Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to put up a curtain pole in this situation

I'm trying to figure out the best way to put a curtain pole up in my
daughters flat in her bedroom. Basically as she is on the top floor with the
rood slanting as it does it doesn't have the usual 3" clearance at the end
of both ends as it blocked by some kind of triangular block. I'm no expert
at describing as you can tell was the worst description ever made.

I'm trying to figure out what the best option of fitting a curtain
pole/fitting up is ? given the restrictions.

obviously I have to get it close to the edge otherwise light and cold will
seep through.

Suggestions greatly received

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete wrote:
I'm trying to figure out the best way to put a curtain pole up in my
daughters flat in her bedroom. Basically as she is on the top floor with
the rood slanting as it does it doesn't have the usual 3" clearance at
the end of both ends as it blocked by some kind of triangular block. I'm
no expert at describing as you can tell was the worst description ever
made.

I'm trying to figure out what the best option of fitting a curtain
pole/fitting up is ? given the restrictions.

obviously I have to get it close to the edge otherwise light and cold
will seep through.

Suggestions greatly received

If its a question of there not being enough lateral space its easy

put the mounting brackets in from the end, about an inch and the last
curtain run outside the bracket. That serves to anchor the outside
curtain edge at the very limit of the pole

Ive got all my upstairs ones done that way because all are in alcoves
only as wide as the window frame
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete wrote:
[...]

hello np

thanks for the post

would that not leave aa gap on the ends for light to creep through ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:06:54 +0100, Pete wrote:

Pete wrote:
[...]

No, put the last curtain ring (or two) OUTSIDE the bracket. The curtain
will hang from that then, right to the end of the pole.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:06:54 +0100, Pete wrote:

would that not leave aa gap on the ends for light to creep through ?

I thought the black out ended years ago. B-)

With the bracket spaced a little in from the end of the rod and the
first ring fitted between the wall and the bracket it's as good as it
going to get.

If you want to retain the finials on the rod then you have little
option but to have a gap down the sides roughly the width of the
finials.

If your daughter really must have blackout conditions then perhaps a
roller blind that runs in channels down each side is a solution, with
the pole and curtains on the room side to make it less stark.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Pete
escribió:

would that not leave aa gap on the ends for light to creep through ?

I've just put up a pole exactly in the way TNP described, in a square
bay with the window filling the bay, and used eyelet-top curtains with
the end eyelet on the wall side of the bracket. Looks good and no light
leakage.

The pole came with finials which I didn't use, just cutting the pole so
it filled the bay wall-to-wall.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:06:54 +0100, Pete wrote:

would that not leave aa gap on the ends for light to creep through ?

I thought the black out ended years ago. B-)

Hehe she works nights as a SHO at Guys and sleeps during the day and has
turned a little sensitive to the days. I guess the bodies nocturnal settings
have been disrupted.

With the bracket spaced a little in from the end of the rod and the
first ring fitted between the wall and the bracket it's as good as it
going to get.

I see what you mean now, I had in my head about the finals not going on etc.
But I guess its not all going to fit. I think I should ask her if she'd
prefer a blackout blind as you suggested would be a better fit and be nice
and dark for her.

If you want to retain the finials on the rod then you have little
option but to have a gap down the sides roughly the width of the
finials.

If your daughter really must have blackout conditions then perhaps a
roller blind that runs in channels down each side is a solution, with
the pole and curtains on the room side to make it less stark.

Thanks Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 July, 23:31, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:06:54 +0100, Pete wrote:
would that not leave aa gap on the ends for light to creep through ?

I thought the black out ended years ago. *B-)

With the bracket spaced a little in from the end of the rod and the
first ring fitted between the wall and the bracket it's as good as it
going to get.

If you want to retain the finials on the rod then you have little
option but to have a gap down the sides roughly the width of the
finials.

If your daughter really must have blackout conditions then perhaps a
roller blind that runs in channels down each side is a solution, with
the pole and curtains on the room side to make it less stark.

Curtains lined with a blackout interliner can be just as effective.
Provided there is a decent "bunch" left at the side of the window when
the curtains are closed, that seals the light.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:30:18 +0100, Pete wrote:

I thought the black out ended years ago. B-)

Hehe she works nights as a SHO at Guys and sleeps during the day and has
turned a little sensitive to the days.

Fair enough. A little bit of daylight doesn't bother me but I know
that some people can't sleep unless the room is pitch black. How they
get by when traveling long distances I don't know...

Might be the time of year, I sometimes get woken by the dawn before
0500 at this time of year, I check the time roll over and go back to
sleep. I find mid winter awful when it doesn't even think about
getting light until gone 0800.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yep. Cant remember the overall material width for a pair of curtains
spanning X, but I think its supposed to be at least 1.5X, and 2-2.5X is
better. Ask a drapers or interior designer. Its 'common knowledge'

Interlining and lining massively increases opacity. I am not convinced
that colour plays much part.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:30:18 +0100, Pete wrote:

I thought the black out ended years ago. B-)

Hehe she works nights as a SHO at Guys and sleeps during the day and has
turned a little sensitive to the days.

Fair enough. A little bit of daylight doesn't bother me but I know
that some people can't sleep unless the room is pitch black. How they
get by when traveling long distances I don't know...

Its a little weird how some need pitch black. I can sleep with the sun
shinning in my eyes .. Some years back when she went back packing after
university she must have been a barrel of laughs come sleep time. Her
brother has taken after me and can sleep sitting up while pretending to
listen to hsi mum/ my wife lol. I've taught him well.

Might be the time of year, I sometimes get woken by the dawn before
0500 at this time of year, I check the time roll over and go back to
sleep. I find mid winter awful when it doesn't even think about
getting light until gone 0800.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:31:58 +0100, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 23:06:54 +0100, Pete wrote:

would that not leave aa gap on the ends for light to creep through ?

I thought the black out ended years ago. B-)

With the bracket spaced a little in from the end of the rod and the
first ring fitted between the wall and the bracket it's as good as it
going to get.

If you want to retain the finials on the rod then you have little
option but to have a gap down the sides roughly the width of the
finials.

If your daughter really must have blackout conditions then perhaps a
roller blind that runs in channels down each side is a solution, with
the pole and curtains on the room side to make it less stark.

Agreed strongly about blinds with a blackout material lining. But how
about roman blinds? That is what we have just recently done and they work
brilliantly.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:30:18 +0100, "Pete" wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...

[...]

Despite trying various solutions I've still not managed to find a
reasonable blackout solution that still allows me to have some air
circulation (ie a window open). Can't stand a stuffy bedroom, that'll
just as easily wake me up as the light,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-07-14, wrote:

Despite trying various solutions I've still not managed to find a
reasonable blackout solution that still allows me to have some air
circulation (ie a window open). Can't stand a stuffy bedroom, that'll
just as easily wake me up as the light,

Eyeshades (we're still using up our stock of BA ones). And have the window
open. S'what we do.

I have a stock of those eyeshades, too - including a few from free
upgrades to Club Class. Very handy, they are.