Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old TV arials - now obsolete?

Are rooftop TV arials now all obsolete, what with digital TV, satellite TV,
etc? I don't watch TV myself, but I am renovating the exterior of my house
and wondered if I can remove the old TV Arials without any likelihood of
their being missed in the future. Or do people receive digital TV signals
via old arials? The arials in question were erected in the early 1990s, I
believe.

Thank you.
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2011 21:12, AL_n wrote:
[...] do people receive digital TV signals via old arials?

Yes, very much so. In most (but not all) areas old aerials are (or will
be) fine after the digital switchover. Even when the 'main' TV is on
Sky or cable many people will need a terrestrial aerial feed for their
other TVs.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
Are rooftop TV arials now all obsolete, what with digital TV, satellite TV,
etc? I don't watch TV myself, but I am renovating the exterior of my house
and wondered if I can remove the old TV Arials without any likelihood of
their being missed in the future. Or do people receive digital TV signals
via old arials? The arials in question were erected in the early 1990s, I
believe.

Not at all - digital terrestrial TV (Freeview) uses the same aerials as
analogue TV. As long as the aerials are in good condition, big enough,
and the correct group, they are still useful.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 9:12*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
Are rooftop TV arials now all obsolete, what with digital TV, satellite TV,
etc? I don't watch TV myself, but I am renovating the exterior of my house
and wondered if I can remove the old TV Arials without any likelihood of
their being missed in the future. Or do people receive digital TV signals
via old arials? The arials in question were erected in the early 1990s, I
believe.

Thank you.
Al

Depends what transmit frequencies are being sued for digital in your
area, some areas are using different frequencies, and new aerials will
be needed; others are using the same frequencies, and it is unlikely
that a new aerial will be needed. For example my TV signal comes from
Rowridge IoW, my 1980s aerial works fine now and will continue to do
so after swirchover.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Jul 2011 20:12:00 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Are rooftop TV arials now all obsolete, what with digital TV, satellite TV,
etc? I don't watch TV myself, but I am renovating the exterior of my house
and wondered if I can remove the old TV Arials without any likelihood of
their being missed in the future. Or do people receive digital TV signals
via old arials? The arials in question were erected in the early 1990s, I
believe.

Thank you.
Al

I wouldn't think a missing TV aerial would reduce the value of your
property, unless your council is as useless and thick as Stoke's where
they have been known to ban outside aerials in a poor reception area.

Personally I would leave an aerial up, it will probably be o/k for a
digital signal anyway and if someone wants to replace it in the future
it is less likely that a local action group will be formed to protest
about modifying the landscape, causing cancer, attracting aliens etc
etc.

HN

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message
Are rooftop TV arials now all obsolete, what with digital TV, satellite
TV,
etc? I don't watch TV myself, but I am renovating the exterior of my house
and wondered if I can remove the old TV Arials without any likelihood of
their being missed in the future. Or do people receive digital TV signals
via old arials? The arials in question were erected in the early 1990s, I
believe.

They certainly aren't obsolete. However after twenty years corrosion of the
aerial and degradation of the coax means that they are overdue for
replacement. Any brackets and fitting are likely to be corroded and weak.
Removing them will make the place look more tidy.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Crosland" wrote in
o.uk:

They certainly aren't obsolete.

Thanks to all for clarifying the situation. I'll leave it in situ then.

Al

replacing tv cables and arials Arthur2 UK diy 25 January 17th 08 10:49 AM
Obsolete? (commentary) Woodworking 8 June 1st 07 06:41 AM
Obsolete? (commentary) Woodworking 2 May 24th 07 10:29 PM
NEED Obsolete H.O.T 2SD1873 Sparkey Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 05 04:28 AM
Need source for obsolete MCB Andrew Gabriel UK diy 1 October 15th 04 12:47 PM