Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbing again ... And an update on Arfa's Burger Joint ...

OK. Another question about the incompatibility of various waste sizes ...

Following on from the questions last week about the macerator, I now have
one of the Chinese - or whatever they are - Saniflo copies from Plumbworld,
and I have to say that the build quality and range of fittings and bits and
pieces that it's supplied with, all seems very good. Now, connecting it up.
The existing waste plumbing that I have to finally reach for connection
into, has all been done in 32 mm solvent pipe and fittings. The macerator
installation instructions suggest that 32 mm is a good size for connecting
that up also, so I would like to use similar 32 mm solvent pipe and fittings
to do this. Except, as the pipe run is quite long, and has several
right-angled bends in it, I feel that it would be a good idea to have some
sections that could be removed, just in case of a blockage. I know I said
when we were discussing this before, that the waste would be predominantly
just dirty water, but with the best will in the world, sooner or later,
we're going to get a clog up. So, here's the question. Is the OD of "32 mm"
solvent pipe, the same as that of "32 mm" push-fit pipe ? If so, could I
then use solvent weld pipe for the main straight runs, but have occasional
push-fit bends, for instance, on that pipe, that would allow me to 'open up'
or remove sections, if the need arose ?

Any particular makes known to work in this way? I'm looking at B&Q for local
convenience, but am open to other suggestions. They seem to have a range
called 'Flo-past' or some such, which *appears*, at least, to have solvent
and push-fit variants ...

General update on the burger joint progress. Front of house and kitchen
floors are down. I've almost finished the major project of the counter now.
What a beast it is, and what a bitch it's been to construct ! Char grill has
arrived, and is being gas-connected this week. Fryers and chip scuttle
arriving tomorrow. Extraction and filtration is in. Fridges and freezers are
arriving. Have sourced an excellent fully guaranteed 100% Aberdeen Angus
burger with full traceability from the herd to the butcher. Signage and
other allied stuff is done. Menus are at the printers. Daughter has the
website under construction. Hoping to be open by the end of the month, so
watch this space !! d:-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 8:08*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
[...]

The usual trick on this sort of run is to use swept-tee's in some of
the places where you would have a 90 degree bend, and to insert a
solvent weld screw-cap end in the "unused" leg of the tee. No need to
change from solv-weld anywhere.

This is a good thing, as unlike comventional drainage, you will have a
(small) positive pressure in the pipes - and a greater chance of
leaks. Solv-weld is definitely the thing to use here.

Where you use the screw-cap ends, it's also a good idea to screw the
cap down with just a smear of appropriate silicon sealant (such as LS-
X).

Remember to have points so you can fully drain off any trapped water
when you do need to strip-down, and room for buckets to fit
underneath.

Also try to arrange for the main vertical rise to be very close to the
pump, and then go gently (saniflo recommend 100:1) downhill from
there.

If you must change from solv-weld, 32mm solvent-weld pipe will couple
with 32mm compression fittings, but NOT with 32mm push fit fittings
(or at least that's the case with 40mm, so I assume 32mm is the same).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

All excellent info and advice Dom. Thanks.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/06/2011 20:08, Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Nope - they are deliberately incompatible. You will need a universal (i.e.
compression) to get them to mate successfully.

(SWMBO suggested some soft music and chocolates while reading this over my
shoulder!)

pipe for the main straight runs, but have occasional push-fit bends, for
instance, on that pipe, that would allow me to 'open up' or remove
sections, if the need arose ?

Best solution is to use some swept tee fittings in place of an elbow. Then
fit a rodding eye to the unused side of the tee.

Any particular makes known to work in this way? I'm looking at B&Q for
local convenience, but am open to other suggestions. They seem to have a
range called 'Flo-past' or some such, which *appears*, at least, to have
solvent and push-fit variants ...

They all do - but they are different sizes. So its easier to stick with
one all the way through. Solvent with rodding access is probably best.

General update on the burger joint progress. Front of house and kitchen
floors are down. I've almost finished the major project of the counter

Did you get your black and white tiles?

now. What a beast it is, and what a bitch it's been to construct ! Char
grill has arrived, and is being gas-connected this week. Fryers and chip
scuttle arriving tomorrow. Extraction and filtration is in. Fridges and
freezers are arriving. Have sourced an excellent fully guaranteed 100%
Aberdeen Angus burger with full traceability from the herd to the
butcher. Signage and other allied stuff is done. Menus are at the
printers. Daughter has the website under construction. Hoping to be open
by the end of the month, so watch this space !! d:-)

Arfa

Good luck!

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks for that John. That seems to be the consensus so far. As to the
tiles, no, not exactly ... We finished up with a vinyl that is rated as
'heavy domestic / light commercial.' The guy who supplied it is one of our
old regular cafe customers, and he was quite honest about how robust he
thought it was going to be. At the end of the day, if it lasts a year before
we have to replace it, we will be happy. The guy is insisting that he wants
to be a customer again when we get it open, so I guess it would not be in
his best interests to sell us something that was really poor.

Still, it achieves the effect that we wanted, and I guess it has two
chances. Hard to say how durable it will be when the great unwashed start
trampling it, but it seems pretty robust and decent quality, from what I can
see.

Thanks for your good wishes. They're appreciated.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 8:08*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

Any particular makes known to work in this way? I'm looking at B&Q for local
convenience, but am open to other suggestions. They seem to have a range
called 'Flo-past' or some such, which *appears*, at least, to have solvent
and push-fit variants ...

I don't know whether their 32mm/solvent weld is reliable but from
personal experience, I would avoid anything from FloPlast / FloFit:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...1d10e96691d?q=

After that, I printed out pages of complaints from Screwfix's forums
and sent them to the MD. His PA asked that I return the fixings for
investigation and told me that they'd had problems with FP in the past
but thought they'd been cured. Result: full refund, £50 voucher
(decent of SF but would've prefered not to have to rip the kitchen
out), confirmation that seals were once gain defective and that SF
were re-opening the matter with FP.

I think some of the older complaints have disappeared from the SF
website forum since the makeover but some are still there. People
generally seem not to hold them in high esteem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for your good wishes. They're appreciated.

Arfa

We have 5 fast food joints within 100 yards of my house, but I still
can't get a decent burger, or what I consider edible chips. If I could,
I'd be round there like a shot, (almost) regardless of price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

In a commercial pumped installation, I would go for BS 3505 (imperial)
or DIN 8061 (metric) plastic pipe, which is guaranteed to cope with
pressures of 15 bar in the size you need. It is available with a wide
range of solvent weld and threaded fittings, including valves that you
can use to create drain-down points. It is also more substantial than
waste pipe and better able to cope with accidental misuse.

There are plenty of suppliers, but this is an easy site to find the
different pipes and fittings on.

http://www.pisces-aqua.co.uk/acatalo..._fittings.html

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Colin. I'll take a look.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2011 01:02, Arfa Daily wrote:
Thanks for that John. That seems to be the consensus so far. As to the
tiles, no, not exactly ... We finished up with a vinyl that is rated as
'heavy domestic / light commercial.' The guy who supplied it is one of
our old regular cafe customers, and he was quite honest about how robust
he thought it was going to be. At the end of the day, if it lasts a year
before we have to replace it, we will be happy. The guy is insisting
that he wants to be a customer again when we get it open, so I guess it
would not be in his best interests to sell us something that was really
poor.

Still, it achieves the effect that we wanted, and I guess it has two
chances. Hard to say how durable it will be when the great unwashed
start trampling it, but it seems pretty robust and decent quality, from
what I can see.

In the clean areas of my factory I used a heavy commercial grade vinyl.
It was about 3mm thick and got regular heavy foot traffic - up to 22
hours a days at times. That lasted about 10 years before falling foul of
metal chair legs eating their way through their plastic ends and then
into the vinyl.

Colin Bignell