How to adjust PVC door hinges (pictures)

Old June 20th 11, 06:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to adjust PVC door hinges (pictures)

SS wrote:

Does anyone know how I can adjust these hinges on a PVC door (dropping at
the latch side)

I hope the links work.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...20Dates/h1.jpg

This one looks off center..

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...0Dates/h11.jpg

The hinge is deliberately made with an eccentric pin. By rotating
the plastic wheel (and hence the pin) using the screwdriver slot,
you can get some degree of adjustment. When you replace the
plastic cap, which should have a couple of pegs on the underside,
it stops the wheel from rotating in normal use.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old June 20th 11, 08:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

Does anyone know how I can adjust these hinges on a PVC door
(dropping at the latch side)

I hope the links work.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...20Dates/h1.jpg

This one looks off center..

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...0Dates/h11.jpg

The hinge is deliberately made with an eccentric pin. By rotating
the plastic wheel (and hence the pin) using the screwdriver slot,
you can get some degree of adjustment. When you replace the
plastic cap, which should have a couple of pegs on the underside,
it stops the wheel from rotating in normal use.

+1

Be careful to try and adjust them all evenly. It looks like one is
different to the others, so I'd reset all of them, then back out again
a notch at a time. This stops the door or frame moving as much. I know
they're not supposed to 'much', but UPVC doors do experience thermal
expansion and in our school I have to adjust them every season, it
seems.

One problem is they're usually delivered as a pre-set door/frameset to
a building site and some builders just whack them in any old how, not
caring if they're hung well or true, so it might be worth making up a
plumb line to check the verticals and a spirit level for horizontals
and make a decent job of it.

OTOH, a lot of the time it's suck it and see, a twiddle here, a twiddle
there and job's a good 'un .. .

--
Paul - xxx
Old June 20th 11, 09:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

[...]

My uPVC front door (which is the typical type with a frame with a 'sandwich'
filler of part glass and part moulded plastic) occasionally drops slightly
and catches at the bottom. I have found that this has nothing to do with the
hinges - but is the frame itself slipping out of shape (In effect the top
and bottom of the door frame start to slope down slightly). If I bend down
and grip the underneath of the door at the latch end and heave up, this puts
the frame back into shape and the door no longer catches. I perhaps have to
do this once or twice a year.

When I refer to the door 'frame' in this context - I am not talking about
the frame into which the door fits - but rather the outer frame of the door
itself, into which is fitted the moulded insert.

--
Kev

Old June 20th 11, 10:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Ret. wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

[...]

That's interesting, never come across this yet, but I can see how it
might happen .. and we may have a door with exactly this symptom where
everything's plumb and square but it still 'drops' and catches on the
bottom edge occasionally, however the hinges are set. I'll give it a
try next time, cheers.

--
Paul - xxx
Old June 20th 11, 02:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul - xxx wrote:
Ret. wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

[...]

You're welcome!

--
Kev
Old June 20th 11, 09:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ret." wrote in message
m...
Paul - xxx wrote:
Ret. wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

[...]

I managed to adjust the the hinges which gave me an improvement but the door
is still catching slightly on the latch side.
--
Kev

Old June 20th 11, 10:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
"Ret." wrote in message
m...
Paul - xxx wrote:
Ret. wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

[...]

If your door is of the same type as mine - ie having a frame like a window -
but having a moulded insert instead of a sheet of double glazing - then try
my suggestion. Just bend down and place both hands under the door at the
latch end and heave upwards (not too hard or you might lift the door off its
hinges!). You should hear a 'creak' as the door frame readjusts itself - and
you then may find that the door no longer catches.

--
Kev

Old June 20th 11, 10:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ret." wrote in message
.com...
SS wrote:
"Ret." wrote in message
m...
Paul - xxx wrote:
Ret. wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

[...]

Link below is the door it has glass but not full size. If you look at the
top of the frame it appears off the square.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ates/door1.jpg

And this is where it is catching..

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ates/door3.jpg

Old June 21st 11, 10:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
"Ret." wrote in message
.com...
SS wrote:
"Ret." wrote in message
m...
Paul - xxx wrote:
Ret. wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

[...]

OK - mine catches at the bottom when the door frame 'slumps' slightly.
Clearly your problem is not the same as mine! Sorry.

--
Kev

Old June 21st 11, 10:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ret." wrote in message
m...
SS wrote:
"Ret." wrote in message
.com...
SS wrote:
"Ret." wrote in message
m...
Paul - xxx wrote:
Ret. wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

SS wrote:

[...]

Kev thanks for the input, I am trying anything that might work, as I
mentioned I do have an improvemnt so will keep plodding away.
I just moved to this house a few weeks ago and prior to that had wooden
doors and windows, hate these damn plastic things.