Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default VSO Projects

I have just been proof reading a book for an author who has written a
bio of his experiences of working oversees on VSO projects.

(It an hoot if he ever put it on line I#ll add a linkl.)

What I asked him to do is write a book of projects for training others
to go in his stead, simple stuff like Pythagoras technique for
squaring corners for example and building with local materials (stone
and clay footing would you believe?)

But he is old and was planning a book of more of the local stuff. So I
asked if I could start it. The thing is, I will run out of ideas. Any
chance of some help. I don't want British building code rules and
stuff, just ideas about sheds for school rooms for people who have
walked 10 miles and have no money for food let alone equipment.

I really would like suggestions of low cost techniques.

I#ll get his permission to post a few extracts of the book he wrote so
you can see what I mean.

Be kind to me I am not that profient at other trades.
TIA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't want British building code rules and
stuff, just ideas about sheds for school rooms for people who have
walked 10 miles and have no money for food let alone equipment.

I'm sorry if this is an unhelpful comment but building regulations do
exist in places such as Uganda, Ethiopia and Rwanda. The level of
compliance may not be as high as here (let alone as in Germany,
Switzerland etc). But some (many?) NGOs may wish to comply with the
local codes - especially for schools.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 18, 3:32*pm, Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

I have travelle dextensively in third world countries. These are
problems ave seen first hand.

Well digging. Irrigation. Drains. Dam construction.
Simple building techniques using local materials..
Hygene. (Personal & Don't **** in your drinking water sort of thing)
Elementary first aid.
Family planning.
Horticulture.