Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AV and data cable wall outlet

I'm thinking about some AV / coax / ethernet cabling into the far
corner of my kitchen, where it might
be useful to connect up various things.
1. worktop cable outlet (useful for some things, like a TV sitting on
the work surface)
2. various wall plates - OK but difficult to future proof. Need at
least 3 x cat6 (can take HMDI also), 2 x coax, some audio cables, etc,
etc.
3. Some type of big modular wall plate that can be customized with
snap-in modules in the future.
4. A tidy cable duct outlet in the wall. Could push cables up behind
plasterboard and out of the wall, to, for example, a drop-down screen.
Cable would have to exit upwards to repect minimum bend radius etc.

1. is easily available and might be included anyway.
2. Takes a lot of space and not future-proof.
3. Anyone know of such a thing ?
4. Anyone know of such a thing ?

Cheers,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

I'm thinking about some AV / coax / ethernet cabling into the far
corner of my kitchen, where it might
be useful to connect up various things.
1. worktop cable outlet (useful for some things, like a TV sitting on
the work surface)
2. various wall plates - OK but difficult to future proof. Need at
least 3 x cat6 (can take HMDI also), 2 x coax, some audio cables, etc,
etc.
3. Some type of big modular wall plate that can be customized with
snap-in modules in the future.
4. A tidy cable duct outlet in the wall. Could push cables up behind
plasterboard and out of the wall, to, for example, a drop-down screen.
Cable would have to exit upwards to repect minimum bend radius etc.

Option one sounds to be the easiest and most sensible if you are not sure of
future use at this point: a work surface television should have or could
have Freeview HD built in which, if satellite was not important to you,
would reduce the need for cabling including possibly audio cabling to just a
standard aerial cable.

I've tended to just replace standard size wall plates with new standard size
wall plates when wanting to upgrade an ethernet or aerial socket.

I recently blanked off three ethernet sockets for a friend because they
haven't been used - wireless technology isn't perfect but has come a long
way. The cable wasn't cheap and iirc cost twice as much more than the
wireless router :-o

Never seen a tidy cable duct.

--
* I promise I will format my posts properly in the future.
* Windows Live Mail just can't quote! Luckily, I have found this:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

2. various wall plates - OK but difficult to future proof. Need at
least 3 x cat6 (can take HMDI also), 2 x coax, some audio cables, etc,
etc.
3. Some type of big modular wall plate that can be customized with
snap-in modules in the future.

Mixture of both:

I have sunk extra back boxes above most of my sockets with seperate conduit
runs. The boxes are mostly singles, with the odd double.

I plan to use Euromod type faceplaces into which you can snap pretty much a
module for anything that exists[1]. Euromod should be pretty furture proof -
and if not, there *will* always be a standard faceplate with some sort of
modular option.

[1] I've seen everthing- VGA, sat, aerial, network, fibre optic, louspeaker
to name a few.

I would avoid the "mega custom" modular plates, especially the combined 13A
socket + ELV ones. They are too custom and I personally like a bit of
plaster at least between my mains and ELV stuff.

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

That wasn't clear... Use modular as 3) but use standard plate sizes as 2). A
double plate takes 4 modules.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 6:51*am, "Gareth" wrote:
[...]

I was imagining something that looked like a small upside-down
ventilation cowl, just under the wall cabinets, so the cables would
exit from this upwards in a fairly tidy manner, and the "hole" in the
wall would be hidden from any likely viewpoint.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 8:03*am, Tim Watts wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

[...]

Euromod sounds interesting.

To repeat what I just wrote in response to Gareth,
for the cable duct outlet in the wall:

I was imagining something that looked like a small upside-down
ventilation cowl, just under the wall cabinets, so the cables would
exit from this upwards in a fairly tidy manner, and the "hole" in the
wall would be hidden from any likely viewpoint.

I still think that sounds intriguing.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gareth wrote:
Option one sounds to be the easiest and most sensible if you are not
sure of future use at this point: a work surface television should have
or could have Freeview HD built in which, if satellite was not
important to you, would reduce the need for cabling including possibly
audio cabling to just a standard aerial cable.

I'm glad I ran in SCART cabling from living room to kitchen - initially so
I could watch recorded stuff in the kitchen. But it proves handy on live
stuff too - use the same FreeView tuner and you don't hear that annoying
sound delay between two different ones.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 12:46*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *Gareth wrote:

Option one sounds to be the easiest and most sensible if you are not
sure of future use at this point: a work surface television should have
or could have Freeview HD built in which, if satellite was not
important to you, would reduce the need for cabling including possibly
audio cabling to just a standard aerial cable.

I'm glad I ran in SCART cabling from living room to kitchen - initially so
I could watch recorded stuff in the kitchen. But it proves handy on live
stuff too - use the same FreeView tuner and you don't hear that annoying
sound delay between two different ones.

What is the max length of scart cable. Its quite thick bulky stuff.
Expensive ?
For the future, HDMI over cat6 cable seems to be the thing.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 9, 11:23*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

I like standard mains accessory blanking plates. You can drill and
mount whatever you want almost as densely as you want. Pretty
essential to mark up properly and take steps to ensure the drill
doesnt wander, you dont want it looking a bodge. Layout the desired
sockets on a grid matrix. The plate can be replaced any time in future
for a new connector layout. The one downside is its not a quick snap-
in solution. And if using a drlll press, its easy to apply too much
pressure.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
sm_jamieson wrote:
I'm glad I ran in SCART cabling from living room to kitchen -
initially so I could watch recorded stuff in the kitchen. But it
proves handy on live stuff too - use the same FreeView tuner and you
don't hear that annoying sound delay between two different ones.

What is the max length of scart cable. Its quite thick bulky stuff.
Expensive ?

Mine is about 40 ft with no problems.

For the future, HDMI over cat6 cable seems to be the thing.
Simon.

HDMI wasn't really around when I installed this.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 04:11:58 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

I was imagining something that looked like a small upside-down
ventilation cowl, just under the wall cabinets, so the cables would
exit from this upwards in a fairly tidy manner, and the "hole" in the
wall would be hidden from any likely viewpoint.

CPC have brush plates in standard single and double sizes. They also
have larger multi connector plates but they won't be particulary easy
to modify for changing requirements, though TBH is that really going
to happen in the corneer of a kitchen? Couple of ethernet ports, Coax
and mains is probably all you need in reality. HDMI, on a kitchen
set, is it worth it?

--
Cheers
Dave.

external data cable pj UK diy 60 May 22nd 08 04:15 AM
APC UPS data cable Tom Del Rosso Electronics Repair 6 May 4th 07 08:33 PM
How do I put in cable outlet box in the wall? [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 3rd 05 07:36 PM
Video & Data cable run Ray Home Repair 7 May 7th 05 05:13 AM
Installing wall tile... Move electrical outlet level to new wall? Al Kondo Home Repair 3 February 17th 05 03:51 PM