Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Protecting (varnish) Wallpaper in Bathroom

I've got a wall in a bathroom to paper, paper is spongeable but not
vinyl. It will need protecting from moisture.

Googling finds decorators varish, available in gloss, satin and matt,
will probably go for matt or maybe satin.

Does anyone have experience of his stuff, I've never used it before
and don't want to wreck the customers wallpaper? Any "gotchas" to look
out for. I normally use Solvite (powder, not ready mix) for paper
hanging, is this ok?

I've found this (Polyvine Decorators Varnish):

http://www.polyvine.com/shop/show/va...%20varnishes/6

but maybe someone has other recommendations?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've got a wall in a bathroom to paper, paper is spongeable but not
vinyl. It will need protecting from moisture.

Googling finds decorators varish, available in gloss, satin and matt,
will probably go for matt or maybe satin.

Does anyone have experience of his stuff, I've never used it before
and don't want to wreck the customers wallpaper? Any "gotchas" to look
out for. I normally use Solvite (powder, not ready mix) for paper
hanging, is this ok?

I've found this (Polyvine Decorators Varnish):

http://www.polyvine.com/shop/show/va...%20varnishes/6

but maybe someone has other recommendations?

anyone?

We have got some Polyvine water based varnish. It's OK, but not as a)
tough and; b) hard-surfaced as another company's water based floor seal.

I've not heard of people varnishing wallpaper except in emulation of
Victorian techniques.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I've not tried it, but wallpaper in a bathroom sounds like madness to
me.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/11/2011 2:29 PM, NT wrote:

I've not tried it, but wallpaper in a bathroom sounds like madness to
me.

I've used heavy-duty _vinyl_ wall 'paper' in the bathroom. It's held up
very well over the years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've used vinyl wallpaper and non-vinyl in bathrooms. The non-plastic wallpaper, good quality wallpaper, lasted as long as I wanted it to before redecorating, more than ten years. With varnish designed for wallpaper, I would expect things to be fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The one in the link say "For interior emulsion wallpaper, fabric and
plaster work", so comparing it with a floor varnish is maybe unfair.

I'd not heard of varnishing wallpaper either until this customer
mentioned it, she's from Oz and apparently it's relatively common
there.

Protecting bathroom fan from attic cellulose insulation Alfred K. Home Repair 9 October 3rd 09 03:39 AM
Protecting woodchip wallpaper in a shower?? Steve W UK diy 5 September 30th 06 12:58 PM
Wallpaper borders in a bathroom Ray K Home Repair 17 May 23rd 06 08:53 PM
bathroom wallpaper mo Home Repair 2 April 3rd 06 11:44 PM
Wallpaper or Paint in bathroom Alex Home Repair 3 October 8th 04 10:48 PM