Woodburner - cracking of plaster behind

Old June 15th 11, 01:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woodburner - cracking of plaster behind

Hi,
I put a woodburner in during the autumn last year. This was part of a
total refurbishment of the room, so the old fireplace was taken out, a
flue liner put in, and the area behind and around the woodburner was
all skim plastered. Under the skim, there is an inch or so of bonding
coat and then brick wall.

Unfortunately, behind the woodburner, the skim coat and, to some
degree, the bonding coat, has cracked - no doubt because the
woodburner is too close to the back wall and the plaster is not a
suitable material to have in such close proximity to the heat of the
stove.

Now summer's here I want to redo the area behind the woodburner. What
would be the best material to use and the best way of going about it?
Possibly fire resistant plasterboard ("Fireshield"). Possibly some
other fireproof board material. Or possibly something applied directly
to the wall - cement render maybe?

It is imperative that the newly finished wall is at the same level as
the existing wall, due to a nice new granite hearth which has been cut
to fit! FYI the woodburner is about two inches proud of the back wall
at present.

Unfortunately I don't have a close-up photo of the cracking, but I
don't suppose this is really necessary. I do however have couple of
photos of the overall effect:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4&l=c31928a1a3
(towards the end of the album - should be self-explanatory)

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks

Luke
Old June 15th 11, 01:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...27739.60021493....
(towards the end of the album - should be self-explanatory)

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks

Luke

We had a stove installed recently - the installer recommended at least
100mm clearance to avoid the risk of cracking the plaster behind.
Having said that, our neighbour has less clearence than you, and has
had no cracking, so it's going to be down to local factors. The
installer also suggested that lime render would be less prone to
cracking than cement render - a suggestion I've seen made quite often,
on the internewts.

Cheers
Richard
Old June 15th 11, 02:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Luke wrote:
[...]

either really, or fire grade tiles or iron or steel sheet.

I've got painted render behind mine. It's good.
Old June 15th 11, 05:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 15, 12:21*pm, Luke wrote:
[...]

Either strip back to the wall and lime render it, or just install a
small very quiet out of sight fan. More air movement back there maens
lower peak temps - and more dust build up.

NT
Old June 15th 11, 05:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Luke" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps an obvious question, but how bad is the cracking?
If the cracks are relatively minor (due to the plaster drying out more than
usual) then do you expect more cracking in the future, or can you just make
good with filler?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old June 15th 11, 06:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,
I put a woodburner in during the autumn last year.

Unfortunately, behind the woodburner, the skim coat and, to some
degree, the bonding coat, has cracked

Perhaps an obvious question, but how bad is the cracking?
If the cracks are relatively minor (due to the plaster drying out more than
usual) then do you expect more cracking in the future, or can you just make
good with filler?

Well, the cracking is bad enough for about a dinner-plate sized piece
of skim coat to come away completely. Underneath that you can see fine
cracks in the bonding coat. I had thought of making good with filler
but I'd spend every evening peering at it again wondering if it had
cracked. To be honest due to the extensive nature of the cracks I
don't think filling it will cut the mustard.

I will look at lime render. Metal sheet is worth considering, but I
can foresee difficulties in making good around the register plate and
at the hearth where the plasterwork in these areas is already quite
intricate. I'm sort of leaning towards a board material but the
question is, what specific type? "Fireshield" is only about a tenner a
sheet, whereas something like Supalux (Class 0 fire rating) is 116
for an 8*4 sheet. Ouch!

http://www.allowaytimber.com/flame_retardant_board.php

I can see that fan would make a difference but that strikes me as
extra hassle and a bit weird.

Luke
Old June 15th 11, 08:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 15, 1:52 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I've got painted render behind mine. It's good.

+1

Jim K
Old June 15th 11, 10:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Luke wrote:

[...]

I rendered mine:

Silversand (playsand), snowcrete (white cement) and lime. applied a
snowcrete slurry to the bricks first - then rendered in the usual way. It's
survived the blistering heat of hot iron 2" away. The mix is actully a
little yellow (the sand) so I whitewashed it with some home made stuff.

I suspect the lime content helps a little with the flexibility - but also
being 1/2"-3/4" thick does too.

--
Tim Watts
Old June 15th 11, 10:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've got painted render behind mine. It's good.

+1

Jim K

What did you paint it with?

--
Tim Watts
Old June 16th 11, 02:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've got painted render behind mine. It's good.

+1

Jim K

What did you paint it with?

mm I just went to have a look. I don't think it is painted..I think it
was just a mixture of lime, white cement and builders sand. In about
1:1:3 IIRC.

Cracking plaster behind wood burning stove petercharlesfagg[_2_] UK diy 8 October 28th 09 08:02 PM
Plaster Cracking 405 TD Estate UK diy 6 April 29th 08 03:11 PM
Cracking plaster JustMe UK diy 14 September 9th 06 04:42 PM
Plaster Cracking Around Double Glazing RedOnRed UK diy 10 July 25th 06 11:38 PM
Plaster cracking in a timber frame house [email protected] UK diy 1 October 22nd 05 12:08 PM