Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crimp, solder, both?

Just assembling my 12V battery cables for the camper.

External diameter of copper cable inner is around 5mm.
Internal diameter of connector (ring terminal) is nearly 8mm.
So not a tight fit.

I was intending to crimp - not sure now if I should cut a slot in the tube
to allow the connector to crimp down further or just flatten it out to get a
grip.
Looks as though it has been folded then welded/brazed shut so I would be
undoing this last bit.
As it isn't as snug as I was expecting I am now wondering if I should run
some solder in as well.
Just solder doesn't look as though it would give a secure enough joint - and
I've never soldered multi-strand wire this thick before.

Items are http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.u...55/category/32 item
070907
and
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.u...2/category/124 item 010601

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 4:46*pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
Just assembling my 12V battery cables for the camper.

External diameter of copper cable inner is around 5mm.
Internal diameter of connector (ring terminal) is nearly 8mm.
So not a tight fit.

I was intending to crimp - not sure now if I should cut a slot in the tube
to allow the connector to crimp down further or just flatten it out to get a
grip.
Looks as though it has been folded then welded/brazed shut so I would be
undoing this last bit.
As it isn't as snug as I was expecting I am now wondering if I should run
some solder in as well.
Just solder doesn't look as though it would give a secure enough joint - and
I've never soldered multi-strand wire this thick before.

Items arehttp://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/155/category/32item
070907
andhttp://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/752/category/124item 010601

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Step 1 - Buy the right terminal - one that fits closely.

With a fine multistrand cable like that, I would crimp (with the right
terminal, and a heavy duty tool), and possibly solder as well (if I
had a hefty enough soldering iron).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:46:53 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

You could sleeve the wire with a very short bit of 8mm "microbore"
copper pipe. The whole lot should crimp up better.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As it isn't as snug as I was expecting I am now wondering if I should run
some solder in as well.

With the right tool and matching crimp and cable a crimp connection
will almost always be more secure and reliable than a solder
connection. This is especially so if the joint is exposed to
vibration. Adding solder to a good crimp joint reduces its
reliability.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

As it isn't as snug as I was expecting I am now wondering if I should run
some solder in as well.

With the right tool and matching crimp and cable a crimp connection
will almost always be more secure and reliable than a solder
connection. This is especially so if the joint is exposed to
vibration. Adding solder to a good crimp joint reduces its
reliability.

Why should that be?. Not that you'd what to do both normally;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
With the right tool and matching crimp and cable a crimp connection
will almost always be more secure and reliable than a solder
connection. This is especially so if the joint is exposed to
vibration. Adding solder to a good crimp joint reduces its
reliability.

Why should that be?. Not that you'd what to do both normally;!...

Try making a solder connection to a terminal that can be crimped and a
second crimped one. Flex the wire until it breaks. The solder one will do
so much sooner.

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

As it isn't as snug as I was expecting I am now wondering if I should run
some solder in as well.

With the right tool and matching crimp and cable a crimp connection
will almost always be more secure and reliable than a solder
connection. This is especially so if the joint is exposed to
vibration. Adding solder to a good crimp joint reduces its
reliability.

Why should that be?. Not that you'd what to do both normally;!...

Hi Tony,

If you tin the wire first and then crimp, the solder has a habit of
creeping over time and loosening the joint.

If you solder to the crimp tag then you have a solid firm joint that
with vibration/movement may fracture.

With just a crimp there is a bit more flexibility at the junction of the
cable and crimp.

I'm sure someone will be along in a while to give a better explanation,
I have seen it discussed here before.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

As it isn't as snug as I was expecting I am now wondering if I should run
some solder in as well.

With the right tool and matching crimp and cable a crimp connection
will almost always be more secure and reliable than a solder
connection. This is especially so if the joint is exposed to
vibration. Adding solder to a good crimp joint reduces its
reliability.

Why should that be?. Not that you'd what to do both normally;!...

Reduced flexibility, individual strands are liable to break away

I remember there was a long discussion here years ago when {what was his
name who worked for the BBC and rode a bike} brought up the discussion
with regard to motorbike harnesses

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 14:28:04 +0100, tony sayer
wrote:

Why should that be?. Not that you'd what to do both normally;!...

Firstly, many solder joints are not well done, secondly the solder
wicks up the cable and creates a short rigid length of cable going
beyond the neck of the connector. The heat partially embrtittles the
cable and its insulated coating and the wire breaks more easily at
the "hard spot" at the sharp solder boundary. In addition the flux
can cause corrosion.

Almost the only reason for failure in crimp connectors is the use of
incorrect tools such as the silly pliers supplied with cheap crimp
kits. You even get some people trying to attach crimp joints using
pliers or wire cutters.

For high current (several hundred amp) cables it is usually better to
cut the wires to length and pay someone with the right hydraulic tools
to fit the terminations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
With the right tool and matching crimp and cable a crimp connection
will almost always be more secure and reliable than a solder
connection. This is especially so if the joint is exposed to
vibration. Adding solder to a good crimp joint reduces its
reliability.

Why should that be?. Not that you'd what to do both normally;!...

Try making a solder connection to a terminal that can be crimped and a
second crimped one. Flex the wire until it breaks. The solder one will do
so much sooner.

Who said anything about destructive testing;?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

[...]

Done both overt time and can't recall any failures..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

Why should that be?. Not that you'd what to do both normally;!...

Firstly, many solder joints are not well done, secondly the solder
wicks up the cable and creates a short rigid length of cable going
beyond the neck of the connector. The heat partially embrtittles the
cable and its insulated coating and the wire breaks more easily at
the "hard spot" at the sharp solder boundary. In addition the flux
can cause corrosion.

Cannot say I've ever seen that happen.. Unless you deliberately mistreat
joints..

Almost the only reason for failure in crimp connectors is the use of
incorrect tools such as the silly pliers supplied with cheap crimp
kits. You even get some people trying to attach crimp joints using
pliers or wire cutters.

Indeed as you get "iffy" soldered joints;!..

For high current (several hundred amp) cables it is usually better to
cut the wires to length and pay someone with the right hydraulic tools
to fit the terminations.

Yes a decent crimp like a decent soldered joint and I've seen enough bad
ones in my time!..

So the only failure is that the solder might creep up the cable and
cause a fracture, no other reason then?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Bill
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

[...]

He has it aright. Maybe you have done static installations. I've done a
lot of R/C and a fair bit of mobile kit. Yes, they can and do fail where
the solder stops.

the secret is to extend the support to the wire insulation upstream of
the joint in some way. Heatshrink, epoxy resin.... and if you must use
solder, use solder for the whole joint. Don't crimp soldered wire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
With the right tool and matching crimp and cable a crimp connection
will almost always be more secure and reliable than a solder
connection. This is especially so if the joint is exposed to
vibration. Adding solder to a good crimp joint reduces its
reliability.

Why should that be?. Not that you'd what to do both normally;!...

Try making a solder connection to a terminal that can be crimped and a
second crimped one. Flex the wire until it breaks. The solder one will do
so much sooner.

Who said anything about destructive testing;?..

I think Murphy usually does that bit post-installation !

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Got the wrong size crimps then? That sounds like 16mm2 cable to me, with
(probably) a 25mm2 lug. Filling them with solder is never really
satisfactory in the long term. It may be worth finding someone who will
donate a couple of smaller crimps & fit them with a proper crimping tool.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:

I remember there was a long discussion here years ago when {what was his
name who worked for the BBC and rode a bike} brought up the discussion
with regard to motorbike harnesses

Matthew Marks?
Worked for BBC and used to do our FAQ, but I don't know about the bike bit.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
geoff writes:

I remember there was a long discussion here years ago when {what was his
name who worked for the BBC and rode a bike} brought up the discussion
with regard to motorbike harnesses

Matthew Marks?
Worked for BBC and used to do our FAQ, but I don't know about the bike bit.

Thats him

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mick" wrote in message
b.com...
[...]

The link shows a 20mm^2 cable - so I assume it is this.
The other link offers connectors up to 16mm^2 and up to 25mm^2.
So for 20mm^2 I have to go for the 'up to 25mm^2'.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Bill
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

[...]

Mobile and static not aircraft tho;!. But apart from this solder wicking
effect which might cause a mech fail if the joint was pulled around
enough, don't seem to be any other failure mode does there?...

the secret is to extend the support to the wire insulation upstream of
the joint in some way. Heatshrink, epoxy resin.... and if you must use
solder, use solder for the whole joint. Don't crimp soldered wire

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David WE Roberts
scribeth thus

"mick" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

We used to use over size lugs on 40 kW TV 'mitters and they had to be
sort of crimped and soldered .. dunno know quite why except that the BBC
wanted them that way;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Mobile and static not aircraft tho;!. But apart from this solder wicking
effect which might cause a mech fail if the joint was pulled around
enough, don't seem to be any other failure mode does there?...

Soldering is obviously fine on connectors designed for it. But on cars and
in this case a camper, all the loom connectors are crimped. Of course on
such a large cable it may not make much difference in the end. Although
it's probably easier to make a reasonable solder joint than crimp, if you
don't have the correct crimping tool. Assuming you can solder. ;-)

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Bill
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Peter Parry
scribeth thus
wrote:

[...]

crimping soft solder is bad, because it has low elasticity. It ends up
progressively squashing under stress, getting loose and falling out.

the secret is to extend the support to the wire insulation upstream of
the joint in some way. Heatshrink, epoxy resin.... and if you must use
solder, use solder for the whole joint. Don't crimp soldered wire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Mobile and static not aircraft tho;!. But apart from this solder wicking
effect which might cause a mech fail if the joint was pulled around
enough, don't seem to be any other failure mode does there?...

Soldering is obviously fine on connectors designed for it. But on cars and
in this case a camper, all the loom connectors are crimped. Of course on
such a large cable it may not make much difference in the end. Although
it's probably easier to make a reasonable solder joint than crimp, if you
don't have the correct crimping tool. Assuming you can solder. ;-)

Cars are crimped because its cheaper than doing a proper supported
solder job. And its very good with automatic equipment. Soldering is a
more manual process.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
Mobile and static not aircraft tho;!. But apart from this solder wicking
effect which might cause a mech fail if the joint was pulled around
enough, don't seem to be any other failure mode does there?...

Soldering is obviously fine on connectors designed for it. But on cars
and
in this case a camper, all the loom connectors are crimped. Of course on
such a large cable it may not make much difference in the end. Although
it's probably easier to make a reasonable solder joint than crimp, if you
don't have the correct crimping tool. Assuming you can solder. ;-)

Cars are crimped because its cheaper than doing a proper supported solder
job. And its very good with automatic equipment. Soldering is a more
manual process.

They are crimped because it is more reliable in the environment.

I wonder if they solder the looms on aircraft?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cars are crimped because its cheaper than doing a proper supported
solder job. And its very good with automatic equipment. Soldering is a
more manual process.

Your computer is soldered by hand?

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 19, 12:44*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Cars are crimped because its cheaper than doing a proper supported
solder job. And its very good with automatic equipment. Soldering is a
more manual process.

Your computer is soldered by hand?

His keyboard clearly was. One hand, blindfold.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
[...]

That depends. The way I was taught in the 60's was to solder the loom
but absolutely to have a tie to tie the loom to the structure so it
couldn't flex with respect to the joint.

Crimps CAN be more reliable, but are prone to corrosion inside the crimp
itself.

As any car electrician can tell you.

I would say that solder is far more reliable than a mechanical
connection PROVIDED the strain relief is done properly. If it is not,
crimps are far more reliable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cars are crimped because its cheaper than doing a proper supported
solder job. And its very good with automatic equipment. Soldering is a
more manual process.

Your computer is soldered by hand?

Wires mostly are, yes.

That is,flexible cables.

Except of course they are not - we use the IDC which is a sort of crimp,
and ribbon cables.

I.e. making soldered wire looms is hard to do on automatic kit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Crimps CAN be more reliable, but are prone to corrosion inside the crimp
itself.

As any car electrician can tell you.

Only badly made ones. Properly done, they are airtight.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Crimps CAN be more reliable, but are prone to corrosion inside the crimp
itself.

As any car electrician can tell you.

Only badly made ones. Properly done, they are airtight.

Not on any typical car loom I have seen. Just look at the BT style of
crimp for telephone cables. Jelly filled, self amalg tape..and they
STILL fail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Mobile and static not aircraft tho;!. But apart from this solder wicking
effect which might cause a mech fail if the joint was pulled around
enough, don't seem to be any other failure mode does there?...

Soldering is obviously fine on connectors designed for it. But on cars and
in this case a camper, all the loom connectors are crimped.

Yes they don't solder those anymore too expensive to do..

Of course on
such a large cable it may not make much difference in the end. Although
it's probably easier to make a reasonable solder joint than crimp, if you
don't have the correct crimping tool. Assuming you can solder. ;-)

Yes had plenty of practice and crimping both are good if done well..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Crimps CAN be more reliable, but are prone to corrosion inside the crimp
itself.

As any car electrician can tell you.

Only badly made ones. Properly done, they are airtight.

Not on any typical car loom I have seen. Just look at the BT style of
crimp for telephone cables. Jelly filled, self amalg tape..and they
STILL fail.

I'd umm .. hardly call them crimps like the IDC connectors .. still
theres a hellva lot of them out there anyway...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mobile and static not aircraft tho;!. But apart from this solder wicking
effect which might cause a mech fail if the joint was pulled around
enough, don't seem to be any other failure mode does there?...

crimping soft solder is bad, because it has low elasticity. It ends up
progressively squashing under stress, getting loose and falling out.

Well yes but that depends how much solder there is in there...

the secret is to extend the support to the wire insulation upstream of
the joint in some way. Heatshrink, epoxy resin.... and if you must use
solder, use solder for the whole joint. Don't crimp soldered wire

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Crimps CAN be more reliable, but are prone to corrosion inside the crimp
itself.

As any car electrician can tell you.

Only badly made ones. Properly done, they are airtight.

Not on any typical car loom I have seen. Just look at the BT style of
crimp for telephone cables. Jelly filled, self amalg tape..and they
STILL fail.

The crimps used on car wiring are nearly always 'uninsulated' crimps
which I suspect are much less good at being airtight.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

crimping soft solder is bad, because it has low elasticity. It ends up
progressively squashing under stress, getting loose and falling out.

Right, so we are agreed that soldering ( tinning ) then crimping is bad.

But what about the reverse:
Crimping then soldering?

Strip the wire a tad longer than you might otherwise,
Crimp it normally, but there will be some short excess poking through
the crimp tunnel toward the eyelet.
Apply solder from that end such that it wicks back down toward the
tunnel entrance and around the base of the body. Not too much so that
it flows round the entire eyelet, or even makes an uneven surface for
the screw/washer that will go through the eyelet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:11:36 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Just look at the BT style of
crimp for telephone cables. Jelly filled, self amalg tape..and they
STILL fail.

Considering how many millions of those are in use the failure rate is
negligible. I'm not sure why one would ever waste time putting tape
over them as they work very reliably as they are. (Again assuming they
are assembled with the correct tooling - I've seen electricians using
girt big pliers to crush them flat).

There are no critical applications (aerospace, nautical,
communications or vehicle) where solder connectors are recommended
over crimp connectors. In most such applications solder connections
are prohibited.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
There are no critical applications (aerospace, nautical,
communications or vehicle) where solder connectors are recommended
over crimp connectors. In most such applications solder connections
are prohibited.

That supports what I've read and believe to be so.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:

crimping soft solder is bad, because it has low elasticity. It ends up
progressively squashing under stress, getting loose and falling out.

Right, so we are agreed that soldering ( tinning ) then crimping is bad.

But what about the reverse:
Crimping then soldering?

Strip the wire a tad longer than you might otherwise,
Crimp it normally, but there will be some short excess poking through
the crimp tunnel toward the eyelet.
Apply solder from that end such that it wicks back down toward the
tunnel entrance and around the base of the body. Not too much so that
it flows round the entire eyelet, or even makes an uneven surface for
the screw/washer that will go through the eyelet.

Apart from the creeping problem, soldering a joint raises the stress on
the wire where the solder finishes. That's where it fails under
vibration. It changes the failure mode from a (normally) gradual failure
inside the crimp connector to a relatively sudden failure a short
distance away from the connector.

In my experience, and suchlike......

--
Tciao for Now!