Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Default Confessions of a computer repairman

Adrian C wrote:
Oh no, not me :-)

An article published in PC PRO caught my eye last month.

Probably worth a gander if ye or someone else is thinking of sticking
a pin in Yellow Pages for a PC service, or following up a dodgy fly
poster stuck to a lamp-post showing a mobile number ...

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/367345/confessions-of-a-computer-repairman

A quick summary of cowboy efforts described in that ...

* Here today, gone tomorrow - they run off with your PC,
* The “beyond repair” bluff - offer a silly scrappage value,
* The memory game - don't install the memory as promised,
* The hostage situation - a ransom to return the PC,
* The blank screen of opportunity - non required parts,
* Virus cold-callers - remote access extortion,
* Hot-Kit shuffle - pinching internal expensive parts,
* The snoop patrol - pinching customers data,
* Phantom repairs - made up issues resolved at cost,
* The price gouge - extreme overcharging,
* The Windows wiper - reinstalling windows and data gone,
* The Insurance fiddle - falsified claims for replacement kit,
* Business shortcuts - shoddy work,
* The untrained expert - bodgers without skills,
* License-key lifting - user now denied software updates.

In the words of Shaw Taylor, "Keep 'em peeled!"

ISTM that computers are now becoming so ridiculously cheap that it is barely
worth bothering with trying to get one repaired...

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

ISTM that computers are now becoming so ridiculously cheap that it is
barely worth bothering with trying to get one repaired...

Ain't that the truth....

I'd been suffering from system 'lock-ups' here on this XOP / Dell box.
Had some good suggestions on here (thanks folks!) -
and enlisted the help of the local Dell subcontract 'fixit-fella'.

Have changed....
the ram (twice!)
the hard disk (cloned)
run various checks and tests
all the usual updates
anti-spyware / malware software

Til ..... eventually..... after all this time and Googling in
desperation late at night....

....I discovered an updated driver for the ATI Radeon pro 2400 video card
driver - which seems to have solved the lock-up problems (over a
fortnight running 24/7 now with no repeat of the lock-ups) - and doing
the same things that used to break it.

Based on an hourly rate, I could have bought a couple of new PCs for the
price! - but where's the satisfaction in that? g

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt
> > is offline

On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:29:15 +0100, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

[...]

Yes, but the 2 new PC's that you bought for the price may also have issues
like their vga drivers need updating too.

New PC's are usually built by using a hard disc image containing all the
necessary operating system files, device drivers and trial applications.
From this point onwards the PC will enter the supply chain and it will in
all likelihood be several months before that PC gets to the end user.

When the end does get the PC there will be umpteen updates to be installed
for Operating System, device drivers, Adobe reader, flash player,
Anti-virus etc ...

You'll also need to get your personal files, email account(s) settings,
printer / scanner drivers & programs transferred / installed.
Installing a new PC and getting it how the user wants it can easily be the
best part of a days work, maybe more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

wrote:

On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

[...]

Understood - my comment was a little bit tongue-in-cheek....

New PC's are usually built by using a hard disc image containing all the
necessary operating system files, device drivers and trial applications.
From this point onwards the PC will enter the supply chain and it will
in all likelihood be several months before that PC gets to the end user.

When the end does get the PC there will be umpteen updates to be
installed for Operating System, device drivers, Adobe reader, flash
player, Anti-virus etc ...

Yup - been there!

You'll also need to get your personal files, email account(s) settings,
printer / scanner drivers & programs transferred / installed.
Installing a new PC and getting it how the user wants it can easily be
the best part of a days work, maybe more.

Yes - that's precisely what I was trying to avoid....

Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 6/7/2011 11:29 PM, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

ISTM that computers are now becoming so ridiculously cheap that it is
barely worth bothering with trying to get one repaired...

Ain't that the truth....

I'd been suffering from system 'lock-ups' here on this XOP / Dell box.
Had some good suggestions on here (thanks folks!) -
and enlisted the help of the local Dell subcontract 'fixit-fella'.

Have changed....
the ram (twice!)
the hard disk (cloned)
run various checks and tests
all the usual updates
anti-spyware / malware software

After reading this far, I thought of suggesting that you check for
software upgrades. I then saw that this is what you did next.
I was having blue-screen problems with my recently-purchased ASUS m/b
Windows 7 machine. After some screwing around swapping memory sticks
between slots, like you I went online and found the latest software for
the m/b, video card and a couple of other things. I'm pretty sure it
was the ASUS m/b ROM upgrade that fixed it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

[...]

g - funny how it's always the last thing you think of that fixes it!
Should have thought 'video drivers' sooner - but, in my defence, when
the problem started the ATI upgrade wasn't available (dated February, I
think).

All looking good so far...... (icebergs - what icebergs?!)

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

[...]

I helped someone fix a driver problem on a brand new PC world machine.
His accounts package would crash until I updated the driver that was
preinstalled.

Fine you think..

two days later he says its broken again.

It turns out that he decided the machine was faulty when he bought it and
had taken it back and complained until they exchanged it for a new one..
complete with the duff driver!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

[...]

Why don't people seek advice *before* they go to the bloody shop?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

wrote:

On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

[...]

From this point onwards the PC will enter the supply chain and it will in
all likelihood be several months before that PC gets to the end user.

When the end does get the PC there will be umpteen updates to be installed
for Operating System, device drivers, Adobe reader, flash player,
Anti-virus etc ...

You'll also need to get your personal files, email account(s) settings,
printer / scanner drivers & programs transferred / installed.
Installing a new PC and getting it how the user wants it can easily be the
best part of a days work, maybe more.

I'd say a lot more than a day's work.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:08:16 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Why don't people seek advice *before* they go to the bloody shop?

Because they assume that someone in PC World knows what they're doing?
Like telling a neighbour that he had to have a gigabit ethernet card
in his new computer (in his first floor study) so that he could
connect to his wireless router (near his ground floor telephone
socket) and tried to upgrade him to a PS/2 keyboard from USB (the PC
had no PS/2 socket).

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On 07/06/2011 11:47, Ret. wrote:

[...]

Mine was running stable as anything for ages, until (I suspect) a
Windows Update hosed it.

It doesn't yet crash often enough for me to be arsed to go collect and
install either the original drivers or updates from Gigabyte, but I'm
gradually accumulating the required circular tuits. OTOH it's coming
up on time to blat and reinstall from scratch which I tend to do about
annually, IME this saves time over fettling and failing a few times.