Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi Specials

They have some quite interesting stuff on the 7th of this month.

Diamond core drill with bits and pieces for 29.99
Right angle drill adaptor for 4.99
17 piece SDS drill and chisel set 9.99

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...Thursday11.htm

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 16:53:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

They have some quite interesting stuff on the 7th of this month.

Diamond core drill with bits and pieces for 29.99

But they don't tell you the sizes of the core drills in the set. IIRC
the last time the largest wasn't big enough by a mm or three to take
a standard 110mm waste pipe...

And for those of us who live in real houses with real walls:

Heavy-duty Masonry Drill Bit Set £9. 99
1000mm 12, 16 & 24mm SDS
or
600mm 10, 12, 16 & 25mm SDS

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Right angle drill adaptor for 4.99
17 piece SDS drill and chisel set 9.99

Sad as I am I've put a reminder in my phone to pop down there :-) Ta
for the tipoff Dave.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 4, 4:53*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
They have some quite interesting stuff on the 7th of this month.

Diamond core drill with bits and pieces for 29.99

After all the hype on here, I succumbed to some Aldi diamond disks.
They are crap. I spent hours hacking away at some concrete with a
(then new) big grinder, which I then replaced with a decent Marcrist
blade. Cutting was at least 10 times as quick. Probably a bit
cheaper per amount cut going the Aldi route, but life really is much
too short especially with all that noise and dust around.

Their digi calipers on the other hand are a fine bargain, so that
isn't to dismiss all of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Bolted wrote:
On Jul 4, 4:53 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
They have some quite interesting stuff on the 7th of this month.

Diamond core drill with bits and pieces for 29.99

After all the hype on here, I succumbed to some Aldi diamond disks.
They are crap. I spent hours hacking away at some concrete with a
(then new) big grinder, which I then replaced with a decent Marcrist
blade. Cutting was at least 10 times as quick. Probably a bit
cheaper per amount cut going the Aldi route, but life really is much
too short especially with all that noise and dust around.

Their digi calipers on the other hand are a fine bargain, so that
isn't to dismiss all of it.

I don't use Aldi much, but Lidl refund your money without question
provided you have the receipt.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:05:04 -0700 (PDT), Bolted wrote:

On Jul 4, 4:53*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
They have some quite interesting stuff on the 7th of this month.

Diamond core drill with bits and pieces for 29.99

After all the hype on here, I succumbed to some Aldi diamond disks.
They are crap. I spent hours hacking away at some concrete with a
(then new) big grinder, which I then replaced with a decent Marcrist
blade. Cutting was at least 10 times as quick. Probably a bit
cheaper per amount cut going the Aldi route, but life really is much
too short especially with all that noise and dust around.

Their digi calipers on the other hand are a fine bargain, so that
isn't to dismiss all of it.

The caliper is the best tool I've bought recently. No more looking for the
+3 specs to read a vernier scale, so I use it a lot more.
The cell doesn't last all that long so I've just had half a dozen from
7DayShop so that I don't run out at a crucial moment.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
The caliper is the best tool I've bought recently. No more looking for the
+3 specs to read a vernier scale, so I use it a lot more.
The cell doesn't last all that long so I've just had half a dozen from
7DayShop so that I don't run out at a crucial moment.

That sounds like poor design. I've had a digital one for ages (not Lidl or
Aldi) which gets heavy use and I've yet to change the battery. Although I
do usually remember to switch it off after use.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2011 08:32, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 15:05:04 -0700 (PDT), Bolted wrote:

The caliper is the best tool I've bought recently. No more looking for the
+3 specs to read a vernier scale, so I use it a lot more.
The cell doesn't last all that long so I've just had half a dozen from
7DayShop so that I don't run out at a crucial moment.

I bought one from Lidl a while ago - which is fine *except* that it gets
its units conversion wrong! MM are fine, but switch to inches and it
gives the wrong reading - by a significant amount!

Might be worth checking yours in case Aldi and Lidl use the same source.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 19:33:02 +0100, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

xxx
Their digi calipers on the other hand are a fine bargain, so that
isn't to dismiss all of it.

The caliper is the best tool I've bought recently. No more looking for the
+3 specs to read a vernier scale, so I use it a lot more.
The cell doesn't last all that long so I've just had half a dozen from
7DayShop so that I don't run out at a crucial moment.

someone here said its a fault with the box,
you need to cut some foam away
then it wont turn the thing on in the box
(or something like that)
[g]

Interesting. I've never noticed it on when opening the box, but it does have
auto-off.
I'll trim a bit of foam away to see if it makes any difference.

BTW, by "doesn't last all that long" I mean several months and perhaps used
about 30 - 40 times, but nowadays displays shouldn't drain a cell in that
time.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:41:00 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
The caliper is the best tool I've bought recently. No more looking for the
+3 specs to read a vernier scale, so I use it a lot more.
The cell doesn't last all that long so I've just had half a dozen from
7DayShop so that I don't run out at a crucial moment.

That sounds like poor design. I've had a digital one for ages (not Lidl or
Aldi) which gets heavy use and I've yet to change the battery. Although I
do usually remember to switch it off after use.

Some of the cheapies only blank the display when they 'shut down' A
few go a bit further and put the processor into sleep mode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 4, 11:49*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *Bolted wrote:

On Jul 4, 4:53 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
They have some quite interesting stuff on the 7th of this month.

Diamond core drill with bits and pieces for 29.99

After all the hype on here, I succumbed to some Aldi diamond disks.
They are crap. *I spent hours hacking away at some concrete with a
(then new) big grinder, which I then replaced with a decent Marcrist
blade. *Cutting was at least 10 times as quick. *Probably a bit
cheaper per amount cut going the Aldi route, but life really is much
too short especially with all that noise and dust around.

I don't use Aldi much, but Lidl refund your money without question
provided you have the receipt.

They work, so I would not feel justified in asking for my money back.
It's just that they just work about as well as their price implies,
rather than being a bargain with equivalent performance to something
which costs more. I'd rather pay more (even if it is quite a lot more)
for something better and in particular much more quick cutting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Bolted wrote:
After all the hype on here, I succumbed to some Aldi diamond disks.
They are crap. I spent hours hacking away at some concrete with a
(then new) big grinder, which I then replaced with a decent Marcrist
blade. Cutting was at least 10 times as quick. Probably a bit
cheaper per amount cut going the Aldi route, but life really is much
too short especially with all that noise and dust around.

I don't use Aldi much, but Lidl refund your money without question
provided you have the receipt.

They work, so I would not feel justified in asking for my money back.
It's just that they just work about as well as their price implies,
rather than being a bargain with equivalent performance to something
which costs more. I'd rather pay more (even if it is quite a lot more)
for something better and in particular much more quick cutting.

I'd guess there are grades of diamond discs for various cutting jobs. Are
you sure they are the correct ones for the task you're using them for?

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 1:26*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *Bolted wrote:

[...]

Yes - hard materials. They are just crap compared to a proper trade
quality blade.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
They have some quite interesting stuff on the 7th of this month.

Diamond core drill with bits and pieces for 29.99
Right angle drill adaptor for 4.99
17 piece SDS drill and chisel set 9.99

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...Thursday11.htm

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Picked up a diamond core set today

Looks OK but then I don't have much experience of these

will need to use it a few weeks

Will keep the recipt handy just in case

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 20:17:43 +0100, TMC wrote:

Picked up a diamond core set today

Bah! I knew there was somewhere else I wanted to go to today but got
distracted by the car breaking down, knackered injector I think. B-(

Looks OK but then I don't have much experience of these

What size are the cores? The web site doesn't say.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 20:17:43 +0100, TMC wrote:

Picked up a diamond core set today

Bah! I knew there was somewhere else I wanted to go to today but got
distracted by the car breaking down, knackered injector I think. B-(

Looks OK but then I don't have much experience of these

What size are the cores? The web site doesn't say.

107 x 150 52x150 28 x 300

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 21:55:13 +0100, TMC wrote:

What size are the cores? The web site doesn't say.

107 x 150 52x150 28 x 300

Thanks, I thought so the largest is too small for 110mm pipe...

Be OK for 100mm ventilation ducting though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 21:55:13 +0100, TMC wrote:

What size are the cores? The web site doesn't say.

107 x 150 52x150 28 x 300

Thanks, I thought so the largest is too small for 110mm pipe...

Be OK for 100mm ventilation ducting though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Yep it was for ventilation pipe that I bought it along with sink waste and
some electric cabling