Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall Anchor Set/Tool Set ,£8. 99 each *

FYI available from Aldi on Thursday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-05-31-11-13

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FYI available from Aldi on Thursday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...11-05-31-11-13

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that IIRC.

Sounds good, but check what size fixings it uses. Some years ago I
bought a cheapo set (before the days of Aldi) but it used M4 fixings
rather than the more usual M5's. It can cope with the shanks of M5
screws but the heads are to wide to fit the jaw of the gripper so I need
to keep a screw with suitably filed down head in the case for setting use.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 1, 9:00*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
FYI available from Aldi on Thursday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...4.htm?WT.mc_id...

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that IIRC.

How useful are these things really? I'll admit to not being convinced
its worthwhile.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2011 15:53, Tabby wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:00 am, The Medway
wrote:
FYI available from Aldi on Thursday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...4.htm?WT.mc_id...

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that IIRC.

How useful are these things really? I'll admit to not being convinced
its worthwhile.

NT

I reckon they're far better than anything else for achieving a firm
fixing in stud walls when you can't contrive to screw into a stud. I've
got a washbasin firmly anchored to the plasterboard wall in my bathroom
with a couple of these[1] - but I did have to buy some longer screws
than those provided.

[1] I got my fixings - and the setting tool - from Screwfix, so I don't
know whether the Aldi ones are identical - but they look very similar.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:53:38 -0700 (PDT), Tabby wrote:

On Jun 1, 9:00Â*am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
FYI available from Aldi on Thursday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...4.htm?WT.mc_id...

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that IIRC.

How useful are these things really? I'll admit to not being convinced
its worthwhile.

NT

I find them very usefil in studwork but I have found a couple of issues
with this type of setting tool - bring it in from cold shed means
condensation on the pulling shaft and the friction grips works less well -
the pulling anvil is fixed to the shaft with a allen caphaed screw (at
least the ones from sf) if this becomes loose and you dont notice then
setting a fixing can often strip the thread out of the shaft - I've had 2
go like that in the 10 years I've used sf's version - I much prefefr the
cantilever type with 2 handles but they are not so easy to get into
confined spaces
--
(º€¢.¸(¨*€¢.¸ ¸.€¢*¨)¸.€¢Âº)
.€¢Â°€¢. Nik .€¢Â°€¢.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...4.htm?WT.mc_id...

How useful are these things really? I'll admit to not being convinced
its worthwhile.

I've never had any problem getting them to 'bite' using the bolt, they
look remarkably like the silverline one, the reviews on amazon aren't
too encouraging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
FYI available from Aldi on Thursday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...4.htm?WT.mc_id...

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that IIRC.

How useful are these things really? I'll admit to not being convinced
its worthwhile.

NT

Setting tools or wall anchors?

Setting tool is useful if you use a lot of anchors- like wot I do
sometimes. For DIY use its not vital, but at that price why not?

Anchors give the strongest PB fixing you are going to get other than
finding a stud - assuming there are studs & its not dot/dab.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
FYI available from Aldi on Thursday.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...4.htm?WT.mc_id...

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that IIRC.

How useful are these things really? I'll admit to not being convinced
its worthwhile.

The fixings are good ... never had one of the tools ... always 'set' by
simply tightening up the screw against a spanner held 'flat' as a spacer, or
even a penny washer ... once it is set, fixing the item gives the final
tighten on screw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:53:38 -0700 (PDT), Tabby wrote:

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that

IIRC.

How useful are these things really? I'll admit to not being convinced
its worthwhile.

Aye, what advantage does the setting tool have over just tightening
the screw? I can see if you have a number to do it's quicker but
apart from that, consistency of set?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:53:38 -0700 (PDT), Tabby wrote:

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that

IIRC.
How useful are these things really? I'll admit to not being convinced
its worthwhile.

Aye, what advantage does the setting tool have over just tightening
the screw? I can see if you have a number to do it's quicker but
apart from that, consistency of set?

FWIW, I have had so many lose grip and spin in the plasterboard trying
to get the wretched things tight by screwing that I'm tempted to go and
buy it whether it's good or not! I also find it quite hard to judge when
the legs are against the board without going too far.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2011 13:55, Scott M wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:53:38 -0700 (PDT), Tabby wrote:

Bargain at £8.99, the setting tool alone costs more than that

IIRC.
How useful are these things really? I'll admit to not being convinced
its worthwhile.

Aye, what advantage does the setting tool have over just tightening
the screw? I can see if you have a number to do it's quicker but
apart from that, consistency of set?

Just quicker really.

FWIW, I have had so many lose grip and spin in the plasterboard trying
to get the wretched things tight by screwing that I'm tempted to go and
buy it whether it's good or not! I also find it quite hard to judge when
the legs are against the board without going too far.

Never really had a problem with them spinning, just tap them home so the
pointed bits stick in.

The setting tool avoids that problem & fully expands the legs regardless
of the length of the fixing - just kinda stops then they are extended.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

FWIW, I have had so many lose grip and spin in the plasterboard trying
to get the wretched things tight by screwing that I'm tempted to go and
buy it whether it's good or not! I also find it quite hard to judge when
the legs are against the board without going too far.

Never really had a problem with them spinning, just tap them home so the
pointed bits stick in.

I suspect at least one was trying to be clever and using a power driver
but, as you say, it's a slow process by hand.

Anyway, went to Aldi yesterday and bought the last set in the shop so
other people must think they're worth it too. Had a quick play and am
most impressed with it; well made tool and looks like it should be a
good'un.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 19:25:12 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Never really had a problem with them spinning, just tap them home so the
pointed bits stick in.

Aye, can't say I've ever had a problem with spinning, even when I've
removed the pointy bits when using over tiles. or other hard surface.

The setting tool avoids that problem & fully expands the legs regardless
of the length of the fixing - just kinda stops then they are extended.

I may well invest, I have seen the backside of anchors I have used in
the past and "set" by hand that weren't really set. Firm enough but
not properly set. Not going to do 60 mile round trip to the nearest
Aldi just for them though, especially as they have probably sold
out...

--
Cheers
Dave.