waterproofing a flat concrete roof

Old July 12th 11, 11:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default waterproofing a flat concrete roof

Hi All

ex council house outside store roof 100mm thick concrete area about 4m x 3
metres

has rasied front and sides (a lip about 25mm high)

Never been felted

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

any recommendations

Regards

Old July 13th 11, 07:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote:
Hi All

ex council house outside store roof 100mm thick concrete area about 4m x 3 metres

has rasied front and sides (a lip about 25mm high)

Never been felted

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

any recommendations

Regards

Is there any provision for the rainwater to drain off or does it just
puddle up and stay trapped?
is there a fall?

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Old July 13th 11, 08:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dean Heighington" wrote in message
"TMC" wrote:
Hi All

ex council house outside store roof 100mm thick concrete area about 4m x
3 metres

has rasied front and sides (a lip about 25mm high)

Never been felted

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

any recommendations

Regards

Is there any provision for the rainwater to drain off or does it just
puddle up and stay trapped?
is there a fall?

--

yep slight fall to the back with gutter and downpipe

Regards

Old July 13th 11, 08:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

any recommendations

The usual solution in places like Italy where flat concrete roofs are
normal is to lay a waterproof screed on the roof. This requires the roof
to be clean and dry before you start.

http://www.izonil.com/uk/improver.html

For example.

Old July 13th 11, 09:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2011 23:38, TMC wrote:
ex council house outside store roof 100mm thick concrete area about 4m x
3 metres

has rasied front and sides (a lip about 25mm high)

Never been felted

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

Sounds identical to one I did myself once. IIRC I used bitumen paint as
a cheapo solution, as I knew I'd be selling the place not long afterwards.

Seemed to do the job well enough; I can't vouch for it's longevity but
think if I'd been intending on keeping the property for a long time I'd
have chosen something more durable. Indeed, the purchaser's surveyor
flagged it as a future maintenance issue.

David
Old July 13th 11, 11:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 12, 11:38 pm, "TMC" wrote:
Hi All

ex council house outside store roof 100mm thick concrete area about 4m x 3
metres

has rasied front and sides (a lip about 25mm high)

Never been felted

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

any recommendations

Regards

epoxy paint - garage floor styley? can't see any +'s to "Fibrous" in
that scenario?

Jim K
Old July 13th 11, 02:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
On 12/07/2011 23:38, TMC wrote:
ex council house outside store roof 100mm thick concrete area about 4m x
3 metres

has rasied front and sides (a lip about 25mm high)

Never been felted

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

Sounds identical to one I did myself once. IIRC I used bitumen paint as
a cheapo solution, as I knew I'd be selling the place not long afterwards.

Seemed to do the job well enough; I can't vouch for it's longevity but
think if I'd been intending on keeping the property for a long time I'd
have chosen something more durable. Indeed, the purchaser's surveyor
flagged it as a future maintenance issue.

David

yeah. Concrete itself is pretty impervious, depending on the grade.

Anything that soaks in a bit of a plasticky or tarry nature will improve
it immensely.

Probably one of those render waterproofers will do.

Old July 13th 11, 04:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
On 12/07/2011 23:38, TMC wrote:
[...]

good thoughts I will investigate further as I think that the problem is a
crack in the concrete

Old July 13th 11, 05:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:
Hi All

ex council house outside store roof 100mm thick concrete area about
4m x 3 metres

has rasied front and sides (a lip about 25mm high)

Never been felted

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

any recommendations

Regards

having atempted all of the suggestions in this thread over the past thirty
years, I have found only one solution and that is to use a product called
'cromapol'

http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/...nCoatings.html

I've done a few concrete rooves with this and had no problems at all, it's
expensive, because it works.

Don't bother with anything available from B&Q et al, they also have
expensive sealants, but none of them work on cracked concrete

It's available in black, white and grey

Old July 13th 11, 07:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote:
Hi All

ex council house outside store roof 100mm thick concrete area about 4m x 3 metres

has rasied front and sides (a lip about 25mm high)

Never been felted

Looking at the fibrous paints or other low cost solution

any recommendations

Regards

Is there any provision for the rainwater to drain off or does it just
puddle up and stay trapped?
is there a fall?

-- yep slight fall to the back with gutter and downpipe

Regards

Having read all the other posts since my reply this am, I would also
recommend the cromapol product or there's another called aquapol, I
think... Check out JJ Roofing supplies or Wedge roofing, but again, it's
not cheap- about £90 a tin retail, £60 trade. For a cheaper way of
remedying it as a trial.... If you can find the crack get a tube of Sika
Flex
http://m.screwfix.com/details.htm?id=79250
and use that to fill the joint, it's great stuff.

Hth
Deano