Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cantilevered garage

I've nearly finished my garage that I discussed recently.
There's no room to drive into the end of it, so I have made two huge
doors so that the end and most of one side open up.

Here's the garage with the doors shut:
http://i56.tinypic.com/io21w0.jpg

and with the doors open:
http://i55.tinypic.com/r8fb01.jpg

Here's the inside of the roof, which is held up by Douglas Fir:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2r5c1ef.jpg

That little post on the left does a really good job of holding the
roof up. I can hang off the roof and it scarcely deflects. The two
posts are one third cantilevers.

On the right you can see a bit of the wooden hinges that I made,
because I was under the impression that decent big hinges would cost a
lot. Then I discovered that they are cheap.
The two doors latch on to the spikes on the roof, in case we have a
hurricane. One spike not fitted yet.

The stringline on the roof is for the spouting yet to go on.

Total cost of garage, about GBP75 including paint. Most of the garage
was made from junk I had lying around in the way.
I'll paint the rest of the fence. The neighbour's house used to be
orange!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
I've nearly finished my garage that I discussed recently.
There's no room to drive into the end of it, so I have made two huge
doors so that the end and most of one side open up.

I see you have stiffened one with diagonal bracing. It might be as well
to do the other now before you have to lift to close.

Here's the garage with the doors shut:
http://i56.tinypic.com/io21w0.jpg

and with the doors open:
http://i55.tinypic.com/r8fb01.jpg

Here's the inside of the roof, which is held up by Douglas Fir:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2r5c1ef.jpg

That little post on the left does a really good job of holding the
roof up. I can hang off the roof and it scarcely deflects. The two
posts are one third cantilevers.

There is space to replace your post with a steel column concreted into
the ground and having a braced joist. Unless you start parking a box
van:-)

On the right you can see a bit of the wooden hinges that I made,
because I was under the impression that decent big hinges would cost a
lot. Then I discovered that they are cheap.
The two doors latch on to the spikes on the roof, in case we have a
hurricane. One spike not fitted yet.

The stringline on the roof is for the spouting yet to go on.

Total cost of garage, about GBP75 including paint. Most of the garage
was made from junk I had lying around in the way.
I'll paint the rest of the fence. The neighbour's house used to be
orange!

What the poets might call antipodean expediency.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 8:17 pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writesI've nearly finished my garage that I discussed recently.
There's no room to drive into the end of it, so I have made two huge
doors so that the end and most of one side open up.

I see you have stiffened one with diagonal bracing. It might be as well
to do the other now before you have to lift to close.

That's 12mm plywood on the door. Surely that is enough to hold it
square. I was a bit worried about weight, but the doors swing wery
well. The wind does catch them though so I'l have to have a hook to
hold them open.

Here's the garage with the doors shut:
http://i56.tinypic.com/io21w0.jpg

and with the doors open:
http://i55.tinypic.com/r8fb01.jpg

Here's the inside of the roof, which is held up by Douglas Fir:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2r5c1ef.jpg

That little post on the left does a really good job of holding the
roof up. I can hang off the roof and it scarcely deflects. The two
posts are one third cantilevers.

There is space to replace your post with a steel column concreted into
the ground and having a braced joist. Unless you start parking a box
van:-)

The post has a cross piece in the ground bolted to the bottom. I don't
believe anything could pull it out. The post was free, not like your
steel post and concrete. And it's working fine.

What the poets might call antipodean expediency.

If I can make something for nothing out of what I have lying around, I
will do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
[...]

Judging just from those pictures and without knowing any further details
I think I'd be rather more concerned with the possible consequences
of the roof blowing off in a high wind than with it falling on my
head. Failing that I'd maybe find the the address of an empty property
in the locality, print up up a phoney invoice for the timber with that
address written on it, and staple it to one of the cross members
in the roof.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 9:13 pm, "michael adams" wrote:

Judging just from those pictures and without knowing any further details
I think I'd be rather more concerned with the possible consequences
of the roof blowing off in a high wind than with it falling on my
head.

The roof is bolted to two posts on the right (which you probably can't
see) which are 150mm square and buried deep in the ground and attached
to three one metre high timber retaining walls. The other side of the
roof is bolted to five posts.
When the doors are shut they are very rigid, and will hold the roof
down.
Besides there are never any strong winds around here. It's very
sheltered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Matty F writes
I've nearly finished my garage that I discussed recently.
There's no room to drive into the end of it, so I have made two huge
doors so that the end and most of one side open up.

Nice job, thought the finishing in trellis work was a nice touch.

Curiously, the cantilever looks positively under-engineered compared to
your normal work ;-)

Total cost of garage, about GBP75 including paint. Most of the garage
was made from junk I had lying around in the way.
I'll paint the rest of the fence. The neighbour's house used to be
orange!

A true scratching DIYer at work compliment.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 9:13 pm, "michael adams" wrote:

Judging just from those pictures and without knowing any further details
I think I'd be rather more concerned with the possible consequences
of the roof blowing off in a high wind than with it falling on my
head.

The roof is bolted to two posts on the right (which you probably can't
see) which are 150mm square and buried deep in the ground and attached
to three one metre high timber retaining walls. The other side of the
roof is bolted to five posts.
When the doors are shut they are very rigid, and will hold the roof
down.
Besides there are never any strong winds around here. It's very
sheltered.

Fair enough, maybe I should have read your previous thread.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 9:53 pm, fred wrote:
In article
,
Matty F writesI've nearly finished my garage that I discussed recently.
There's no room to drive into the end of it, so I have made two huge
doors so that the end and most of one side open up.

Nice job, thought the finishing in trellis work was a nice touch.

I thought it would look rather bulky without the trellis.
Those two little bits of trellis were a third of the total cost.

Curiously, the cantilever looks positively under-engineered compared to
your normal work ;-)

Nobody has asked what the roofing and half of the walls are made of.
It's very lightweight, and free!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes

What the poets might call antipodean expediency.

If I can make something for nothing out of what I have lying around, I
will do that.

You should see my *possibles* pile. Big sort out soon as I am moving 3
workshops into 1!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
On Jul 16, 9:53 pm, fred wrote:
In article
,
Matty F writesI've nearly finished my
garage that I discussed recently.
There's no room to drive into the end of it, so I have made two huge
doors so that the end and most of one side open up.

Nice job, thought the finishing in trellis work was a nice touch.

I thought it would look rather bulky without the trellis.
Those two little bits of trellis were a third of the total cost.

Curiously, the cantilever looks positively under-engineered compared to
your normal work ;-)

Nobody has asked what the roofing and half of the walls are made of.
It's very lightweight, and free!

Go on then. Surprise us.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 1:19 am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writes

Nobody has asked what the roofing and half of the walls are made of.
It's very lightweight, and free!

Go on then. Surprise us.

These are guaranteed to stand up to UV for two years,
and indefinitely if I paint them!
http://i54.tinypic.com/jl48dh.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
On Jul 17, 1:19 am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writes

Nobody has asked what the roofing and half of the walls are made of.
It's very lightweight, and free!

Go on then. Surprise us.

These are guaranteed to stand up to UV for two years,
and indefinitely if I paint them!
http://i54.tinypic.com/jl48dh.jpg

You have been stealing road signs?

Dense polystyrene display boards? Don't walk on your roof!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 10:02 am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writes

These are guaranteed to stand up to UV for two years,
and indefinitely if I paint them!
http://i54.tinypic.com/jl48dh.jpg

You have been stealing road signs?

Dense polystyrene display boards? Don't walk on your roof!

Twin wall Polypropylene sheet. They cost about GBP25 each including
signage. I put them up at election time, and had about 35 old ones
that are of no use for anything else.
I had to walk on the roof in order to nail them on. No problem with a
couple of planks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Jul 17, 10:02 am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writes

These are guaranteed to stand up to UV for two years,
and indefinitely if I paint them!
http://i54.tinypic.com/jl48dh.jpg

You have been stealing road signs?

Dense polystyrene display boards? Don't walk on your roof!

Twin wall Polypropylene sheet. They cost about GBP25 each including
signage. I put them up at election time, and had about 35 old ones
that are of no use for anything else.
I had to walk on the roof in order to nail them on. No problem with a
couple of planks.

What do the neighbours think of all the advertising on the roof?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike wrote:
"Matty wrote in message
On Jul 17, 10:02 am, Tim wrote:
In message
,
Matty writes

These are guaranteed to stand up to UV for two years,
and indefinitely if I paint them!
http://i54.tinypic.com/jl48dh.jpg

You have been stealing road signs?

Dense polystyrene display boards? Don't walk on your roof!

Twin wall Polypropylene sheet. They cost about GBP25 each including
signage. I put them up at election time, and had about 35 old ones
that are of no use for anything else.
I had to walk on the roof in order to nail them on. No problem with a
couple of planks.

What do the neighbours think of all the advertising on the roof?

Mike

I suppose you don't get any snow in your part of the world? That would
soon bring your roof down.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 11:37 pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
MuddyMike wrote:

What do the neighbours think of all the advertising on the roof?

Mike

Green paint covers that very well.

I suppose you don't get any snow in your part of the world? That would
soon bring your roof down.

You are right, there's never any snow here.
Hailstones could do damage, but I have clear plastic roofing elsewhere
that has lasted 20 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:37:09 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:
I suppose you don't get any snow in your part of the world? That would
soon bring your roof down.

One of our cats is enough of a lard-arse that he'd bring that roof
down ;-)