Dealing with height on ladders.

Old July 6th 11, 11:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dealing with height on ladders.

I really need to paint the soffit board and sort some guttering problem is
:-

A. Cant really afford a pro and I am capable of doing the work.
B. beyond around 10 feet I am crap on a ladder, even if I got higher I would
be hanging on rather than doing anything.

Ideally I would like to get the work done this summer although could
probably wait til next year.

Anyone else got this `fear` of height/ladders and how did you overcome it. I
just done feel safe or comfortable 20 feet up. Is there a better type
ladder I could use thinking it may be cheaper to buy something, use it, then
sell on ebay.

It is more working from a ladder than the height (I think) as I am currently
painting the window above the front porch, it has a steep roof but I can
access from the bedroom window, I just tie a rope around the bed hang it out
and use that as a comfort thing. Strange thing is I cannot access the porch
roof from a ladder, I tried and just got scared and backed off.

Any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated.
thanks

Old July 6th 11, 11:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I would sense if you are afraid of heights, which is a pretty sensible
response IMO, or as Clarkson said "it's not speed that's the problem,
it's hitting something hard and coming to a stop quickly is the
problem", then how about hiring a scaffolding tower if you are
determined to do it yourself? If you want to really go for it,
rawlbolt some anchor points in the wall and get a harness - but that
will restrict movement, you need to make sure the fixing is *really*
secure. When you add up costs find out how much two days of a
painter's time will cost and spend your time on something else IMO

clive
Old July 6th 11, 11:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
I really need to paint the soffit board and sort some guttering
problem is :-

A. Cant really afford a pro and I am capable of doing the work.
B. beyond around 10 feet I am crap on a ladder, even if I got higher
I would be hanging on rather than doing anything.

Ideally I would like to get the work done this summer although could
probably wait til next year.

Anyone else got this `fear` of height/ladders and how did you
overcome it. I just done feel safe or comfortable 20 feet up. Is
there a better type ladder I could use thinking it may be cheaper to
buy something, use it, then sell on ebay.

Once you have got a good ladder you will want to keep it.

I never really overcame my fear of hights, I am however a lot more confident
than I used to be. Maybe just practice did it for me. Although I still
cannot work out how some people are able to just walk off a ladder onto a
roof and make it look as easy as walking through a door.

It is more working from a ladder than the height (I think) as I am
currently painting the window above the front porch, it has a steep
roof but I can access from the bedroom window, I just tie a rope
around the bed hang it out and use that as a comfort thing. Strange
thing is I cannot access the porch roof from a ladder, I tried and
just got scared and backed off.
Any thoughts or ideas on this would be appreciated.
thanks

As John pointed out you can secure the ladder to the wall with an eyelet.

--
Adam

Old July 6th 11, 11:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message
I really need to paint the soffit board and sort some guttering problem is
:-

A. Cant really afford a pro and I am capable of doing the work.
B. beyond around 10 feet I am crap on a ladder, even if I got higher I
would be hanging on rather than doing anything.

Ideally I would like to get the work done this summer although could
probably wait til next year.

Anyone else got this `fear` of height/ladders and how did you overcome it.
I just done feel safe or comfortable 20 feet up. Is there a better type
ladder I could use thinking it may be cheaper to buy something, use it,
then sell on ebay.

I don't have a fear of heights, just of the ladder "falling off" the wall.

Show me a fully secured ladder and I will happily climb it. Show me an
unsecured one and I feel anxious about half way up.

Getting to the top the first time to secure it is really difficult :-(

tim

Old July 6th 11, 11:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-07-06, ARWadsworth wrote:
SS wrote:
I really need to paint the soffit board and sort some guttering
problem is :-

A. Cant really afford a pro and I am capable of doing the work.
B. beyond around 10 feet I am crap on a ladder, even if I got higher
I would be hanging on rather than doing anything.

Ideally I would like to get the work done this summer although could
probably wait til next year.

Anyone else got this `fear` of height/ladders and how did you
overcome it. I just done feel safe or comfortable 20 feet up. Is
there a better type ladder I could use thinking it may be cheaper to
buy something, use it, then sell on ebay.

Once you have got a good ladder you will want to keep it.

I never really overcame my fear of hights, I am however a lot more
confident than I used to be.

What he said. Except "height" rather than "hight" (which means to
name or call something in Old English).

Maybe just practice did it for me. Although I still
cannot work out how some people are able to just walk off a ladder
onto a roof and make it look as easy as walking through a door.

Me neither. I won't work on anything above gutter height.

Brown underpants also help:-)

--
Adam

Old July 6th 11, 12:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message
[...]

Get a man in. A chap I knew was doing the very same thing, he fell off and
the funeral followed.

Old July 6th 11, 12:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Getting to the top the first time to secure it is really difficult :-(

TO say nothing of drilling holes and fixing eyes.

Your height threshold increases by about a metre per day IME. I thought
I'd never get beyond the gutter, but after a week of painting a semi I
got up to the apex, so I now feel comfortable at that height, but not
beyond.
Old July 6th 11, 12:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
[...]

I bought a scaffold tower and even than I wasn't happy till I had laced
it to the window frame, and built a wood platform that abutted the house
wall.

It wasn't too bad after that.

Also if using ladders get a stand-off thing so you don't have to bend
backwards to actually paint overhangs.

Scaffold tower is currently at mates house where he used it to rebuild
a bay window 'roof'...

Old July 6th 11, 12:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... wrote:
"SS" wrote in message
[...]

It's like climbing a rock face as 'leader' to get to the belay point.
Frankly, I'll be tail end charlie every time. Then I only get to fall a
foot or two.

Old July 6th 11, 12:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om, brass
monkey scribeth thus

"SS" wrote in message
[...]

Well I avoided the funeral but a month in hospital with a coma c/w
fractured skull and broken femur and some ongoing pains after all
that;!...

Wasn't the ladders fault.. it was what it was tied and supported by that
gave way .. long storey.

I reckon that if the OP isn't or doesn't feel confident then don't do it
Either a hydraulic platform if possible or well secured tower or get
someone in.

I am used to very tall structures and still climb those, differing fall
arrest systems, but am now that bit more wary of ladders. Used to use
'em every day years ago up on rooftops etc but I suppose once
bitten;!...

However some very good advice coming up here especially re securing as
this I believe is where it usually goes wrong with gutters and suchlike
the -sideways- slide..

So if you can get a fix or something like supports that go out either
side of the ladder and a stand off system?..

But if you don't feel happy .. then don't go up there...
--
Tony Sayer

Working at height without ladders John Stumbles UK diy 15 October 12th 09 06:45 PM
Inside dealing? [email protected] Home Ownership 17 April 21st 08 06:54 PM
Dealing with Illegals Ted Home Repair 58 December 12th 07 10:47 AM
OT(ish) dealing with DIY injuries John Rumm UK diy 20 July 24th 07 12:53 AM
OT Dealing with a nuisance dog Rex B Metalworking 170 January 26th 05 11:32 PM