Senior Member

Default Eggshell shelf life

After using it a couple of times, how long can I keep a can of good quality eggshell paint before the paint is not usable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"asalcedo" wrote in message

After using it a couple of times, how long can I keep a can of good
quality eggshell paint before the paint is not usable?

Depends on the paint and storage temperatures. I replace the air in the top
of the tin with propane from my gas torch, this makes my paints stay good
(with no skin forming on oil paints) for much longer.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike wrote:
wrote in message

After using it a couple of times, how long can I keep a can of good
quality eggshell paint before the paint is not usable?

Depends on the paint and storage temperatures. I replace the air in the top
of the tin with propane from my gas torch, this makes my paints stay good
(with no skin forming on oil paints) for much longer.

Mike

Interesting idea Mike! I'll have to try that.
I invert my part-used paint tins for storage. Any skin that forms is
left in place. Stirring does have to be done with care though!

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many, many paints have been substantially reformulated over the past year
or so to conform with new regulations. So experience from the past might
not be a good guide to the future.

Rod

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:08:02 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

MuddyMike wrote:
wrote in message

After using it a couple of times, how long can I keep a can of good
quality eggshell paint before the paint is not usable?

Depends on the paint and storage temperatures. I replace the air in the
top
of the tin with propane from my gas torch, this makes my paints stay
good
(with no skin forming on oil paints) for much longer.

Mike

Interesting idea Mike! I'll have to try that.
I invert my part-used paint tins for storage. Any skin that forms is
left in place. Stirring does have to be done with care though!

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 5:08*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
MuddyMike wrote:
*wrote in message

After using it a couple of times, how long can I keep a can of good
quality eggshell paint before the paint is not usable?

Depends on the paint and storage temperatures. I replace the air in the top
of the tin with propane from my gas torch, this makes my paints stay good
(with no skin forming on oil paints) for much longer.

Mike

Interesting idea Mike! I'll have to try that.
I invert my part-used paint tins for storage. Any skin that forms is
left in place. Stirring does have to be done with care though!

Bob

IME its hard to predict. Some paints are useless after months, some
are still usable after a decade. Tipping the tin upside down then
storing it the right way up improves the sealing.

I suppose in principle it might help to turn them the other way up
every few months in storage, never tried it.

NT

Senior Member

Yes, that sounds like an interesting idea. Propane (or butane, for butane torches) is heavier than air, so it does displace it, and its oxygen, from the tin. That may avoid indeed the formation of the skin on oil paints. I guess also that being a hydrocarbon there is some affinity with oil paints acting somehow like a solvent.

That, plus inverting the tin for better sealing should make them indeed last for much longer.

In my experience, if the tin has been kept inverted and it is stirred well the paint is usable for several years. However, most manufacturers mention one year of shelf life if unopened (which implies much shorter if used). But this is not unexpected if they want to sell more.

Last edited by asalcedo : June 11th 11 at 09:46 AM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:09:23 +0100, "MuddyMike"
wrote:

"asalcedo" wrote in message

After using it a couple of times, how long can I keep a can of good
quality eggshell paint before the paint is not usable?

Depends on the paint and storage temperatures. I replace the air in the top
of the tin with propane from my gas torch, this makes my paints stay good
(with no skin forming on oil paints) for much longer.

Just don't open the tin while smoking a fag!
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"asalcedo" wrote in message

After using it a couple of times, how long can I keep a can of good
quality eggshell paint before the paint is not usable?

Depends on the paint and storage temperatures. I replace the air in the
top
of the tin with propane from my gas torch, this makes my paints stay good
(with no skin forming on oil paints) for much longer.

Just don't open the tin while smoking a fag!
--

Valid point, also if your blowtorch has it own ignition, don't accidentally
press it.

Mike

Emulsion shelf life? Rob[_10_] UK diy 8 April 8th 08 09:21 AM
Shelf life of paint [email protected] UK diy 3 June 26th 07 09:02 PM
BLO Shelf Life Russ Stanton Woodworking 2 January 9th 07 03:34 PM
Shelf life of plaster Dan_Musicant Home Repair 29 September 11th 06 09:56 PM
Penetrating oil shelf life Norm Dion Home Repair 1 June 29th 04 02:42 AM