A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » UK diy
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Plastic to Aluminium glue ?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 6th 11, 11:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,678
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

My "better half?" bought one of these cheap (~20) small cold frames.
For planting out a pot of mixed lettuce from the supermarket it's OK.

It consists of panels of double skinned plastic extrusion glued into a
slot in an aluminium extrusion frame - and on one of the lid elements
this glue has failed. Can someone please make suggestions as what
glue would be suitable for this.

Thanks
Rob
Ads
  #2  
Old June 6th 11, 12:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,936
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

On 06/06/2011 11:30, robgraham wrote:
My "better half?" bought one of these cheap (~20) small cold frames.
For planting out a pot of mixed lettuce from the supermarket it's OK.

It consists of panels of double skinned plastic extrusion glued into a
slot in an aluminium extrusion frame - and on one of the lid elements
this glue has failed. Can someone please make suggestions as what
glue would be suitable for this.


That depends upon the type of plastic, as the bond between that and the
adhesive is likely to be the weak point and different plastics have
different bond strengths to different adhesives. You might find an
aggressive double-sided adhesive tape, such as carpet fixing tape,
better than a glue.

Colin Bignell
  #3  
Old June 6th 11, 01:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,605
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

In article
,
robgraham wrote:
My "better half?" bought one of these cheap (~20) small cold frames.
For planting out a pot of mixed lettuce from the supermarket it's OK.


It consists of panels of double skinned plastic extrusion glued into a
slot in an aluminium extrusion frame - and on one of the lid elements
this glue has failed. Can someone please make suggestions as what
glue would be suitable for this.


The most likely stuff to work is Evostick Serious glue or similar. But of
course some plastics refuse to glue well.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #4  
Old June 6th 11, 03:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,600
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 06/06/2011 11:30, robgraham wrote:
My "better half?" bought one of these cheap (~£20) small cold frames.
For planting out a pot of mixed lettuce from the supermarket it's OK.

It consists of panels of double skinned plastic extrusion glued into a
slot in an aluminium extrusion frame - and on one of the lid elements
this glue has failed. Can someone please make suggestions as what
glue would be suitable for this.


That depends upon the type of plastic, as the bond between that and the
adhesive is likely to be the weak point and different plastics have
different bond strengths to different adhesives. You might find an
aggressive double-sided adhesive tape, such as carpet fixing tape,
better than a glue.

Colin Bignell


try hot glue.

Or something in the mastic line.



  #5  
Old June 6th 11, 03:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,024
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 06/06/2011 11:30, robgraham wrote:
My "better half?" bought one of these cheap (~£20) small cold frames.
For planting out a pot of mixed lettuce from the supermarket it's OK.

It consists of panels of double skinned plastic extrusion glued into a
slot in an aluminium extrusion frame - and on one of the lid elements
this glue has failed. Can someone please make suggestions as what
glue would be suitable for this.


That depends upon the type of plastic, as the bond between that and the
adhesive is likely to be the weak point and different plastics have
different bond strengths to different adhesives. You might find an
aggressive double-sided adhesive tape, such as carpet fixing tape, better than a glue.


That's an excellent suggestion Colin. A few weeks ago I had to tow my
figure across Europe. Because the bucket sucks out behind the trailer it
haste have a long load triangle fitted. I got one in polycarbonate - the
same material used for cold frame glazing but it was floppy and folded up
when towed at 60. I got some aluminium track and bonded it to the plastic
using "Mammoth" tape. Like carpet tape but much stronger.

Clean the surfaces carefully (I used meths) apply the tape to one surface,
peel off the protection strip press into place. You only get one chance,
the bond is as strong as epoxy.

It's sold by Toolstation as "power grip tape" it is available in 25mm and
50mm widths in rolls of 2.5 metres for £2.50/£4.50 respectively.

Product numbers: 63962, 66322
  #6  
Old June 6th 11, 04:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,605
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:
That's an excellent suggestion Colin. A few weeks ago I had to tow my
figure across Europe. Because the bucket sucks out behind the trailer it
haste have


Shouldn't this say 'sent from my I-phone while driving' ?

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #7  
Old June 6th 11, 05:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,694
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

Steve Firth wrote:

A few weeks ago I had to tow my
figure across Europe. Because the bucket sucks out behind the trailer it
haste have a long load triangle fitted.


You should ask for a refund on your speech recognition software!
  #8  
Old June 6th 11, 05:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,600
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:
That's an excellent suggestion Colin. A few weeks ago I had to tow my
figure across Europe. Because the bucket sucks out behind the trailer it
haste have


Shouldn't this say 'sent from my I-phone while driving' ?

no. merely incomprehensible firth froth.

I don't see these much since I KF'ed the stupid arrogant sod.
  #9  
Old June 6th 11, 05:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 94
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

On 06/06/2011 17:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

A few weeks ago I had to tow my
figure across Europe. Because the bucket sucks out behind the trailer it
haste have a long load triangle fitted.


You should ask for a refund on your speech recognition software!


I thought I was in the Stanley Unwin thread.

--
Reentrant
  #10  
Old June 6th 11, 07:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,024
Default Plastic to Aluminium glue ?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
Steve Firth wrote:
That's an excellent suggestion Colin. A few weeks ago I had to tow my
figure across Europe. Because the bucket sucks out behind the trailer it
haste have


Shouldn't this say 'sent from my I-phone while driving' ?


cough almost correct. Sent from my iPhone while in the most boring
meeting I've been in for months.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminium glue Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 25 August 22nd 09 10:48 AM
Aluminium glue Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 August 22nd 09 09:28 AM
Aluminium glue Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 August 21st 09 11:10 PM
plastic glue Patt Home Repair 2 June 24th 07 02:22 PM
glue for plastic Martin Home Repair 9 December 12th 05 11:49 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.