Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default How much harder is it to make a flat roof with a small slope?

I see them all the time - flat roofs that are completely level, and water
pools on the roof just waiting to get into the building. Why don't they get
built with a slight slope, maybe 1-2cms per metre? If that were done, the
worst of the water would run off rather than pooling and the roof would dry
out quickly once the rain stops.

Of course, that's harder to build, but how much harder? Is the main issue
packing out the joists so the roof slopes, or is there more to it than that?

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't, it
turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
I see them all the time - flat roofs that are completely level, and
water pools on the roof just waiting to get into the building. Why
don't they get built with a slight slope, maybe 1-2cms per metre? If
that were done, the worst of the water would run off rather than
pooling and the roof would dry out quickly once the rain stops.

Of course, that's harder to build, but how much harder? Is the main
issue packing out the joists so the roof slopes, or is there more to
it than that?

Hmmm.

Is this a wind up?

'flat' rooves are not flat, they already have this slope built into them,
and no, it's not hard to do, it's a taper - timber merchants will cut any
sized taper you want, up to 6m in length - these are placed one upon each
joist to achieve the fall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
I see them all the time - flat roofs that are completely level, and water
pools on the roof just waiting to get into the building. Why don't they get
built with a slight slope, maybe 1-2cms per metre? If that were done, the
worst of the water would run off rather than pooling and the roof would dry
out quickly once the rain stops.

Of course, that's harder to build, but how much harder? Is the main issue
packing out the joists so the roof slopes, or is there more to it than that?

I suspect because like my carpenters, the principles of trigonometry
escape them. They insisted on laying out the rafters for the 57 degree
pitched roof on the ground, and not trusting to sins coses and tans...

Bill: ere, how come this sheet of ply don't fit?
Alf: I told you that it doesn't work if it ain't flat.
Bill: so why dont we make it a bit bigger?
Alf: oh YES, but how MUCH bigger eh? That's rocket science, that is.
Trigernomettry. Not carpentry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I see them all the time - flat roofs that are completely level, and water
pools on the roof just waiting to get into the building. Why don't they get
built with a slight slope, maybe 1-2cms per metre? If that were done, the
worst of the water would run off rather than pooling and the roof would dry
out quickly once the rain stops.

Err they do ...

Of course, that's harder to build, but how much harder? Is the main issue
packing out the joists so the roof slopes, or is there more to it than that?

Search for "firring strips"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
I see them all the time - flat roofs that are completely level, and water
pools on the roof just waiting to get into the building. Why don't they get
built with a slight slope, maybe 1-2cms per metre? If that were done, the
worst of the water would run off rather than pooling and the roof would dry
out quickly once the rain stops.

Of course, that's harder to build, but how much harder? Is the main issue
packing out the joists so the roof slopes, or is there more to it than
that?

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

They usually are sloped. "Firring pieces" are attached to the roof joists to
achieve this. The roof drain may be blocked.
But flat roofs are bad news, you're right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I suspect because like my carpenters, the principles of trigonometry
escape them. They insisted on laying out the rafters for the 57 degree
pitched roof on the ground, and not trusting to sins coses and tans...

IMO, a physical check is so much easier than trying to get the maths
right. If I had a pound for every calculation where I try and be clever
with the maths, and fail, I could probably afford to emply an emmeritus
professor of trig!

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On Jul 20, 9:15*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/07/2011 19:49, GB wrote:

I see them all the time - flat roofs that are completely level, and water
pools on the roof just waiting to get into the building. Why don't they get
built with a slight slope, maybe 1-2cms per metre? If that were done, the
worst of the water would run off rather than pooling and the roof would dry
out quickly once the rain stops.

There's 2 sorts of 'flat roof':

1. Completely flat

The roof sides, and the deck itself, are tanked ie completely
waterproofed. The resulting ponding is deliberate part of the design
used to control temperature of the roofing. There may even be an
arrangement to flood the roof in drought conditions.

There some like this in SE London which you can look down on from the
west side of the line into Charing Cross from Tonbridge.

Of course, that's harder to build, but how much harder? Is the main issue
packing out the joists so the roof slopes, or is there more to it than that?

The term "flat roof" really should me a misnomer in the sense that while
they should be flat, they should not be level!

The minimum fall on a roof should be about 1 in 80. Typically achieved
by placing firings (i.e. tapered timbers) on top of the roof joists.

2. Standard 'flat'

These have a slope of at least 1 in 80, but IIRC Ruberoid recommend
(or certainly did 20 years back!) at least 1 in 40.

Apart from having to resist snow, rain & tempest, a flat roof can
become extremely hot in sunny weather with consequent risk of
warping. Another factor is that a really heavy fall of snow really is
*heavy*! My guess is that 1 in 80 is the minimum required when the
roof is new to allow for resulting distortions and avoid ponding after
a few years of the worst our weather can throw at it.

A 1 in 40 (about 2.5deg) deck doesn't sound much, but shows a
pronounced tilt when viewed sideways on. That can be difficult to
make look 'level' if required for aesthetic reasons, for instance on a
double garage roof sloping to the side rather than front to back, when
viewed from the road.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harryagain wrote:
But flat roofs are bad news, you're right.

They are, of course, sometimes unavoidable. Properly done, they are not
such bad news as most say.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
harryagain wrote:
But flat roofs are bad news, you're right.

They are, of course, sometimes unavoidable. Properly done, they are not
such bad news as most say.

They work OK when maintained.
They just don't last forever like tiles/slates do.
When they start to leak its often too late.
And they always start to leak when the weather makes repair difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
harryagain wrote:
But flat roofs are bad news, you're right.

They are, of course, sometimes unavoidable. Properly done, they are
not such bad news as most say.

Thanks all. The two I am thinking about are an extension roof done around 60
years ago and a garage roof done around 50 years ago. Maybe things were
different then, or maybe they were just done badly, but they both pond.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
They are, of course, sometimes unavoidable. Properly done, they are not
such bad news as most say.

They work OK when maintained.
They just don't last forever like tiles/slates do.

Nothing lasts forever. Pretty well every house round here has had a new
roof. Some were slate, some tiles.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
They are, of course, sometimes unavoidable. Properly done, they are not
such bad news as most say.

They work OK when maintained.
They just don't last forever like tiles/slates do.

Nothing lasts forever. Pretty well every house round here has had a new
roof. Some were slate, some tiles.

While they would have had five new flat roofs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 21, 10:08*am, jim wrote:

A 1 in 40 (about 2.5deg) deck doesn't sound much, but shows a
pronounced tilt when viewed sideways on. *That can be difficult to
make look 'level' if required for aesthetic reasons, for instance on a
double garage roof sloping to the side rather than front to back, when
viewed from the road.

That's just a poor job. It's not hard to keep the check kerb level and
hide the slope of the roof.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
Nothing lasts forever. Pretty well every house round here has had a new
roof. Some were slate, some tiles.

While they would have had five new flat roofs.

My flat roof is over 30 years old. The house isn't 150. And had been
re-roofed before I bought it - and had it subsequently re-done.

Plenty examples of traditional roofs being badly replaced. So in some ways
the same as a flat one - good workmanship and materials matter.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 19:51:54 +0100, "Phil L"
wrote:

'flat' rooves are not flat, they already have this slope built into them,
and no, it's not hard to do, it's a taper - timber merchants will cut any
sized taper you want, up to 6m in length - these are placed one upon each
joist to achieve the fall.

What my builder did last year. But the flat roof built on my dad's
extension c1963 was truly flat; with roofing felt hot tarred on and
solar chippings it was not very good but probably typical of the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 21, 1:39*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *dennis@home wrote:

Nothing lasts forever. Pretty well every house round here has had a new
roof. Some were slate, some tiles.

While they would have had five new flat roofs.

My flat roof is over 30 years old.

+1 same with our garage/car port roof.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On Jul 21, 12:32*pm, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On Jul 21, 10:08*am, jim wrote:

A 1 in 40 (about 2.5deg) deck doesn't sound much, but shows a
pronounced tilt when viewed sideways on. *That can be difficult to
make look 'level' if required for aesthetic reasons, for instance on a
double garage roof sloping to the side rather than front to back, when
viewed from the road.

That's just a poor job. It's not hard to keep the check kerb level and
hide the slope of the roof.

It would be most informative to see your design whch hides the slope
from all sides and keeps the roof line looking slim all round.

Yes you can hide it somewhat, but personally, I consider a step or
kerb at the front of a garage looks a ghastly fudge when seen from the
side. So often it just shows up flat roofing for what it is, a
cheapo job. OTOH you have cut your suit to suit the cloth...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
jim wrote:
Yes you can hide it somewhat, but personally, I consider a step or
kerb at the front of a garage looks a ghastly fudge when seen from the
side. So often it just shows up flat roofing for what it is, a
cheapo job. OTOH you have cut your suit to suit the cloth...

There are plenty of examples where a flat roof is the only option,
planning wise.

Of course if it is done as a 'cheap' job the results will be poor. Which
is true of everything. Including a conventional roof.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 21, 10:08*am, jim wrote:

A 1 in 40 (about 2.5deg) deck doesn't sound much, but shows a
pronounced tilt when viewed sideways on. *That can be difficult to
make look 'level' if required for aesthetic reasons, for instance on a
double garage roof sloping to the side rather than front to back, when
viewed from the road.

That's just a poor job. It's not hard to keep the check kerb level and
hide the slope of the roof.

It would be most informative to see your design whch hides the slope
from all sides and keeps the roof line looking slim all round.

See fig. 3 in http://www.wickes.co.uk/pcat/pcat/65roofing you see the
drip edge which is no more than a couple of inches and the fascia
which is as deep as it needs to be. Both are level when seen from all
3 sides of the roof except the side where the gutter is. If you want
to get really fancy you could have an internal gutter and have a
completely lavel appearance all round.

Yes you can hide it somewhat,

completely.

but personally, I consider a step or
kerb at the front of a garage looks a ghastly fudge when seen from the
side.

Where does the step come from?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2011 10:08, jim wrote:
On Jul 20, 9:15 pm, John wrote:
On 20/07/2011 19:49, GB wrote:

I see them all the time - flat roofs that are completely level, and water
pools on the roof just waiting to get into the building. Why don't they get
built with a slight slope, maybe 1-2cms per metre? If that were done, the
worst of the water would run off rather than pooling and the roof would dry
out quickly once the rain stops.

There's 2 sorts of 'flat roof':

1. Completely flat

The roof sides, and the deck itself, are tanked ie completely
waterproofed. The resulting ponding is deliberate part of the design
used to control temperature of the roofing. There may even be an
arrangement to flood the roof in drought conditions.

There some like this in SE London which you can look down on from the
west side of the line into Charing Cross from Tonbridge.

Yup common elsewhere in europe as well. It does require the tanking to
be "perfect" though.

Of course, that's harder to build, but how much harder? Is the main issue
packing out the joists so the roof slopes, or is there more to it than that?

The term "flat roof" really should me a misnomer in the sense that while
they should be flat, they should not be level!

The minimum fall on a roof should be about 1 in 80. Typically achieved
by placing firings (i.e. tapered timbers) on top of the roof joists.

2. Standard 'flat'

These have a slope of at least 1 in 80, but IIRC Ruberoid recommend
(or certainly did 20 years back!) at least 1 in 40.

In in 80 is the minimum fall as required by the building regs. In
practice a little steeper works better.

Apart from having to resist snow, rain& tempest, a flat roof can
become extremely hot in sunny weather with consequent risk of
warping. Another factor is that a really heavy fall of snow really is
*heavy*! My guess is that 1 in 80 is the minimum required when the
roof is new to allow for resulting distortions and avoid ponding after
a few years of the worst our weather can throw at it.

A 1 in 40 (about 2.5deg) deck doesn't sound much, but shows a
pronounced tilt when viewed sideways on. That can be difficult to
make look 'level' if required for aesthetic reasons, for instance on a
double garage roof sloping to the side rather than front to back, when
viewed from the road.

You can disguise the deck angle with the edge detail.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 21, 10:50*am, "GB" wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
* harryagain wrote:
But flat roofs are bad news, you're right.

They are, of course, sometimes unavoidable. Properly done, they are
not such bad news as most say.

Thanks all. The two I am thinking about are an extension roof done around 60
years ago and a garage roof done around 50 years ago. Maybe things were
different then, or maybe they were just done badly, but they both pond.

Firring stips already mentioned. The other way is to add an extra row
of bricks along the back. Now if you want a long lasting flattish
roof, add 3 or 4 rows of bricks, use asbestos replacement flat sheet
to roof it, then add roof tiles on top. That really lasts.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
Firring stips already mentioned. The other way is to add an extra row
of bricks along the back. Now if you want a long lasting flattish
roof, add 3 or 4 rows of bricks, use asbestos replacement flat sheet
to roof it, then add roof tiles on top. That really lasts.

Can you get tiles for such a gentle slope? I'd have thought rain could get
blown between them too easily.

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 12:53*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *NT wrote:

Firring stips already mentioned. The other way is to add an extra row
of bricks along the back. Now if you want a long lasting flattish
roof, add 3 or 4 rows of bricks, use asbestos replacement flat sheet
to roof it, then add roof tiles on top. That really lasts.

Can you get tiles for such a gentle slope? I'd have thought rain could get
blown between them too easily.

The point is to use ordinary roofing tiles. Rain does blow in, hence
the asbestos or similar underlayer. The asbestos (etc) solves the
issue of the tiles (rain gets blown in), and the tiles solve the issue
of the asbestos (fragility). Result is a shallow sloped roof that can
last a lifetime and looks ok.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
Can you get tiles for such a gentle slope? I'd have thought rain could
get blown between them too easily.

The point is to use ordinary roofing tiles. Rain does blow in, hence
the asbestos or similar underlayer. The asbestos (etc) solves the
issue of the tiles (rain gets blown in), and the tiles solve the issue
of the asbestos (fragility). Result is a shallow sloped roof that can
last a lifetime and looks ok.

But how do you waterproof the joints between the asbestos sheet - even if
you could get hold of it these days?

It's not normally the look of a flat roof that most object to - more its
life, if badly made.

--
*Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 3:26*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *NT wrote:

Can you get tiles for such a gentle slope? I'd have thought rain could
get blown between them too easily.

The point is to use ordinary roofing tiles. Rain does blow in, hence
the asbestos or similar underlayer. The asbestos (etc) solves the
issue of the tiles (rain gets blown in), and the tiles solve the issue
of the asbestos (fragility). Result is a shallow sloped roof that can
last a lifetime and looks ok.

But how do you waterproof the joints between the asbestos sheet

just overlap them. Underneath the tiles there's very little wind.

- even if
you could get hold of it these days?

modern asbestos-like sheet is fiberglass in cement

It's not normally the look of a flat roof that most object to - more its
life, if badly made.

hence this trick. Its not the cheapest way to do it in the short term,
but it does last.

NT

Best way to get a shallow slope on a flat roof David WE Roberts[_2_] UK diy 7 March 13th 10 12:42 AM
small flat roof leedsbob UK diy 3 November 14th 07 03:23 PM
Small flat roof Duncan Tuna Home Repair 5 December 1st 05 05:08 AM
Best stuff for sealing a small flat asphalt roof? Don Rojo UK diy 2 October 15th 04 10:19 PM
flat roof - slope for run off duncan UK diy 3 July 13th 03 03:55 PM