Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Looking for jackable wheelstands for car

I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands so I wondered if
there are scissor types available where you drive the car over them,
then jack them up and insert a safety bolt or something. Any ideas
what to Google for? I tried a few terms, but Google just floods me
with everything under the sun (as per usual).

By the way, I only need these for the back of the car. (Yes, I know I
could jack the car up normally, then put axle stands underneath, but
modern cars often don't have anywhere safe to place the stands, hence
wheelstands should be safer.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands so I wondered if
there are scissor types available where you drive the car over them,
then jack them up and insert a safety bolt or something. Any ideas
what to Google for? I tried a few terms, but Google just floods me
with everything under the sun (as per usual).

By the way, I only need these for the back of the car. (Yes, I know I
could jack the car up normally, then put axle stands underneath, but
modern cars often don't have anywhere safe to place the stands, hence
wheelstands should be safer.)

MM

http://www.car-lift-cn.com/car-scissor-lift.html

but its going to be miles more expensive than ramps.

And

http://detail.en.china.cn/provide/de...089750271.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2011 19:23, MM wrote:
I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands so I wondered if
there are scissor types available where you drive the car over them,
then jack them up and insert a safety bolt or something. Any ideas
what to Google for? I tried a few terms, but Google just floods me
with everything under the sun (as per usual).

By the way, I only need these for the back of the car. (Yes, I know I
could jack the car up normally, then put axle stands underneath, but
modern cars often don't have anywhere safe to place the stands, hence
wheelstands should be safer.)

MM

Ramps are OK. If you are nervous, get a pair of the longer shallow angle
ones intended for sports cars. That said, a proper garage lift is on my
lottery list, together with the swimming pool...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands s

You still seem to be running away from answering the question of how
manyu children you have brought up. Surely an expert on childcare would
remember how many children they have?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Trigger
wrote

http://www.car-lift-cn.com/car-scissor-lift.html

Even someone without engineering knowledge can see that the legs will be
the first bit to collapse on that design, especially as a medium size
car is circa 1200 Kg and the car lift is rated at 350Kg (static load?)

It's not something that I would use to work UNDER a car.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:

I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands s

You still seem to be running away from answering the question of how
manyu children you have brought up. Surely an expert on childcare would
remember how many children they have?

FFS give it rest Firth!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message ...

I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands so I wondered if
there are scissor types available where you drive the car over them,
then jack them up and insert a safety bolt or something. Any ideas
what to Google for? I tried a few terms, but Google just floods me
with everything under the sun (as per usual).

http://tinyurl.com/642cqwn

http://www.cjautos.site90.net/newprod.html
CJ Autos (Heywood) Ltd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2011 07:23, Alan wrote:
In message , Trigger
wrote

http://www.car-lift-cn.com/car-scissor-lift.html

Even someone without engineering knowledge can see that the legs will be
the first bit to collapse on that design, especially as a medium size
car is circa 1200 Kg and the car lift is rated at 350Kg (static load?)

By the length and width, you'd be using two or four of these at a time.

Four at a time and each will be seeing only 1/4 of the total weight -
ignoring any weight differential between front and rear of the vehicle.

Two at a time, and it'll probably less, as lifting one end (or even one
side) of the car will transfer weight to the grounded end/side.

It's not something that I would use to work UNDER a car.

No. I'd not want to use them either, they just don't look right do they?
Although they are presumably designed and tested to well over the rated
load.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 07:23:14 +0100, Alan wrote:

http://www.car-lift-cn.com/car-scissor-lift.html

Even someone without engineering knowledge can see that the legs will be
the first bit to collapse on that design, especially as a medium size
car is circa 1200 Kg and the car lift is rated at 350Kg (static load?)

But each wheel won't have 1200kg on it just a fraction but I agree
the legs do look like bits of pressed steel. It will also need a
smooth surface for the legs to rest on as they will need to come
together as the lift rises and it appears to be pneumatic rather than
hydraulic.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

No. I'd not want to use them either, they just don't look right do they?
Although they are presumably designed and tested to well over the rated
load.

They only have a lift height of about 5", why would you bother. You can get
some wooden blocks and use a trolley jack to get that height. Cheaper and
safer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands so I wondered if
there are scissor types available where you drive the car over them,
then jack them up and insert a safety bolt or something. Any ideas
what to Google for? I tried a few terms, but Google just floods me
with everything under the sun (as per usual).

Well, you're still going to have to drive onto those - so what's the
difference? They'd also by nature be heavier than a fixed type - and
decent fixed types are already quite heavy/bulky. If you don't like
driving up the steep slope, ones with a more gradual one can be found.
If the problem is the car pushing them along, fix some rubber matting to
the bottom.

By the way, I only need these for the back of the car. (Yes, I know I
could jack the car up normally, then put axle stands underneath, but
modern cars often don't have anywhere safe to place the stands, hence
wheelstands should be safer.)

Generally anywhere near a suspension mount will be strong enough to take
the weight. Use some decent wood to protect things.

--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2011 22:23, Newshound wrote:

Ramps are OK. If you are nervous, get a pair of the longer shallow angle
ones intended for sports cars. That said, a proper garage lift is on my
lottery list, together with the swimming pool...

Visions of a car parked and floating haphazardly (air beds?) in the
middle of a swimming pool have swum into my head, dunno why...

'
'
'

Ah, has me alarm clock gone off yet?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan pretended :
In message , Trigger
wrote

http://www.car-lift-cn.com/car-scissor-lift.html

Even someone without engineering knowledge can see that the legs will be the
first bit to collapse on that design, especially as a medium size car is
circa 1200 Kg and the car lift is rated at 350Kg (static load?)

It's not something that I would use to work UNDER a car.

I think that lift, is intended to be a motorbike lift. It only shows
one, which would just lift one side of a car.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield wrote

I think that lift, is intended to be a motorbike lift.

And that's why its described as a car scissor lift

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:37:54 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
MM wrote:
I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands so I wondered if
there are scissor types available where you drive the car over them,
then jack them up and insert a safety bolt or something.

Well, you're still going to have to drive onto those - so what's the
difference?

By the way, I only need these for the back of the car. (Yes, I know I
could jack the car up normally, then put axle stands underneath, but
modern cars often don't have anywhere safe to place the stands, hence
wheelstands should be safer.)

Generally anywhere near a suspension mount will be strong enough to take
the weight. Use some decent wood to protect things.

Sods law could kick in as well, When you find the job you need to do
is easier or requires the wheels/hubs etc off then you still have to
support elsewhere anyway.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 7:23*pm, MM wrote:
I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands

I generally winch mine up with a horizontal cable winch or Tirfor,
rather than driving up. It's slower, easier to control, and certainly
much easier if you're working on your own.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Alan formulated :
In message , Harry
Bloomfield wrote

I think that lift, is intended to be a motorbike lift.

And that's why its described as a car scissor lift

Well it is a Chinese web site and we all know what Chinese instruction
leaflets are like, when translated lol

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

FFS give it rest Firth!

F**** off!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
It happens that Alan formulated :
In message , Harry
Bloomfield wrote

I think that lift, is intended to be a motorbike lift.

And that's why its described as a car scissor lift

Well it is a Chinese web site and we all know what Chinese instruction
leaflets are like, when translated lol

I don't like the Chinese; not after what they done to Pearl Harbour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trigger was thinking very hard :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
It happens that Alan formulated :
In message , Harry
Bloomfield wrote

I think that lift, is intended to be a motorbike lift.

And that's why its described as a car scissor lift

Well it is a Chinese web site and we all know what Chinese instruction
leaflets are like, when translated lol

I don't like the Chinese; not after what they done to Pearl Harbour.

I think that may have been the Japanese.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 22:23:00 +0100, Newshound
wrote:

On 16/07/2011 19:23, MM wrote:
I don't fancy driving the car onto fixed wheelstands so I wondered if
there are scissor types available where you drive the car over them,
then jack them up and insert a safety bolt or something. Any ideas
what to Google for? I tried a few terms, but Google just floods me
with everything under the sun (as per usual).

By the way, I only need these for the back of the car. (Yes, I know I
could jack the car up normally, then put axle stands underneath, but
modern cars often don't have anywhere safe to place the stands, hence
wheelstands should be safer.)

MM

Ramps are OK. If you are nervous, get a pair of the longer shallow angle
ones intended for sports cars. That said, a proper garage lift is on my
lottery list, together with the swimming pool...

In a previous house I had the luxury of a pit. Does one need planning
permission to dig one in the garage? Would it upset the 'balance' of
the house foundations?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011 09:49:43 +0100, "Periproct"
wrote:

http://www.cjautos.site90.net/newprod.html
CJ Autos (Heywood) Ltd

Especially these look very good! But the price, oh dear...

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 16/07/2011 19:23, MM wrote:
[...]

A mate of mine dug one, years ago, and three of us spent a lot of time
in there. This was a garage at the bottom of the garden (1970 estate in
Yate) so well away from house footings. The biggest single problem was
the amount of ground water which seeped in. He subsequently lined it
with some sort of rubber tanking compound which kept a lot of it out,
but we still needed to pump out the sump every time we used it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Trigger was thinking very hard :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
It happens that Alan formulated :
In message , Harry
Bloomfield wrote

I think that lift, is intended to be a motorbike lift.

And that's why its described as a car scissor lift

Well it is a Chinese web site and we all know what Chinese
instruction leaflets are like, when translated lol

I don't like the Chinese; not after what they done to Pearl Harbour.

I think that may have been the Japanese.

Caused by the Merkins?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Trigger"
saying something like:

I don't like the Chinese; not after what they done to Pearl Harbour.

Who was she?