Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Helpless

Have you come across women who find it quite endearing that their partner is
hopeless at anything DIY?

When I were a lad I felt a certain responsibility to be able to learn to
decorate, change fuses, put up shelves, etc. Same with cars - change a
wheel, change oil, etc.

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an endearing
manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us £300 because he
drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

Regards

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBoy wrote:

Have you come across women who find it quite endearing that their partner
is hopeless at anything DIY?

When I were a lad I felt a certain responsibility to be able to learn to
decorate, change fuses, put up shelves, etc. Same with cars - change a
wheel, change oil, etc.

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us
£300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

Most of the "village blokes" I know round here are generally pretty handy -
and know what they specifically don't like to do (eg a bloke I know is a
genius with woodwork and building, but always calls in his sparky mate for
electrics and won't touch gas or water either).

But we are talking about the 35+ age group. The younger ones I know (who are
in London because I don't know many 20-somethings here) in seem to know
rather less right down to being in that category you mentioned.

It's OK to be not very good at a fair few things, but to be completely
useless at anything practical is rather sad.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:29 pm, "DerbyBoy" wrote:
Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing
us £300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all
round!)

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things
either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

They can go on a SlutWalk.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:12:19 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

Sounds familiar. It's the little things that don't get done - like
changing a tap washer.

The reason I leave the little jobs undone, is I'd rather know what she want
done, than discover what's next on her secret list ! ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 4, 11:57*pm, Owain wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:29*pm, "DerbyBoy" *wrote:

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an endearing
manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us £300 because he
drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things
either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

Owain

As long as they can screw.......who cares?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 6:15*am, Andy Cap wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:12:19 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
Sounds familiar. *It's the little things that don't get done - like
changing a tap washer.

The reason I leave the little jobs undone, is I'd rather know what she want
done, than discover what's next on her secret list ! * ;-)

Ah. My wife has a secret list. I think she thinks it would beb ad for
my morale if I knew the length of this list.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 12:25*am, "brass monkey" wrote:
"DerbyBoy" No-one wrote in message

Have you come across women who find it quite endearing that their partner
is hopeless at anything DIY?

When I were a lad I felt a certain responsibility to be able to learn to
decorate, change fuses, put up shelves, etc. Same with cars - change a
wheel, change oil, etc.

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us
300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

I have a slightly different problem. I can pretty much do most things around
the house, leccy, plumbing, woodwork, bit of brickwork (crap at plastering).
Why should I pay someone to do these things? Cos I can't be arsed to do it
myself
And since I'm a tightarse I don't pay someone, so the odd sink tap which is
hanging off will get sorted "sometime".

OT.
Q. How was copper wire invented?
A. Two Yorkshiremen fighting over a penny.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Jun 5, 6:15 am, Andy wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:12:19 +1200, Gib wrote:
Sounds familiar. It's the little things that don't get done - like
changing a tap washer.

The reason I leave the little jobs undone, is I'd rather know what she want
done, than discover what's next on her secret list ! ;-)

Ah. My wife has a secret list. I think she thinks it would beb ad for
my morale if I knew the length of this list.

Have you noticed how items on the secret list are revealed in the
presence of friends say over dinner?
As in " Oh we are going to be having a new zxy soon" and this is the
first I have heard of the proposal!

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message

wrote:
Sounds familiar. It's the little things that don't get done -

like
changing a tap washer.

The reason I leave the little jobs undone, is I'd rather know

what she want
done, than discover what's next on her secret list ! ;-)

Ah. My wife has a secret list. I think she thinks it would beb ad

for
my morale if I knew the length of this list.

Have you noticed how items on the secret list are revealed in the
presence of friends say over dinner?
As in " Oh we are going to be having a new zxy soon" and this is the
first I have heard of the proposal!

Bob

That's perfect Bob. You just need to ask her (infront of the guests)
to confirm she is happy with the quotes she's arranged for the work!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBoy wrote:

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us
£300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

The last great sin in this country is intelligence; young people
particularly (I speak as a 37 YO!) seem to view knowing anything at all
technical as risible.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2011 23:11, Tim Watts wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

Have you come across women who find it quite endearing that their partner
is hopeless at anything DIY?

When I were a lad I felt a certain responsibility to be able to learn to
decorate, change fuses, put up shelves, etc. Same with cars - change a
wheel, change oil, etc.

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us
£300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

Most of the "village blokes" I know round here are generally pretty handy -
and know what they specifically don't like to do (eg a bloke I know is a
genius with woodwork and building, but always calls in his sparky mate for
electrics and won't touch gas or water either).

I get called in for a lot of basic electric or plumbing jobs - changing
light fittings & taps for example - for that very reason.

But we are talking about the 35+ age group. The younger ones I know (who are
in London because I don't know many 20-somethings here) in seem to know
rather less right down to being in that category you mentioned.

That I definitely agree with. 20-somethings seem to have no DIY skills
whatsoever - apart from my daughters who are pretty capable.

It's OK to be not very good at a fair few things, but to be completely
useless at anything practical is rather sad.

There are a lot of people like that around - thankfully.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 10:32, Scott M wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us
£300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

The last great sin in this country is intelligence; young people
particularly (I speak as a 37 YO!) seem to view knowing anything at all
technical as risible.

And in the ever growing underclass intelligence itself is regarded as
risible - instead of something to be proud of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

And in the ever growing underclass intelligence itself is regarded as
risible - instead of something to be proud of.

It might also have something to do with the dire warnings and endless
safety regulations introduced around every relatively simple activity.
When every accident is interpreted as a risk to an entire population,
with no weight given to the considerable benefits, then inevitably you
end up with a populace scared to attempt anything new. We're paying a
heavy price for crippling such natural curiosity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:54:05 +0100, Andy Cap wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

And in the ever growing underclass intelligence itself is regarded as
risible - instead of something to be proud of.

It might also have something to do with the dire warnings and endless
safety regulations introduced around every relatively simple activity.
When every accident is interpreted as a risk to an entire population,
with no weight given to the considerable benefits, then inevitably you
end up with a populace scared to attempt anything new. We're paying a
heavy price for crippling such natural curiosity.

And it makes it less likely that the unintelligent will remove themselves
from the gene pool.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/5/2011 5:15 PM, Andy Cap wrote:
On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:12:19 +1200, Gib wrote:

Sounds familiar. It's the little things that don't get done - like
changing a tap washer.

The reason I leave the little jobs undone, is I'd rather know what she want
done, than discover what's next on her secret list ! ;-)

The secret list, yes!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 11:39, Guy Dawson wrote:
On 05/06/2011 00:25, brass monkey wrote:
(crap at plastering).

I believe plastering to be a dark art.

Indeed. You must have to sign a pact with the Devil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/5/2011 10:11 AM, Tim Watts wrote:

Most of the "village blokes" I know round here are generally pretty handy -
and know what they specifically don't like to do (eg a bloke I know is a
genius with woodwork and building, but always calls in his sparky mate for
electrics and won't touch gas or water either).

But we are talking about the 35+ age group. The younger ones I know (who are
in London because I don't know many 20-somethings here) in seem to know
rather less right down to being in that category you mentioned.

It's OK to be not very good at a fair few things, but to be completely
useless at anything practical is rather sad.

As necessity is the mother of invention, so affluence is the mother of
ignorance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 6:46 pm, harry wrote:
On Jun 4, 11:57 pm, Owain wrote:

On Jun 4, 10:29 pm, "DerbyBoy" wrote:

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an endearing
manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us £300 because he
drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things
either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

Owain

As long as they can screw.......who cares?

Slot head, Phillips or Pozidriv?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 07:03:39 -0700, Matty F wrote:

On Jun 5, 6:46 pm, harry wrote:
On Jun 4, 11:57 pm, Owain wrote:

On Jun 4, 10:29 pm, "DerbyBoy" wrote:

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing
us £300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all
round!)

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things
either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

Owain

As long as they can screw.......who cares?

Slot head, Phillips or Pozidriv?

I couls say something about security Torx and the useful hole up the
middle. But I won't.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 12:30*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 05/06/2011 11:39, Guy Dawson wrote:

On 05/06/2011 00:25, brass monkey wrote:
(crap at plastering).

I believe plastering to be a dark art.

Indeed. *You must have to sign a pact with the Devil.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

It's like welding. You need to be doing it constantly to be any good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2011 23:57, Owain wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:29 pm, "DerbyBoy" wrote:
Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an endearing
manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us £300 because he
drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things
either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

To be fair, I don't know that I could use a plough either. Cook, sew,
knit, darn and crochet, yes; plough, I've never tried.

I did see a woman making a real pig's ear of blacksmithing yesterday though.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
DerbyBoy wrote:

[...]

Could the age-dependency be partly due to whether people live in rented
accomodation or own houses?
Younger people are likely to be living in rented properties, and probably
won't need (or be permitted) to do much DIY. Also, they may only have
on-street parking, which makes DIY car maintenance more difficult.

For me, DIY has become more practical and cost-effective as I've got older,
bought a house with a garage and accumulated tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 18:10, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 04/06/2011 23:57, Owain wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:29 pm, "DerbyBoy" wrote:
Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing
manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us £300
because he
drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things
either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

To be fair, I don't know that I could use a plough either. Cook, sew,
knit, darn and crochet, yes; plough, I've never tried.

I did see a woman making a real pig's ear of blacksmithing yesterday
though.

Colin Bignell

Some years ago, a friend of mine was working away and when he came back
he found that his girlfriend had bought some steel, formed some
scrollwork and welded up a new bedhead foot end.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 22:05, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

That was meant to say bedhead and foor end - what is the foot end called
anyway?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@" "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 04/06/2011 23:57, Owain wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:29 pm, "DerbyBoy" wrote:
Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing
us £300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all
round!)

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things
either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

To be fair, I don't know that I could use a plough either. Cook, sew,
knit, darn and crochet, yes; plough, I've never tried.

I did see a woman making a real pig's ear of blacksmithing yesterday
though.

She nailed a horseshoe to a pigs ear?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2011 22:10, ARWadsworth wrote:
Nightjar"cpb"@" "cpb"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 04/06/2011 23:57, Owain wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:29 pm, "DerbyBoy" wrote:
Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing
us £300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all
round!)

It helps them feel equal to men because they can't do those things
either. They probably can't cook, sew, knit, or plough either.

To be fair, I don't know that I could use a plough either. Cook, sew,
knit, darn and crochet, yes; plough, I've never tried.

I did see a woman making a real pig's ear of blacksmithing yesterday
though.

She nailed a horseshoe to a pigs ear?

She was trying to split the end of a piece of steel to make a toasting
fork. To do this, she heated the steel, laid it on the hardened face of
the anvil, rather than on the soft table where you should chisel stuff,
waited for someone else to hold it for her, then she picked up a chisel,
carefully laid it into the groove she had made before and tapped the
chisel a couple of time. By which time, she had lost all the heat.

If she had put a hardy into the tool hole, she could have swung the hot
steel around, laid it onto the hardy and hit the steel down onto it with
the hammer. Much quicker, less contact with cold metal to drawn the heat
away and the energy from the hammer going directly into the workpiece.
She should have split the steel in two heats, at most, instead of
failing to in the half dozen I saw her try.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That's women for you.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 8:11*pm, "BluntChisel" wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message

news

DerbyBoy wrote:

[...]

bought a house with a garage and accumulated tools.- Hide quoted text -

You never see kids playing with car engines these days...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 5:17 pm, harry wrote:

You never see kids playing with car engines these days...

I couldn't even find the spark plugs in my car. The supplied manuals
didn't say where they were either. Clearly the owner is not meant to
know how to change the plugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1046102 20110605 103206 Scott M wrote:
DerbyBoy wrote:

Now one hears women talking of how hopeless their partner is in an
endearing manner. ("He tried to fit a shelf ant it ended up costing us
�300 because he drilled through the water pipe" - laughter all round!)

The last great sin in this country is intelligence; young people
particularly (I speak as a 37 YO!) seem to view knowing anything at all
technical as risible.

A fault they share with the chattering classes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 00:07:35 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

You never see kids playing with car engines these days...

I couldn't even find the spark plugs in my car. The supplied manuals
didn't say where they were either. Clearly the owner is not meant to
know how to change the plugs.

These days you only change the plugs once or twice in the lifetime of
the car, assuming "lifetime" is somewhere between 100,000 and 200,000
miles.

Pretty much all you need to do on a routine basis, rather than "when
worn", these days is change the oil and oil filter and possibly a
fuel filter. The interval for that can be over 20,000 miles, every
other interval change the air filter and somewhere between 50,000 and
100,000 miles change the cam timing belt.`

Long gone are the days of oil changes and all filters, replacement
points and plugs, lube all the grease points, etc every 3,000 miles.
B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker writes:
Some years ago, a friend of mine was working away and when he came back
he found that his girlfriend had bought some steel, formed some
scrollwork and welded up a new bedhead foot end.

That's the trouble with plain divan beds - nowhere to tie the partner to...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker writes:
Some years ago, a friend of mine was working away and when he came back
he found that his girlfriend had bought some steel, formed some
scrollwork and welded up a new bedhead foot end.

That's the trouble with plain divan beds - nowhere to tie the partner
to...

You lack imagination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 05/06/2011 11:39, Guy Dawson wrote:

On 05/06/2011 00:25, brass monkey wrote:
(crap at plastering).

I believe plastering to be a dark art.

Indeed. *You must have to sign a pact with the Devil.

It's like welding. You need to be doing it constantly to be any good.

Can't speak for welding, but for plastering, for me it was a matter
of being shown, and picking up a few basic techniques on a 2-day course.
Actually, only 1 day of this was plastering/rendering, the second day was
other wet trades (I chose peddledash) and repairwork. At the end of the
first day, all 16 of us were plastering better than the professionals I
had hired before (although not as fast). I couldn't plaster at all before,
and I know this because I tried;-0.

Plastering is excellent for DIY brownie points with your friends, because
almost none of them will be able to do it. Come to think of it, I've done
3 different friends' bathrooms now...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 8:07*am, Matty F wrote:
On Jun 6, 5:17 pm, harry wrote:

You never see kids playing with car engines these days...

I couldn't even find the spark plugs in my car. The supplied manuals
didn't say where they were either. Clearly the owner is not meant to
know how to change the plugs.

I know where the spark plugs are. Hard to find anything else.......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 11:13*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I can do it a bit. From watching proper plasterers.