Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Energy Saving Gadgets

Hi,

I'm a bit of a gadget freak, and over the last couple of years have
become interested in Energy Saving gadgets. I just bought a TreeGreen
energy egg from Tesco, and it's probably the best one I have bought
so far.

Does anyone else have or can anyone suggest other effective energy
saving gadgets?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 11:06*am, Steven Smith wrote:
I just bought a TreeGreen
energy egg from Tesco, and it's probably the best one I have bought
so far.

how much was it? It just seems to be a pir that controls a relay
adaptor. Nothing really new about that technology just clever
packaging. The only thing that would seem patentable is the fact it
doesn't automatically power devices on when you re-enter the room.

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A not very effective advertising campaign? (First ever posts to Usenet
by this email address. Same puffy wording in posts elsewhere.) If this
is part of a course at City of Glasgow College I think you need to work
harder

The description of the product is also IMHO close to misleading when it
states "one button wirelessly switches ON or OFF appliances in a room or
around your entire home." Possibly true but does not make clear extra
sockets would need to be bought, that it will only control 12 sockets,
and - for the rich folk with big houses - the range is 20m (and I wonder
if that's delivered through stone).

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Smith wrote:
Hi,

I'm a bit of a gadget freak, and over the last couple of years have
become interested in Energy Saving gadgets. I just bought a TreeGreen
energy egg from Tesco, and it's probably the best one I have bought
so far.

Does anyone else have or can anyone suggest other effective energy
saving gadgets?

I agree with Huge. What a pointless, wanky stupid idea. All of my
appliances have "off" switches. When I leave a room I switch them off.
Unlike the stupid device I can predict how long I will be away and decide
if it is better to switch something off or not.

May I suggest that you fit your device to your computer then leave the
room?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
A not very effective advertising campaign? (First ever posts to Usenet by
this email address. Same puffy wording in posts elsewhere.) If this is
part of a course at City of Glasgow College I think you need to work harder

Bingo.

http://www.strath.ac.uk/eee/news/alu...ysavingdevice/

which leads to:

http://www.treegreen.net/index.php

which is registered by:

Registrant:
TreeGreen Limited brian o reilly
15 park way
cumbernauld, cumbernauld G67 2BT
GB

Domain name: TREEGREEN.NET

Administrative Contact:
brian o reilly, brian o reilly
15 park way
cumbernauld, cumbernauld G67 2BT
GB
+44.8709220699 Fax: +44.1332864161

What's the betting that Brian O'Reilly and "ssmith1162" are the same person?
)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2011 14:33, Gill Bates wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Quote:
"He got the idea for the Energy EGG after being ‘driven to distraction’
by his three young daughters continually leaving on games consoles, TVs
and stereos when they had finished using them and the impact this was
having on ever-increasing energy bills."

What, I wonder, are his three young daughters going to have to say when
they are getting to the end of the latest level of their latest game on
their games console and pause it to go to the loo only to come back and
find that that Daddy's device has pulled the plug. Not shut down and
saved all their scores but just pulled the plug on it. Domestic harmony
- NOT.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2011 11:06, Steven Smith wrote:
Hi,

I'm a bit of a gadget freak, and over the last couple of years have
become interested in Energy Saving gadgets. I just bought a TreeGreen
energy egg from Tesco, and it's probably the best one I have bought
so far.

Does anyone else have or can anyone suggest other effective energy
saving gadgets?

I must admit I am having difficulties thinking what electrical products
this would work with.

A table lamp maybe.

A computer, most definitely not. I want my computer shut down and not
have the power whisked from under it. Besides I often leave the room
while it is downloading the latest Linux distribution or other large
file and would like to leave it to it.

Television, similarly not. If I leave the room to make a cup of tea
during the adverts then I want it still on when I get back.

Kitchen appliances, nope. If I set the toaster running I want it to
finish what it is doing and popup when it has finished whether I am in
the kitchen or not. Ditto the kettle.

So, what could I use it for?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:

What, I wonder, are his three young daughters going to have to say when
they are getting to the end of the latest level of their latest game on
their games console and pause it to go to the loo only to come back and
find that that Daddy's device has pulled the plug. Not shut down and
saved all their scores but just pulled the plug on it. Domestic harmony
- NOT.

They'll learn the valuable advice in the old saying "Save early, save often" !

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
[...]

impressing the neighbours?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
A not very effective advertising campaign? (First ever posts to Usenet by
this email address. Same puffy wording in posts elsewhere.) If this is
part of a course at City of Glasgow College I think you need to work harder

The description of the product is also IMHO close to misleading when it
states "one button wirelessly switches ON or OFF appliances in a room or
around your entire home." Possibly true but does not make clear extra
sockets would need to be bought, that it will only control 12 sockets,
and - for the rich folk with big houses - the range is 20m (and I wonder
if that's delivered through stone).

Why would it need to travel through stone?

What possible reason could you have for wanting to turn off appliances in
room A if you leave room B?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
Television, similarly not. If I leave the room to make a cup of tea
during the adverts then I want it still on when I get back.

Kitchen appliances, nope. If I set the toaster running I want it to
finish what it is doing and popup when it has finished whether I am in
the kitchen or not. Ditto the kettle.

The delay time is settable between 5 and 30 mins, so turning off the TV
after 30 mins is rather more sensible than 3. You don't leave the kettle
and the toaster on for long periods, and they don't suggest using it for
them.

But their estimates of average power consumption of devices seem rather
high:
http://www.treegreen.net/Calculator.php

60W for an inkjet printer (when not printing)? 250W for a TV? (Plasma or
CRT perhaps, but not LCD). 250W for a PC in idle mode? 1.2KW average for
an iron (it has a thermostat).

For things like irons and hair straighteners I can see a point from a safety
point of view (straighteners in particular being something of a fire hazard
if left in contact with clothes or carpet). But essentially such devices
should be better designed in the first place.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

For things like irons and hair straighteners I can see a point from a safety
point of view (straighteners in particular being something of a fire hazard
if left in contact with clothes or carpet). But essentially such devices
should be better designed in the first place.

For things such as this I'd recommend a count-down timer, they're
quite difficult to find but they *are* available. I have half a dozen
or so around the house for things such as:-

Soldering iron
Heater in the study
etc.

It's a godsend for the soldering iron in particular, for that I have a
countdown timer that has settings of 20 minutes, 40 minutes and an
hour. It's rarely that I want the iron on for more (and you only have
to hit the button again) and, on the other hand, leaving it on is
dangerous and ruins the bit.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Television, similarly not. If I leave the room to make a cup of tea
during the adverts then I want it still on when I get back.

Kitchen appliances, nope. If I set the toaster running I want it to
finish what it is doing and popup when it has finished whether I am in
the kitchen or not. Ditto the kettle.

The delay time is settable between 5 and 30 mins, so turning off the TV
after 30 mins is rather more sensible than 3. You don't leave the kettle
and the toaster on for long periods, and they don't suggest using it for
them.

But their estimates of average power consumption of devices seem rather
high:
http://www.treegreen.net/Calculator.php

60W for an inkjet printer (when not printing)? 250W for a TV? (Plasma or
CRT perhaps, but not LCD).

there is almost no difference in power between CRT and LCD actually.

Since te way of making the light is similar in both cases .

well all the figures are bull****.

For things like irons and hair straighteners I can see a point from a safety
point of view (straighteners in particular being something of a fire hazard
if left in contact with clothes or carpet). But essentially such devices
should be better designed in the first place.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/11 11:06, Steven Smith wrote:
Hi,

I'm a bit of a gadget freak, and over the last couple of years have
become interested in Energy Saving gadgets. I just bought a TreeGreen
energy egg from Tesco, and it's probably the best one I have bought
so far.

Does anyone else have or can anyone suggest other effective energy
saving gadgets?

old bicycle innertube
tied between door and wall
to automatcially shut doors.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09 Jul 2011 13:52:54 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Andrew May wrote:
Television, similarly not. If I leave the room to make a cup of tea
during the adverts then I want it still on when I get back.

Kitchen appliances, nope. If I set the toaster running I want it to
finish what it is doing and popup when it has finished whether I am in
the kitchen or not. Ditto the kettle.

The delay time is settable between 5 and 30 mins, so turning off the TV
after 30 mins is rather more sensible than 3. You don't leave the kettle
and the toaster on for long periods, and they don't suggest using it for
them.

So, by not having one of these devices, I can switch unnecessary
appliances off well before 5 minutes have elapsed. Therefore I save
more power by /not/ having one.

And I'll bet they switch off everything when you /are/ in the room
like those lighting systems in public loos that plunge you into pitch
darkess mid ****.
--
(\__/) M.