In message , Lobster
wrote
On 15/08/2011 18:55, Andy Cap wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:49:54 +0100, "sweetheart"hotmail.com wrote:

Try Aviva. They're not on the comparison sites.

Is that from experience or because you have seen it on TV?

From experience. I think they'll still give you an initial discount,
so like
everyone else, the following year you have to check again, but this
time I
decided to stay with them.

Have to say I'm well impressed with them; at least for motor
insurance... last year, with two teenage drivers on to my policy

Isn't that a recommendation to avoid them if you don't have high risk
drivers on the policy?

Don't follow your logic.

(FWIW, earlier this year I took out a new policy on our second vehicle -
Zafira driven only by a named middle-aged couple with no
claims/convictions, with no youngsters in sight, and in a low-risk area
- and got similar results from Aviva, who I went with again)

David

House insurance buzz Home Repair 9 July 1st 06 03:51 AM
House insurance m Ransley Home Repair 4 July 1st 06 03:37 AM
OT - house contents insurance 4square UK diy 5 June 3rd 06 07:15 PM
What Is The Difference Between Normal House Insurance and Sub-Standard Market Insurance? louie Home Ownership 1 July 24th 05 08:52 PM
Renovating a house - What insurance? Martin Carroll UK diy 21 July 20th 05 07:58 PM