Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wolf power tools - any good?

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..

I recall that we used to use machine tools that could barely repeat to
within 10 thousands of an inch to try to make things to within a couple of
thou!
Then along came a "Process Capability" campaign. First of all challenging
whether some limits were really necessary and then embarking on some
serious machine tool maintenance and replacement.

People who take Brand names as an indicator of something need to look
carefully. Really you can only buy on "features" now as stuff is specified
now to have a certain life - like it or not.

That’s not accurate with stainless steel cutlery etc etc etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 04:53:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That¢s not accurate with stainless steel cutlery etc etc etc.

You disagree, AGAIN, you auto-contradicting abnormal senile cretin? LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 17:42:48 -0000, "Mark" wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
pdirect.com,
zeek wrote:
25y ago things were made to last. No like nowadays when you happy that
they last a warranty period

Think you'll find it was a lot longer than 25 years ago that Wolf ceased
to exist.

And you might just find out the proportion of an average weekly income it
took to buy one.

Most days I get an email offering Wolf branded something.

I still have a Wolf elec drill that belonged to my f-in-law must be over
60years old
solid alloy body and still working ok

That was then, this is now. Wolf - like so many other brands - isn't
what it once was. Probably made in China now with none of the original
quality assurance the name was once associated with.

--

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 10:40:40 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Yes indeed, many of the brands I grew up with are just names. It first
starts with getting the stuff made abroad, then the company finds
financial issues and sells out or goes to the wall. Then if the name is
not wanted by the new company it becomes a commodity in itself.
Wharfdale, Alba, Goodmans, Bush, Murphy, indeed most of the older names
are
like that.

Bush (the name) is now owned by ... Argos!

The fridge we inherited has a label:

Technology by Bush
Service by Argos

It's rubbish. The best service Argos could provide is to take it away.

(and it's almost certainly a whitelabel actually made by someone else)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 22:11:09 +0000, Theo wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 10:40:40 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Yes indeed, many of the brands I grew up with are just names. It
first starts with getting the stuff made abroad, then the company
finds financial issues and sells out or goes to the wall. Then if the
name is not wanted by the new company it becomes a commodity in
itself.
Wharfdale, Alba, Goodmans, Bush, Murphy, indeed most of the older
names are
like that.

Bush (the name) is now owned by ... Argos!

The fridge we inherited has a label:

Technology by Bush Service by Argos

It's rubbish. The best service Argos could provide is to take it away.

(and it's almost certainly a whitelabel actually made by someone else)

Oh, it is. We have one (purchased in an emergency back during the first
lockdown)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 12:55:16 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 07/03/2021 10:40, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Wharfdale, Alba, Goodmans, Bush, Murphy, indeed most of the older names are
like that.

Karrimor used to be a famous Yorkshire based manufacturer of
outdoor wear and equipment. The brand now seems to appear on
cheap crap made in the far east.

I still have a Karrimor rucsack from the late '60s. It's decidedly tatty but
I keep it as it has an L-frame. I can strap quite large items to it, using
the sack as padding, to carry them home.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Power problems and how to find a good electrician? maddening UK diy 13 October 10th 03 02:18 PM
Fake labelled Power Tools StealthUK UK diy 3 September 12th 03 10:37 PM
FS 240v Professional Power Tools jerrybuilt UK diy 1 August 21st 03 07:21 PM
Wolf tools Simon Avery UK diy 1 August 7th 03 12:43 PM
Online ordering of power tools? BigWallop UK diy 9 August 5th 03 01:53 PM